Missed opportunity

Malkytfp1

17 minutes ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

Stupid Argument.

Barry Ferguson didn’t get a game under Walter and probably never would have had Walter stayed, it wasn’t till he was actually given a chance by Dick that people realised how good he was.

Same goes for Gattuso at Rangers.

Same goes for Andy Robertson as a tarrier youth.

Same goes for James Tavernier at Wigan & Newcastle.

Same goes for Diallo at Rangers!

I could go on…

You don't see him every day training, you don't know the behind the scenes reasons so I'm not sure how you can demand he plays when 2 managers didn't play him.

If you are good enough you play, he hasn't been. If he goes on to have a top career playing at a better club than ours I'll be amazed.

We will see.

11 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Best player on the park against Livingston, came on in the cup against Dundee and got an assist. Came on against St Johnstone this season and showed just about the only bit of quality in the game.

Forgot about the Livi game

22 minutes ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

Stupid Argument.

Barry Ferguson didn’t get a game under Walter and probably never would have had Walter stayed, it wasn’t till he was actually given a chance by Dick that people realised how good he was.

Same goes for Gattuso at Rangers.

Same goes for Andy Robertson as a tarrier youth.

Same goes for James Tavernier at Wigan & Newcastle.

Same goes for Diallo at Rangers!

I could go on…

Could be that sometimes players need setbacks and failures before they make the changes required to make it 

3 hours ago, Negri's lovechild said:

Tavernier still gives us more goals and assists than the players in forward positions.

Hopefully a step up in acquisitions in these areas will help, but if we sell Tav at this point, we suffer. 

His passing, crossing and at times defending has been poor this season…. He has also been noticeably slower this season. Get the recruitment right in the final third and i don’t think we’d miss Tav 

3 hours ago, The Godfather said:

Lowry has never overly impressed me. Folk have a fascination with him but in reality if he was good enough he'd play more often than not.

That speaks volumes.

We won comfortably too

Yeh I think with Lowry it’s not ability though (slightly different to King and Devine).

Its off the park stuff, fitness, conditioning and also had the injury set back. He obviously isn’t good enough at the moment because of that. But I’d be shocked/sad if he doesn’t make it with us eventually. Because he has the talent. 

7 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

I think his defending largely gets a pass from me because in most games he isn't being asked to do the defensive part of the job as much because he's being asked to bomb forward, and because so much of our play goes through him he will be puting a larger number of crosses into the box than he probably should to be honest.

His pace has dropped, but he is 31 / 32 now and that is understandable. What we should 100% do though is have a succession plan in place and someone brought in this season with the intention of replacing Tav. 

Yeah definitely need a succession, quite happy if we keep let Devine go for a season. Good guy to have around for both sides in the event of an injury crisis.

We’ve been carrying absolute passengers like Morelos, Kent, Kamara, Davies etc for fucking ages now. Don’t try and tell me some of these young lads wouldn’t have done better 

Same folk saying ‘they obviously aren’t good enough’ were saying the same about Ridvan and McCrorie not too long ago 

Lowry and King particularly should probably have started that game today with Rice at least coming off the bench for a fair chunk of the game. Based on what I’ve seen I don’t think King is ever going to be good enough to be a starter for us but he’s been solid recently and there’s no way he should’ve been dropped for John Lundstram to play a dead rubber against St Mirren as a centre back 

6 hours ago, GA1972 said:

We’ve been carrying absolute passengers like Morelos, Kent, Kamara, Davies etc for fucking ages now. Don’t try and tell me some of these young lads wouldn’t have done better 

Same folk saying ‘they obviously aren’t good enough’ were saying the same about Ridvan and McCrorie not too long ago 

Lowry and King particularly should probably have started that game today with Rice at least coming off the bench for a fair chunk of the game. Based on what I’ve seen I don’t think King is ever going to be good enough to be a starter for us but he’s been solid recently and there’s no way he should’ve been dropped for John Lundstram to play a dead rubber against St Mirren as a centre back 

King has looked ropey for me but then again he hasn't played with goldson from memory. Hes always lumped in with a makeshift partnership i.e played with sands for several games in champ league.

17 hours ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Just my opinion but really feel the last few games should have gave us the opportunity to see the likes of Lowry, Rice Devine etc to see if they could step up and become squad players for next season.

Lowry and devine are 20 (in three weeks). When you consider were paying money for players around that age we should be giving youth a chance as part of our model. This time last year Lowry played an end of season dead rubber game away to hearts and was outstanding. Missed opportunity especially today.

I said the exact same thing around the time that the split fixtures came out.

If he won't play youth in these games, then he never will. What is the fucking point in us having an academy at all, seriously? As a worthwhile business model, it would have been shut down years ago.

17 hours ago, psb07158 said:

I think it’s pretty clear that King is not going to be good enough to be a first choice CB for us. Have never been impressed by Devine and apparently neither is Beale given we’re trying to sign a RB. 

Lowry is the one disappointment. Has the talent but we don’t see him in training and if he’s not putting the effort in then he can’t get in the pitch. 

Was hoping to see a bit more of Bailey Rice today. 

If you mean right now then I agree.

But he's far too young for that position to think about moving him on permanently. Can't think of many 19 or 20 year old centre halves starting for clubs at a decent level.

