Central midfield, and the lack of investment

graeme_4

18 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

We can’t just go out and sign a £10m player for a position we already have plenty of options in though.

Also, we can’t sign £10m players because they’ll expect far more in wages than we’ll be offering.

This is an important point that many don't understand.

Pointless as we don't play that way, we have plenty attacking mids that either don't get chance to play there or don't work hard off ball and fly into tackles etc. 

CAM or attacking CM. 

Had Aribo.  

Have Hagi, Lowry, Lawrence, Tillman, Kelly* might have loaned

Kent could play CAM * if he could shoot. 

CDMs coming back to take ball of our CBs, 

I genuinly don't know what the plan is just now in the team. Went all in with Gerrard and Wilson and an Identity and 4.3.3 - now seems a bit lost - played with way less intensity and attacking. 

If Kent , Matondo, Sakala, Wright can't add a lot of goals, then go with 2 up top, wingback add width, CDM covered the full back positions. 

Boring side to side doing nothing football,  think we were warned about this with Gios previous tactics either Feyenord. 

Lots of possession, quick wingers, lump up top.

14 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

Ross Wilson has done his job this summer. Last night was on GVB and I'll say it what else does he expect when playing a midfield 2 of Jack and Kamara. Never mind playing Kamara as a "10" 

I don’t think he has, or we wouldn’t have 4 or 5 CM options that barely play a forward pass, never mind cut teams open. 

Hate to say it, but if you look at that wee cunt McGregor for them he gets the ball, gets his head up and drives forward. None of ours do that. 

4 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

I don’t think he has, or we wouldn’t have 4 or 5 CM options that barely play a forward pass, never mind cut teams open. 

Hate to say it, but if you look at that wee cunt McGregor for them he gets the ball, gets his head up and drives forward. None of ours do that. 

We do have those types already here tho Hagi and lowry both injured. Lawrence can play that role and so can Tilman.  Our best midfield was playing as a CB last night mate that's no on Wilson that's on GVB for making a arse of it. 

I ain't no manager but Jack and Kamara in CM doesn't work they offer nothing going forward. 

We need to stop this square pegs in round holes scenario before it is too late, this notion that Kamara can and should be deployed further up the park only works on the odd occasion, more often than not we are left scratching our heads as to why he is up there....Kamara is more used to being on the ball where he can see what's in front of him, twice he gave the ball away cheaply early doors last night as he is trying quick transitions of play ( not his game) maybe away from home against better teams we should play Lundstram & another, at home it's got to be Lundstram with Tillman to his right and for now Lawrence on his left, the front three ought to pick itself when fit, if Lundstram needs a rest then Jack or Kamara play, we have Arfield, McCann & Lowry for the forward thinking midfield berths....stop deploying Lundstram in a back three as we definitely lose something when he isn't in his usual role, it really isn't that difficult to get right but aslong as we are fucking about with players in their unnatural positions we are going to struggle like we did last night.

14 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

We need to stop this square pegs in round holes scenario before it is too late, this notion that Kamara can and should be deployed further up the park only works on the odd occasion, more often than not we are left scratching our heads as to why he is up there....Kamara is more used to being on the ball where he can see what's in front of him, twice he gave the ball away cheaply early doors last night as he is trying quick transitions of play ( not his game) maybe away from home against better teams we should play Lundstram & another, at home it's got to be Lundstram with Tillman to his right and for now Lawrence on his left, the front three ought to pick itself when fit, if Lundstram needs a rest then Jack or Kamara play, we have Arfield, McCann & Lowry for the forward thinking midfield berths....stop deploying Lundstram in a back three as we definitely lose something when he isn't in his usual role, it really isn't that difficult to get right but aslong as we are fucking about with players in their unnatural positions we are going to struggle like we did last night.

Lundstrum in defence worked against Dortmund and it seems like it is now a go to comfort blanket for Gio.

The issue is it was an “emergency” in game decision to counter a particular set of circumstances in that game. I get that Souttar being unavailable and Davis maybe not being match fit / up to speed with his teammates may have scuppered the plan to go to a back 3 last night but we loose too much out of the midfield with Lundstrum being shifted back and a midfield of Jack & Kamara. That partnership was the one that nearly cost Gerrard his job in the Covid season as it was as flat then as it was last night.

With who was available last night should have been a back 4 and Lundstrum, Jack OR Kamara and Tillman or Lawrence in midfield with Colak through the middle and two of Matondo, Lawrence (if not in midfield), Wright or Sakala either side.

1 hour ago, graeme_4 said:

This.

1 hour ago, KingKirk said:

We do have those types already here tho Hagi and lowry both injured. Lawrence can play that role and so can Tilman.  Our best midfield was playing as a CB last night mate that's no on Wilson that's on GVB for making a arse of it. 

I ain't no manager but Jack and Kamara in CM doesn't work they offer nothing going forward. 

