Gio Discussion Thread

stevemac

6 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Parkhead, Amsterdam, Anfield.

10 goals against and 0 goals for.

3 listless performances. 

The way he sets up un these games is so bizarre. It’s like he wants to get men behind the ball and park the bus, but there’s none of the aggression, grafting or fight that allows us to do that and make a game scrappy so it’s all just very passive and easy for the opposition.

Seriously question his decision making to not play a pacey forward to get in behind Liverpools high line last night.

Last night was probably the only time no-one has got in behind Liverpool when playing them this season.
Just like the games at parkhead, his negative tactics play into opponents hands.

Used to love watching us play big games in Europe, now I think we go in without belief. Didnt expect a win at Liverpool, but it was a training game for them from pretty much the first minute.

1 minute ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

The way he sets up un these games is so bizarre. It’s like he wants to get men behind the ball and park the bus, but there’s none of the aggression, grafting or fight that allows us to do that and make a game scrappy so it’s all just very passive and easy for the opposition.

We’re beat before a ball is kicked.

5 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

We’re beat before a ball is kicked.

And the worrying thing about that is it’s starting to filter through to the stands. Like if we were to play that lot this weekend, I wouldn’t give us a chance, and I’ve not felt like that in a long time.

The players didn't believe in themselves last night. They were defeated before a ball was kicked in anger.

That leads me to think they don't really buy into what the coaching staff are instilling.

Not one player stood on the ball last night. It was a hot potato when we had possession. A sign of a lack of confidence and belief.

8 minutes ago, CoplandRoad83 said:

Seriously question his decision making to not play a pacey forward to get in behind Liverpools high line last night.

Last night was probably the only time no-one has got in behind Liverpool when playing them this season.
Just like the games at parkhead, his negative tactics play into opponents hands.

Used to love watching us play big games in Europe, now I think we go in without belief. Didnt expect a win at Liverpool, but it was a training game for them from pretty much the first minute.

100% this. Zero thought on how to make life difficult for the opposition.

We set up and play into celtic’s hands and he did it last night.

Every Liverpool fan and pundit saying the same thing pre match: “hope they don’t have any fast wingers or pace up top. Or a runner from midfield” 

6 hours ago, RFC55 said:

But we play each team twice in the groups so this would technically still work? 

Yeah I do believe we will get a result against Liverpool next week and Ajax at Ibrox.

The league however I'm unsure that's why I said I hope he proves me wrong.

9 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Did I seriously just read its acceptable and correct that teams in the CL are fitter, faster and more physical than us? Wit?!

Don’t think anybody said it’s acceptable, but it’s understandable. Also doesn’t mean our fitness levels are anywhere near good enough at the moment either, because they aren’t.

2 hours ago, Gaffbear said:

We should have went toe to toe with the same aggression and heart .

Aye they're better but we looked uninterested, unfit, clueless and just hoping we kept the score down. 

Getting beat is part of the game but losing with no fight is unforgiveable. Happened against the taigs and ajax and now Liverpool. 

Someone is to blame 

most of our team dont have guts.Too many of them last night were up against their FIFA23 heroes and were blown away in awe.

I was over the moon when we qualified for the Champions league - and looking forward to playing these top teams.

But we just blew it before the competition even started ! not bringing in any new players - then all these injuries.

But then I thought, well most of this team got us to the Europa final, so we should be okay.

Boy ! I was so wrong - this is just going to get worse before it gets any better.

45 minutes ago, CoplandRoad83 said:

Who is this pacey forward on our books that you want to play?

Wright or Sakala I assume.....you are deluded if you believe it would be as simple as playing either of them to get in behind them!!

The reality is Liverpool were turning the ball over from us with ease any time we got to the halfway line, no matter who we were to play up top it would have been a thankless task

2 minutes ago, TEFTONG said:

I'm desperate to see him bring success and trophies to Ibrox, but the negative passive displays allied with him and his backroom team looking at a laptop last night whilst we needed leadership, means my patience with him is almost worn out.

Not having a go at you here mate, but if you're close to being done with Gio that speaks volumes imo

20 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

Who is this pacey forward on our books that you want to play?

Wright or Sakala I assume.....you are deluded if you believe it would be as simple as playing either of them to get in behind them!!

The reality is Liverpool were turning the ball over from us with ease any time we got to the halfway line, no matter who we were to play up top it would have been a thankless task

I said in the prematch thread I thought this was set up for Sakala to get in behind, despite him being far from perfect. I didnt think this would make it easy, but would have given us a better weapon in counter attack. Liverpool have given up a chance in behind in almost every game they have played this season, we had no-one really set up to exploit that until Sakala and Matondo came on.  I also would have played Jack for more stability in midfield.

I'm not saying the above would have made us win the game, it just baffles me that we didnt set up to at least try and exploit Liverpoools obvious weakness, like so many others have this season. We asked no questions of their fullbacks. 

his style of play would bore you to death. i don't think the players are buying into it.  were absolutely brutal to watch,  no heart no fight no spirit, no one expected a result against Liverpool but the way we approached the game was embarrassing. he treated it leg a two legged tie. 

even his interviews are boring ffs. lol just wish he would pack his bags.  the players have regressed under him, maybe Kent and Morelos isn't signing new contracts because of him and who could blame them. 

we have a half decent side and he has is bringing the worst out of them. 

Struggling managers always have their loyal supporters can remember strong support when it was doing bad for advocaat, eck, warburton etc but literally never heard any big support for gio quite strange. Think it's a combination of losing the league, style of play and lack of personality.