Morelos To Sevilla? - Ibrox Noise

20 minutes ago, NixonRFC said:

That's what we rated him at, not sure anyone else ever did, Lille had an €8m offer for him apparently knocked back in 2020 but that's as big as anyone ever went, for one reason or another, despite his goals in Europe, no-one seemingly wanted him.

They put in £16m and we wanted £20m. 

20 minutes ago, NixonRFC said:

That's what we rated him at, not sure anyone else ever did, Lille had an €8m offer for him apparently knocked back in 2020 but that's as big as anyone ever went, for one reason or another, despite his goals in Europe, no-one seemingly wanted him.

Lille offered 16mill

46 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

It was euros, so the 20 million we were holding out for was around £17.5million at the time. 

Realistically we should not be turning down bids of over £15million for anyone unless they have a meteoric rise and are being chased by half of Europe e.g. Bassey. 

9 minutes ago, plymouthranger said:

It was euros, so the 20 million we were holding out for was around £17.5million at the time. 

Realistically we should not be turning down bids of over £15million for anyone unless they have a meteoric rise and are being chased by half of Europe e.g. Bassey. 

Was it around the time Dembele left them for 23 million? If so can understand why board held out for more on assumption more bids would come.

11 minutes ago, plymouthranger said:

Pretty sure it wasn’t.

43 minutes ago, Albertz85 said:

Was it around the time Dembele left them for 23 million? If so can understand why board held out for more on assumption more bids would come.

Would have been stupid using that as our reasoning though every player is different plus they were in the CL etc 

3 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

Mate theres not a hope in hell they put an offer in anywhere near that, I remember folk talking about that figure but that's all it ever was, then they used Jim White's interview with the Lille chairman as proof but if you actually listened to it, all he did was confirm a bid he never once said 16m.

If a bid that high came in for Morelos he'd have been out the door quicker than we could've tweeted him goodbye, was only a few month before it that Gerrard nearly walked because he came back from Colombia late and he was dropped for Tynecastle when we got put out the cup.

1 hour ago, NixonRFC said:

Mate theres not a hope in hell they put an offer in anywhere near that, I remember folk talking about that figure but that's all it ever was, then they used Jim White's interview with the Lille chairman as proof but if you actually listened to it, all he did was confirm a bid he never once said 16m.

If a bid that high came in for Morelos he'd have been out the door quicker than we could've tweeted him goodbye, was only a few month before it that Gerrard nearly walked because he came back from Colombia late and he was dropped for Tynecastle when we got put out the cup.

I know for a fact there was. Will PM an admin with a source if you like.

8 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

The board gambled with morelos and kent, especially morelos, that keeping them was worth more on the park than off it, and ran the risk of them leaving on a free

Now it can be argued its mental to knock back 16mill for morelos, but after we did he helped us win the league, get to seville, win the scottish, is that worth 16mill, arguably yes because we never know if his replacement the summer of BCD would have had the same impact, same with kent

So while it looks a bad business decision the now, over the last 2.5 years it maybe a good business decision given we have made a good wad of cash (its a stretch but the board could even argue that morelos and kent helping us to seville helped us sell bassey and aribo for the money we did, lets be honest had we fucked it in the group stages as we almost did under gerrard, theres no way we get over 30mill for they 2)

Exactly this,  Morelos has paid back the club & more with the 1 million transfer we paid for him. Sticks in the throat a bit the money we could have got to reinvest in the squad but we needed his goals and he was carrying the team at times with his performances.

Kent is the biggest mismanagement is my eyes for the large transfer fee we paid & we could get no return of what we paid for him if he leaves us in the summer for free 

9 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

The board gambled with morelos and kent, especially morelos, that keeping them was worth more on the park than off it, and ran the risk of them leaving on a free

Now it can be argued its mental to knock back 16mill for morelos, but after we did he helped us win the league, get to seville, win the scottish, is that worth 16mill, arguably yes because we never know if his replacement the summer of BCD would have had the same impact, same with kent

So while it looks a bad business decision the now, over the last 2.5 years it maybe a good business decision given we have made a good wad of cash (its a stretch but the board could even argue that morelos and kent helping us to seville helped us sell bassey and aribo for the money we did, lets be honest had we fucked it in the group stages as we almost did under gerrard, theres no way we get over 30mill for they 2)

Good post

Folk also need to realise that it’s a team game and if you take the squad that took us to the final, won the league won the cup  etc -  it’s made up of all sorts, loanee’s, freebies, cheap buys.  The whole squad value rises because they all did their bit. 
Won a penalty, defended a possible goal, set someone up. We kept Morelos knowing he’d do his part but other players value will rise too negating the need to sell him. 

