Euro Squad for Next Year

Discussion on the match and transfer threads ended up discussing Squad Limits and home grown quotas. Might be worth having its own thread as its always brought up when discussing possible deals and the need for Scottish trained players.

Rules for Europe is that the squad has 25 places.

2 must be Goalkeepers at least.

4 of these must be players who spend 3 years at your club between the ages of 15-21. We have only McCrorie, Mayo and Kieron Wright who fits into this category.

4 more must be players trained either at your club like above, or trained by another club in your association between 15-21. Souttar and Jack fall into this category.

u21 Players who have been with the club for 2 or more years, do not have to be registered and can still play. Lowry, King and Devine would qualify. Rice and Lovelace would not. I doubt any of the others are quite ready to be considered ready to step up.

This means you can have a squad of up to 25 players, excluding U21 players.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below is a list of the players who I think are likely to occupy the slots.

1 - Club Trained - McCrorie (likely leaving)

2 - Club Trained - Kieron Wright

3 - Club Trained - Not Filled

4 - Club Trained - Not Filled

5 - Association Trained - Souttar

6 - Association Trained - Jack

7 - Association Trained - Wright (likely leaving)

8 - Association Trained - Not Filled

9 - Unrestricted - Butland

10 - Unrestricted - Tav

11 - Unrestricted - Goldson

12 - Unrestricted - Yilmaz

13 - Unrestricted - Sterling

14 - Unrestricted - Balogun

15 - Unrestricted - Barisic

16 - Unrestricted - Lundstrum

17 - Unrestricted - Hagi

18 - Unrestricted - Cifuentes

19 - Unrestricted - Dowell

20 - Unrestricted - Raskin

21 - Unrestricted - Dessers

22 - Unrestricted - Cantwell

23 - Unrestricted - Lammers

24 - Unrestricted - Sima

25 - Unrestricted - Danilo

26 - U21 - King

27 - U21 - Lowry

28 - U21 - Devine

Unliklely to be registered - Davies, Matondo, Roofe, Lawrence & Kamara.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

Roofe?

Never fit so would not waste a space on him. Falls into the category below.

1 minute ago, Jamie0202 said:

Hagi?

Covered in the category below.

57 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

I have not added in the players who are confirmed to be leaving, or we expect to be leaving such as Wright, Kamara and Hagi, as there is no room.

1 hour ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Discussion on the match and transfer threads ended up discussing Squad Limits and home grown quotas. Might be worth having its own thread as its always brought up when discussing possible deals and the need for Scottish trained players.

Rules for Europe is that the squad has 25 places.

4 of these must be players who spend 3 years at your club between the ages of 15-21. We have only McCrorie who fits into this category.

4 more must be players trained either at your club like above, or trained by another club in your association between 15-21. Souttar and Jack fall into this category.

u21 Players who have been with the club for 2 or more years, do not have to be registered and can still play. Lowry, King and Devine would qualify. Rice and Lovelace would not. I doubt any of the others are quite ready to be considered ready to step up.

This means you can have a squad of up to 25 players, excluding U21 players.

Below is a list of the players who I think are likely to occupy the slots, but do we think that we have to bring in more Scottish or club trained players, to free up space for new signings?

1 - Club Trained - McCrorie

2 - Club Trained - 

3 - Club Trained - 

4 - Club Trained - 

5 - Association Trained - Souttar

6 - Association Trained - Jack

7 - Association Trained -

8 - Association Trained -

9 - Unrestricted - Butland (Or Similar)

10 - Unrestricted - Tav

11 - Unrestricted - Goldson

12 - Unrestricted - Davies

13 - Unrestricted - Yilmaz

14 - Unrestricted - Barisic

15 - Unrestricted - Lundstrum

16 - Unrestricted - Raskin

17 - Unrestricted - Tillman (Hopefully)

18 - Unrestricted - Cantwell

19 - Unrestricted - Matondo

20 - Unrestricted -Sakala

21 - Unrestricted - Colak

22 - Unrestricted -Lawrence

23 - Unrestricted - Dowell

24 - Unrestricted - Cifuentes (Very Likely)

25 - Unrestricted - Sterling (Very Likely)

26 - U21 - King

27 - U21 - Lowry

28 - U21 - Devine

Including the above players in the euro squad, we have absolutely no room to add backfills for Kent or Morelos and bolster our attack with the players I think we agree are needed unless homegrown.

I have not added in the players who are confirmed to be leaving, or we expect to be leaving such as Wright, Kamara and Hagi, as there is no room.

Would you be happy with the above squad going into next season? If not, who would you remove from our list and who would you add?

I would sell Colak and buy Nisbett and a quality replacement for Morelos for a start.

I would also sell Lundstrum and replace with Alan Campbell and a quality right winger.

I really don't want to endure any more players who are Scottish enough, rather than good enough, and paying too much for the privilege.

We've not been arsed to put enough thought into building a front line that isn't shit...fix that first, swap the dross for a squad that Beale thinks can win the league, work with what's left for Europe.

A medical/fitness strategy worth the description might help a bit, for European squad numbers too.

Beale has already spoke about trimming the squad so likelihood is we’ll see more ‘utility’ players.

I think Barisic will go and Sterling will be cover for Yilmaz and Tav.

Davies will be replaced.

Colak will be replaced.

Be surprised if Tillman is back too.

The OP shows why signing Jack is a no brainer for Beale due to the need for Scottish players / club trained players for European purposes. Arfield might have been kept on too had he not been eager for more gametime next season which he'll only get elsewhere.

As others have said we should probably expect a Scottish player or two signed for this very reason. Likely a Nisbet or Shankland who, though not the best we could get, are probably the best Scottisk we can get to help not hinder puting a squad together for Europe.

Another area Beale has been left with an uphill battle due to incompetence of others.

26 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

The whole scottish quota is nonsense. We aren’t using 25 players in the competition so it’s absolutely fine to have players like King and Lowry in the squad with it being highly unlikely they’ll be used. 

We used 23 this season in the Champions League - not including players named on the bench who never appeared but still need to be registered

IIRC. King played more minutes in the CL than any other player his age in Europe.

44 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

The whole scottish quota is nonsense. We aren’t using 25 players in the competition so it’s absolutely fine to have players like King and Lowry in the squad with it being highly unlikely they’ll be used. 

53 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

So we're signing Kelly, Fleck and McKay then? :lol:

Getting far too hung up on the Euro register rules.

Can easily run with a squad of 18/19 with u21s filling in the gaps.

So would you both be happy with the squad in the OP for Europe next season?

Personally I think going into Europe with one recognised centre forward and only two wingers seems a bit silly.

If not, who would you remove from the squad to replace?

4 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Personally I think going into Europe with one recognised centre forward and only two wingers seems a bit silly.

No because theres more than a few there that won't be part of the squad either after being sold or injured. 

There is going to be alot coming in that's not in your squad.

We do not need to buy Scottish trained players or  club trained players just for the sake of registration in europe.

We will be fine and Beale would have planned for this when presenting his targets to the board. 

Trust the process.

3 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Also, there becomes the problem with keeping players happy if they are going to be bombed out the Euro squad. Can’t use potential of CL football to entice players here then not register them.

Just now, The Dude said:

Also, there becomes the problem with keeping players happy if they are going to be bombed out the Euro squad. Can’t use potential of CL football to entice players here then not register them.

There will be plenty of space with players going out the door.