Wage bill

10 minutes ago, The Specky Liar said:

Roofe has 18 and 16 goals in his 2 seasons here, of course we would know different losing that kind of record.

I do believe roofe is our top scorer since he joined despite missing so many games.

Could argue that says a lot about our other players ability to score goals. Likewise since he's joined he's played 30 odd more games than Ryan Jack as well

Tillman < Aribo

Lawrence < Ramsey

Colak = Itten

Yilmaz > Bassey

Matondo = or < Diallo

Souttar = Balogun

+ Davies wage

Reduced for McGregor, Arfield, Davis

I reckon the difference between Tillman and Lawrence wage savings plus the reduced 3 wages probably get close to making up for Davies' wage.

So overall I think our wage bill will be fine tbh, plus plenty extra funds in. But would be good to get the excess like Katic and Simpson off it

2 hours ago, plymouthranger said:

With another addition In Yilmaz seemingly done, we must’ve added A LOT to our wage bill this summer. 

Considering 12 months ago we were told the wage bill needed to be lowered, is it safe to assume we’ve decided to spend less of the Bassey/Aribo/Patterson fees and use more of that on the wage bill?

Is that sustainable and who do we have out of contract over the next 12 months to lighten it?

Do we expect to see some departures now and if so, who do you think will be leaving? 

I am sure the board have it under control. Our staffing costs are the highest they have ever been and we are carrying the most expensive squad we've ever had yet we are about to post big profits from the last financial year. And will again next year. In thanks obviously to the Patterson, Gerrard and European money obviously, and then the Aribo, Itten and Bassey money for next year. With the board declaring we were finally self sufficient and no longer needing loans from directors to keep the doors open we can only assume things are pretty positive for a change. By all accounts we have been breaking all sorts of merchandise records with Castore, Bisgrove has stated commercially the club has never been stronger, we keep selling out expensive season tickets, we are expanding hospitality every summer across the stadium which rakes in millions and we are now finally selling assets for big money. I don't think the club as a whole has ever been stronger. On and off the field. 

As for departures, there needs to be clubs interested and it's not often clubs are interested in players who are either frozen out, cast aside, out of favour or happy to sit about doing nothing. That's the hard bit. The squad is huge and i am sure the club is trying to offload certain players but it's far harder than just binning them. It looks like gone are the days of Murray and Bain just throwing a few hundred grand at someone to rip up their contract. 

Many of us won't like it but i think the board might just deserve some credit. It looks very much like we are finally on the right road. 

2 hours ago, Iakona said:

Id imagine Davis, Shagger and Arfield have also taken substantial pay cuts.

I am seeing a lot of this assumption but no one actually knows if that is true at all. They may well have, but with it probably being the last contract of their careers, do you really think they are going to sign up for a bit part role on reduced terms? I'm not so sure. 

2 hours ago, bluenoz said:

With the recent additions and possibly one more, Davis & Arfield will see very little game time which makes the extensions pointless and a waste of money.

Again, we don't know the thinking behind new deals for these guys. We can all guess but no one really knows. We won't be buying a new keeper so the McGregor one may well be necessary over the season whether we agree with it or not. The Arfield one however i do agree is a strange decision. Davis i can understand given his standing in the game. 

1 hour ago, bluenoz said:

A 29yr old Croatian Internationalist doesn't have the experience to mentor younger players?

What is he going to teach them? How to feign injury? Crash bottles at the Piggery? How to hide? How to pass backwards all the time? How to let their man get across them to score against us?  How to down tools for months at a time? 

1 hour ago, graeme_4 said:

I’m saying he isn’t a leader. Absolutely crumbles for months. 

Spot on. Certain games mentally kill him. 

2 hours ago, plymouthranger said:

With another addition In Yilmaz seemingly done, we must’ve added A LOT to our wage bill this summer. 

Considering 12 months ago we were told the wage bill needed to be lowered, is it safe to assume we’ve decided to spend less of the Bassey/Aribo/Patterson fees and use more of that on the wage bill?

Is that sustainable and who do we have out of contract over the next 12 months to lighten it?

Do we expect to see some departures now and if so, who do you think will be leaving? 

Some good points there, but things have really changed over the last few weeks mate.

The signings so far have exceeded what most of us envisaged. People on here were getting nervous 3 weeks ago and that's understandable. 

We made over 40 million selling 3 players this season and have brought some really good replacements in. 

Proven players (a few internationalists) who haven't had the match time they wanted, and some up and coming youngsters hungry for silverware. 

The money left over will be more than enough to cover their salaries imo. There are obviously players who can't make it who cost us, but we can loan them out at least. 

Feeling really positive about our signings. The board have given Gio the opportunity to buy his own players and it all looks really good so far. 

Looking forwards to the pace of our game improving even further and having at least two quality players for each position. At last!!!!

8 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Jack fits for the Scottish quota for Europe, so unless we replace him with another Scottish trained player, we would have to reduce our Euro squad down from 25 to 24.

Jack generally plays well in high stress games.

He would have been a star player if he hadn't been so unfortunate with injuries. 

Underrated by some imo. 

20 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Jack fits for the Scottish quota for Europe, so unless we replace him with another Scottish trained player, we would have to reduce our Euro squad down from 25 to 24.

Get what your saying, alternatively we could put some faith in younger players.

9 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Jack is going nowhere. He has looked really sharp in the two halves I have seen him play so far.

He is a big-time player in Europe and a winning goal in SC yet he doesn't make people's selections in the starting eleven thread. 

Strange.

If fit, he is still one of the first names on the team sheet.

As I've mentioned before so does helander and roofe. Problem is we can't rely on them to be fit for prolonged periods of time. Therefore they become a liability to an extent. Still believe Jack is our best midfielder however missing large chunks of almost every season does the team no good at all and I'm not interested in individual players but the team.

Mental that roofe has played a lot more games since he signed than Jack has yet cunts want roofe out the door despite being our top scorer I believe since he signed but Jack gets a free pass

1 minute ago, rabc10000 said:

Get what your saying, alternatively we could put some faith in younger players.

McCann is the obvious option, but he does not qualify till next year due to us signing him from Man Utd I'm sure.

Would be much more comfortable going into a euro tie away against a decent side with Jack rather than one of our lesser fancied B-Team players.

If we had an upcoming star in the youths in his position, I would be tempted to agree, as his injury worries as an issue.

4 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

McCann is the obvious option, but he does not qualify till next year due to us signing him from Man Utd I'm sure.

Would be much more comfortable going into a euro tie away against a decent side with Jack rather than one of our lesser fancied B-Team players.

If we had an upcoming star in the youths in his position, I would be tempted to agree, as his injury worries as an issue.

The main problem with that is can we rely on Jack to be fit for those important games, and if missing we are a body down anyway. It's a tough call but for me with all his injuries I would rather replace him if possible