Is It Time For A New Captain ?

BlueboyG

12 hours ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

I don't know tbh.

Does the captain role hold the same importance in modern football?

Not something I think much about tbh.

I've had this argument levelled at me before and my answer is always if the role isn't a big deal anymore then equally taking the armband off him shouldn't be seen as a big deal and there's no harm in doing so just to see if there's a positive reaction.

11 hours ago, The Hammer 11 said:

A Smart manager would try and find a way to engineer a move in January for tav 

Beale had the perfect opportunity this time last year but he clearly was the opposite of smart.

A huge deal was made out of Kent and Morelos when in reality it should have been Tav, Goldson, Barasic, Lundstram, Kent and Morelos, the only difference was those 2 players contracts made his decision easy as he had no fucking decision to make the 2 players made it for him!

41 minutes ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

It's the manager's job to lead in a strategic manner. 

Tav generally leads by example on the pitch , but he didn't buy the players in the summer. Not his fault that Dessers and co. are useless, he can not force them into becoming good players. Neither did he give that donkey Beale a contract .

It will be up to the new manager to get the best out of those players or ship them out.

The captaincy role is totally overrated by some on here. You'd think it was a higher role than the manager.

There is no natural successor to Tav as captain either.  I doubt any of our players would want the role anyhow. Because apparently the captain is to blame for everything that goes wrong according to some.

You are primarily a punchbag. The mistakes made from boardroom to management level are are all blamed on you.  Any player with a brain would knock it back. Cunt of a job. 

So, we continue to accept mediocrity and a man who clearly has no leadership skills or reasonable level of success on the pitch?  He needs to be pushed to the side.

16 hours ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

As things stand right now, I think Jack Butland is the next Rangers captain but he’s not going to be handed the armband now. 

Can see a situation next season where Tav remains the “club captain” going forward, but as his minutes start to reduce (which they should because he will turn 33 not long after the season starts) Butland will have the armband more on a week to week basis.

I'd love to start next season with someone else wearing the number 2 jersey and a new captain.

17 minutes ago, DMax399 said:

So, we continue to accept mediocrity and a man who clearly has no leadership skills or reasonable level of success on the pitch?  He needs to be pushed to the side.

You clearly didn’t read @Drunk and disorderly.post correctly did you?

7 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

Whoever the new manager is. For me he's got to clear out what remains of the Gerrard era team. 

Tav Goldson Barasic etc all need to go. 

Unfortunately for us many of the new signings need to go first. I doubt Tav and Goldson will be high on the new managers list to ship out.

38 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

Whoever the new manager is. For me he's got to clear out what remains of the Gerrard era team. 

Tav Goldson Barasic etc all need to go. 

Yes, they do they just do not have what it takes to get us winning trophies and are terrified when we play them even when they had half a team out at Ibrox.

I think UEFA are stopping players questioning the ref and the captain is the one that is meant to speak with the Ref on the park. This means the Captain should be someone articulate and intellegent. Will let the manager decide who fits the bill but I don't see him coming into a new club a quater of the way through the season and changing the Captain.

I hope he has a long look at what is needed from now up to the Christmas window and has the money to change our disfunctional defense, midfield and forward line with a player or two in each area. I hope that during the Christmas window we are able to shift some of the dross that has gathered under Wilson and Beale. If Tav stops being Captain, Christmas would be the earliest it would happen.

2 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

Pish. He’s never a shitebag.  He’s been consistent for years contributing goals for the team. 

He’s a defender though. There’s no doubting his ability getting forward but has anyone ever seriously rated him in his actual role of defending?

2 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

He’s a defender though. There’s no doubting his ability getting forward but has anyone ever seriously rated him in his actual role of defending?

They were talking on Open Goal about him being moved in to midfield, which might not be the worst idea as he gets older. He rarely makes any runs from deep these days anyway. 

On 10/10/2023 at 23:08, The Ibrox Derry said:

I don't know tbh.

Does the captain role hold the same importance in modern football?

Not something I think much about tbh.

In the Scottish game and even more so in the rivalry between us and them I would say it’s still a vital role

Celtic’s current captain and their previous prick in the role have been hugely influential to their squads over the last decade

3 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

Pish. He’s never a shitebag.  He’s been consistent for years contributing goals for the team. 

He’s got a losing mentality though same with Goldson and Barasic. Think we need to rid ourselves of that, he’s cost us more goals than he’s contributed to so far this season. 

4 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

Tbf he’s a wing back and playing that system you need your DMF and CB to tuck in.  Pity our managers didn’t really apply that strategy. 

4 hours ago, Wearethepeople72 said:

He’s got a losing mentality though same with Goldson and Barasic. Think we need to rid ourselves of that, he’s cost us more goals than he’s contributed to so far this season. 

So you think 9 goals against us in the SPFL have been his fault when we’ve only conceded 5. 

fail maths at school did you