I’m not talking about players in the ‘10’ role or AM, like Hagi, Lowry, Lawrence etc. 

I mean those that are more deep lying being unable to do what’s needed.

2 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

I’m not talking about players in the ‘10’ role or AM, like Hagi, Lowry, Lawrence etc. 

I mean those that are more deep lying being unable to do what’s needed.

Exactly, we need a midfielder that can carry us up the park 20-30 yards, see a forward defence splitting pass and chip in with a few goals. 

5 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

Lowry has got to get a chance this week.

Don’t think he’s match fit last I seen was he needed game time with B team to get up to speed, think we need to be easing Lowry in gently can’t expect him to come in and be the answer to the midfield issues we’ve had for about 4 seasons now 

16 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Don’t think he’s match fit last I seen was he needed game time with B team to get up to speed, think we need to be easing Lowry in gently can’t expect him to come in and be the answer to the midfield issues we’ve had for about 4 seasons now 

Seen he played 45 mins last night on FF , cant find out how he did but the sooner hes fit the better. He showed more attacking play then any of that new crop we have , any time hes been given a chance

2 hours ago, KingKirk said:

Ross Wilson has done his job this summer. Last night was on GVB and I'll say it what else does he expect when playing a midfield 2 of Jack and Kamara. Never mind playing Kamara as a "10" 

That’s yet to be seen.

I have massive doubts if we have signed The attacking players we required.

The defence looks a mess.

The midfield is stale, lacks drive and creativity.

3 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

That’s yet to be seen.

I have massive doubts if we have signed The attacking players we required.

The defence looks a mess.

The midfield is stale, lacks drive and creativity.

And I will still maintain that not making any hard decisions last summer has made it harder for us this summer to get it right.

4 hours ago, falkirkNS said:

We were set up as if we were playing fucking real madrid fs!!!

We have just fought ourselves to a major european final.

Gio will not have slept well imo.

Major regrets that might just cost us on the pitch... ie selling morelos/kent signing new comtracts.

Why? We have made a healthy profit this window.

2 hours ago, Creampuff said:

The first half of this post is so good and the second half is so bad.

At his best Ryan Jack absolutely ran our midfield and done a superb job of it. Also he played half of the league fixtures the season you’re saying he “barely kicked a ball”. The same half we were barely conceding shots on target, far less goals.

He wasn't one of our main midfielders during the 55 season. Aribo, Davis, Arfield and Kamara all played more minutes and contributed more that season. In my opinion he's never ran a Rangers midfield either. Steven Davis ran our midfield that year. I'm not disputing he can do a job, primarily as back up to Lundstram, but he shouldn't be starting games for us if we are full strength. He barely completes 90 minutes these days. 

I get playing Lundstarm in front of the CH's in Europe or against celtic but not against Livi or this coming Saturday. He needs to be played further up the park where he is in shooting range because he can shoot with either foot.

We have four forward-thinking midfielders in Lawrence, Tillman, Lowry and McCann.

Jack and Kamara need to show immediate improvement from last night.

I would play McCann on Saturday, but Gio won't.

14 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

And I will still maintain that not making any hard decisions last summer has made it harder for us this summer to get it right.

Was there any hard decisions to make last summer? I get what you're saying, we should've sold two of Morelos/Aribo/Kent while they had maximum value but I think this summer proved with Bassey if any club was serious about a bid we would've been receptive of it, I get that we could've put feelers out that we were prepared to sell but we're a Scottish club, if teams from a big five league were genuinely interested in them I think they would've made life uncomfortable for us regardless.

For whatever reason clubs weren't showing interest.

20 minutes ago, NixonRFC said:

Was there any hard decisions to make last summer? I get what you're saying, we should've sold two of Morelos/Aribo/Kent while they had maximum value but I think this summer proved with Bassey if any club was serious about a bid we would've been receptive of it, I get that we could've put feelers out that we were prepared to sell but we're a Scottish club, if teams from a big five league were genuinely interested in them I think they would've made life uncomfortable for us regardless.

For whatever reason clubs weren't showing interest.

Gerrard put a halt on no major sales until after the qualifiers were concluded. I think it's a given that Kamara's new contract last season was because he didn't get a move. I think lack of being open to sales was half of the issue.

Other things like re-signing Balogun instead of making a long term decision about the centre backs, knowing that Goldson's contract was 50/50, and Katic was no longer in Gerrard's plans meant that was delayed until this season.

We can't do major surgery on every area of the squad at the one time so that is why we took the easy option of renewing Davis and Arfield and McGregor this year - and that's because the issues in other areas have mounted up.

I would say the forward position is a bigger worry than midfield and if Morelos and Kent do leave then we can turn ibrox into a Tesco.

Watching most of livi and all of last nights games was excruciatingly bad and gio ain’t the type of coach to change his negative philosophy.