Wage bill

With another addition In Yilmaz seemingly done, we must’ve added A LOT to our wage bill this summer. 

Considering 12 months ago we were told the wage bill needed to be lowered, is it safe to assume we’ve decided to spend less of the Bassey/Aribo/Patterson fees and use more of that on the wage bill?

Is that sustainable and who do we have out of contract over the next 12 months to lighten it?

Do we expect to see some departures now and if so, who do you think will be leaving? 

9 minutes ago, plymouthranger said:

With another addition In Yilmaz seemingly done, we must’ve added A LOT to our wage bill this summer. 

Considering 12 months ago we were told the wage bill needed to be lowered, is it safe to assume we’ve decided to spend less of the Bassey/Aribo/Patterson fees and use more of that on the wage bill?

Is that sustainable and who do we have out of contract over the next 12 months to lighten it?

Do we expect to see some departures now and if so, who do you think will be leaving? 

Id imagine Davis, Shagger and Arfield have also taken substantial pay cuts.

4 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

With the recent additions and possibly one more, Davis & Arfield will see very little game time which makes the extensions pointless and a waste of money.

I think their roles are to mentor their younger replacements and fill the euro squad. 

14 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

With the recent additions and possibly one more, Davis & Arfield will see very little game time which makes the extensions pointless and a waste of money.

Some continuity is required when making a large amount of changes to a squad  - especially with experienced players like the aforementioned. They’ve both played at the highest level and are model pros.. having them around the squad, even with limited game time still has its benefits.

12 minutes ago, Iakona said:

Some continuity is required when making a large amount of changes to a squad  - especially with experienced players like the aforementioned. They’ve both played at the highest level and are model pros.. having them around the squad, even with limited game time still has its benefits.

I think it’s a bit over rated. Can equally have the opposite effect. Lot of squad players who aren’t good enough to make the first team. Are they going to be first in and last to leave when they know they won’t be playing. Coaches are for experience, training and standards. And then you need experienced heads who are actually on the field.

Re-signing Davis and Arfield who hopefully will see little to no game time if everyone stays fit seems a bit of a short sighted move given the names we’ve brought in. May as well get Boyd and Miller back in to have around the squad for their experience by that logic. 

10 minutes ago, Iakona said:

I keep hearing this, and although true, we have tons of leadership in the dressing room with the likes of Tav, Goldson, Barisic, Lundstram, Jack and now Lawrence.

40 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Contracts might be based around any game time they get. Can’t really say it’s a waste of money without knowing the ins and outs 

1 minute ago, TamCoopz said:

Contracts might be based around any game time they get. Can’t really say it’s a waste of money without knowing the ins and outs 

They are no signing for nought mate. I doubt they would sign a contract based on game time knowing it would be limited.

Who knows, Davis still might turn out to be valuable but I don't see where Scotty fits in anymore. More so, when Hagi returns.

1 minute ago, TamCoopz said:

True. Fingers crossed. I hope we don’t have to rely on them for any important matches really which is itself worrying. So probably would have preferred the club were a bit more forward looking and signed some free/cheap youngsters or loans that had the potential to improve us in the year to come.

68 appearances between them last year and combined 6 goal+assists. Turning 38 and 34 this year. I just don’t see the logic behind it.

1 minute ago, bluenoz said:

They are no signing for nought mate. I doubt they would sign a contract based on game time knowing it would be limited.

Who knows, Davis still might turn out to be valuable but I don't see where Scotty fits in anymore. More so, when Hagi returns.

I don’t particularly agree with them being kept on, especially with all the new signings but they will help settle the new guys in, just need to trust that it’s what Gio wanted and hope we get another 60 game season and they can make a contribution to wining trophies 

16 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

There is some amount of dross that needs shifted, could get rid of the likes of Helander, Roofe, Sakala, Davis, Arfield, Katic, Simpson, Middleton and wouldn’t know any different.

New deals for McGregor, Arfield and Davis are baffling.

Roofe has 18 and 16 goals in his 2 seasons here, of course we would know different losing that kind of record.

I'm not convinced our wage bill will be any higher than a couple of months ago. I've no idea about numbers but just looking at the ins and outs as a fan I don't think we have pushed the boat out too far, if at all.

Added to wage bill

Yilmaz

Colak

Matondo

Davies

Lawrence

Souter

Tillman

Katic

Removed from wage bill

Ramsay

Diallo

Aribo

Bassey

Itten

Balogun

Hastie

Firth

McGregor - Potentially on reduced terms?

Davis - Potentially on reduced terms

Arfield - Potentially on reduced terms