Aribo, Bassey and Paterson for example 

11 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

While true, and an excellent point - I don't like that for a business plan, or working model going forward.

Because ultimately sometimes the gamble won't work.

1 hour ago, Loyal72 said:

While true, and an excellent point - I don't like that for a business plan, or working model going forward.

Because ultimately sometimes the gamble won't work.

Aye true, but even buying a player for money is a gamble, everything they do is a gamble, most haven't paid off on the park, but off it some have

27 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Aye true, but even buying a player for money is a gamble, everything they do is a gamble, most haven't paid off on the park, but off it some have

Aw of course, everything can technically be considered a gamble.

But things we can actually control and take a bit of action with, shouldn't be so freely gambled.

For example, thinking that we'd retain the league with the same squad while that lot went through a rebuilding process and deciding to put money elsewhere, EH and BSL.

1 minute ago, Loyal72 said:

Aw of course, everything can technically be considered a gamble.

But things we can actually control and take a bit of action with, shouldn't be so freely gambled.

For example, thinking that we'd retain the league with the same squad while that lot went through a rebuilding process and deciding to put money elsewhere, EH and BSL.

The post 55 squad is a weird one for me, on one hand they fucked it as we crumbled, we were crumbling unde gerrard i dont care what anyone says, gio gave them a wee lift then crumbled anyway, 

However our finances showed they couldn't really do much else, for an unbeaten league season there was barely a sniff of interest in our players, its like clubs looked at our players and thought "they have finally not collapsed in the league, was it a one off or a new dawn" and i dare say they were right, hell i bet even Southampton are regretting the aribo purchase, ajax probably as well regarding bassey and the amount they paid 

Just now, Jimbeamjunior said:

The post 55 squad is a weird one for me, on one hand they fucked it as we crumbled, we were crumbling unde gerrard i dont care what anyone says, gio gave them a wee lift then crumbled anyway, 

However our finances showed they couldn't really do much else, for an unbeaten league season there was barely a sniff of interest in our players, its like clubs looked at our players and thought "they have finally not collapsed in the league, was it a one off or a new dawn" and i dare say they were right, hell i bet even Southampton are regretting the aribo purchase, ajax probably as well regarding bassey and the amount they paid 

The fundamentals of our problems, dare I say, could be fixed with a competent director of football?

For example that 55 squad, perhaps we were guilty of wanting too much for certain players, despite the evidence partially supporting that we had a one off season with that core group.

Bit of wheeling and dealing so to speak.

17 hours ago, Jasper Blues said:

Hindsight is a great thing. 

Nobody knew he would down tools. 

If he had been sold at his best, this place would have exploded. 

Yeh it’s always easy with hindsight. But a world class DoF and management team identify the players that they think either won’t improve or won’t be motivated. 

Maybe there weren’t any signs  that they’d lost the hunger (although I doubt that with Morelos.) But even if there weren’t and they’re down to 1 year and won’t renew. You have to try and move them on then. 

It might be hard to accept a 10 million bid if you’ve fucked it and turned down a 16 million bid already. And they probably knew if we sold Kent+Morelos the league was gone. But sometimes you have to rip the plaster off. Turnover and invest for the next squad to set you up for the next 5 years.

Instead now we’ve lost the league and we’re heavy under dogs for next year. With a very bloated, old, injury prone and stale squad.

Obv with benefit of hindsight we could maybe have got an extra 15 million for Kent, Morelos, kamara. And signed 5-6 younger players. And start of next season we’d have a really good young team with sellable assets again.

Not that I would have trusted Wilson not to fuck it up

6 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

Yeh it’s always easy with hindsight. But a world class DoF and management team identify the players that they think either won’t improve or won’t be motivated. 

Maybe there weren’t any signs  that they’d lost the hunger (although I doubt that with Morelos.) But even if there weren’t and they’re down to 1 year and won’t renew. You have to try and move them on then. 

It might be hard to accept a 10 million bid if you’ve fucked it and turned down a 16 million bid already. And they probably knew if we sold Kent+Morelos the league was gone. But sometimes you have to rip the plaster off. Turnover and invest for the next squad to set you up for the next 5 years.

Instead now we’ve lost the league and we’re heavy under dogs for next year. With a very bloated, old, injury prone and stale squad.

Obv with benefit of hindsight we could maybe have got an extra 15 million for Kent, Morelos, kamara. And signed 5-6 younger players. And start of next season we’d have a really good young team with sellable assets again.

Not that I would have trusted Wilson not to fuck it up

Aren't getting that here.