12 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

I’m not obsessed with giving youth players a chance to the level that some people are, but it does seem utterly bizarre that we didn’t start some yesterday in what was possibly the most dead rubber game that we might ever play :lol:

Wasn't surprised, I found the goodbye tour on Wednesday infuriating tho 

8 hours ago, GA1972 said:

These young lads who would do better have conceded a stupid amount of goals in the lowland league, have been scudded in some games and guys like @STEPPS BOY @McEwan's Lager etc have said barley any of them are ready for the top level with forum darling Lovelace being one who is still well off it.

i don’t like it being used to slag people as I used to play it but there is a champ manager generation who used to throw in guys like Stephen hughes, mark Kerr etc and turn them into superstars quite easily in the game and think it’s just as easy to do that in real life.

I’ve said it before that if you have the one manager ie gerrard for x amount of years and he doesn’t use them then you can say that he doesn’t like the youths etc but when 3 managers are reluctant it’s probably telling you that they just aren’t ready. King is probably the most highly rated we’ve had in a while, since he was about 14 he’s had the top end of the EPL sniffing about him, bar hibs last week he’s been worse than poor tbh 

22 minutes ago, DiamondDan said:

We don't see them at training. We don't know them personally or their attitudes. Beale does. If they're not been given the opportunity whilst others are then the questions raised should be about them.

I would take your point a bit further, it could be they have been at the right level in training previously but were pish this week.

He might think it’s more important to play Hagi than Lowry right now to get his confidence up/shop window etc.

I would have liked to see a better use of Devine, King and Lowry but I trust the manager in his use of them and agree with his position that they need to earn the right to wear the shirt everyday in training.

He was also very vocal of not going into the close season on a bad result, so I wasn’t surprised to see the starting line up.

1 hour ago, RFC55 said:

These young lads who would do better have conceded a stupid amount of goals in the lowland league, have been scudded in some games and guys like @STEPPS BOY @McEwan's Lager etc have said barley any of them are ready for the top level with forum darling Lovelace being one who is still well off it.

i don’t like it being used to slag people as I used to play it but there is a champ manager generation who used to throw in guys like Stephen hughes, mark Kerr etc and turn them into superstars quite easily in the game and think it’s just as easy to do that in real life.

I’ve said it before that if you have the one manager ie gerrard for x amount of years and he doesn’t use them then you can say that he doesn’t like the youths etc but when 3 managers are reluctant it’s probably telling you that they just aren’t ready. King is probably the most highly rated we’ve had in a while, since he was about 14 he’s had the top end of the EPL sniffing about him, bar hibs last week he’s been worse than poor tbh 

I get that the rest of them might not be ready or good enough but for me Lowry should at least be given a chance. Gio clearly saw something in him then he had his injury issues, I remember there was even a debate on here as to whether he could be used in the EL final as a bit of a surprise to Frankfurt.

The same things being said about some by Lowry ‘he must not be doing it in training’ , manager doesn’t think he’s good enough’, ‘don’t get the hype with him he gets better the longer he doesn’t play’ were being said about Patterson when he went missing after his debut. As another poster said earlier after his debut we even had Polster and Flanagan playing right back such was Gerrard’s aversion to giving him a chance.

I think obviously there’s an enormous amount of pressure on every game here which probably plays it’s part in decisions not to play young players. I personally would like the Rangers manager to be able to shoulder that pressure and still make the risky decisions that could make us better. Beale’s lineup for the last old firm for example would’ve been laughed at 3/4 weeks prior but showed it just might’ve actually got us into the cup final and back in the title race by dropping guys that had phoned it in for someone like Matondo who’s shite but at least tried. With the 5 sub rule now there’s no reason guys shouldn’t be getting a chance off the bench if games are killed early at the very least 

There’s a balance to be struck, you can’t just throw 5/6 youth players into every squad obviously but the most promising of them at least need to be given something or we’ll be attracting no one into the academy. Lowry when he’s played has shown real promise, seems to have a level of technical ability that not many of our regulars have and can’t get a game so those below him must be wondering how they’ll have any chance in hell of getting near the team.

1 hour ago, DiamondDan said:

We don't see them at training. We don't know them personally or their attitudes. Beale does. If they're not been given the opportunity whilst others are then the questions raised should be about them.

Be easier to accept if it wasn’t people like Kamara and Lundstram getting the minutes ahead of them. Both have been nothing short of pathetic, apart from the last couple of weeks in Lundstram’s case.

21 hours ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Lowry came in last season and looked good when we still had things to play for too.

Sands telling the club he wanted to leave and still getting game time ahead of King.

Zero game time for any youth against two Championship teams in the cup.

It’s nothing new, we’ve been awful with youth for years

Bringing Arfield on in front of Lowry was bizarre....Arfield got his send off on Wednesday, their was zero reason to play him yesterday with the game finished at 3-0

Plenty folk describing post split games as meaningless, dead rubbers etc and to play youths. 

Yes kids would have got more mins/ appearances on their cvs but would it really have been any more than that?

If we won a dead rubber does that show they're capable of being relied on next season? If we lost meaningless games does it show they're never making it and not level needed?

Beale clearly wanted to win each game. If the youths were good enough I'd have thought they'd be a bigger part of him trying to achieve exactly that.