Rangers to take SPFL to court over Cinch dispute.

Loyal72

Just now, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Is this a direct impact following the apparent clear the air / let's be friends meeting Bennett and Bisgrove had with the SFA recently?

I had thought those clear the air talks were to try and move forward with the league body & Cinch, for a solution that suits all.

Looks like it went the other way, the FA effectively gave us the blessing to have at it. 

Quite rare that a football club sues any sort of governing body in their country isn't it?

9 minutes ago, Loyal72 said:

I had thought those clear the air talks were to try and move forward with the league body & Cinch, for a solution that suits all.

Looks like it went the other way, the FA effectively gave us the blessing to have at it. 

Quite rare that a football club sues any sort of governing body in their country isn't it?

No many boards are set up with the intent to benefit one club to the detriment of all others.

3 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Doncaster should have been ousted years ago. No way in hell he apologizes to Rangers.

Astounds me that the guy is still in a job collecting his lofty salary. Years and years of misery, shite and mediocrity.

Yet clubs still won't get rid of the cunt.

The SFA on this alone should've stepped in and reprimanded the league body.

2 minutes ago, Loyal72 said:

Astounds me that the guy is still in a job collecting his lofty salary. Years and years of misery, shite and mediocrity.

Yet clubs still won't get rid of the cunt.

The SFA on this alone should've stepped in and reprimanded the league body.

There is no need for the SPFL. There should be one governing body only. Invented by Lawwell in 2013 to keep Rangers at bay when we weren't around. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

Not much of an apology if you ask me.

Still a boot in the stones for the SPFL. Which can only be viewed as good news.

4 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

Not much of an apology if you ask me.

Still a boot in the stones for the SPFL. Which can only be viewed as good news.

Hardly an apology since the wording has IF rather than for any damage.

The statement read: The Scottish Professional Football League, Rangers, and Park’s of Hamilton have confirmed that the long-running dispute between them in relation to the SPFL’s title sponsorship contract with cinch has been brought to an end.

The SPFL has accepted that Rangers had a pre-existing contract with Park’s at the point that the SPFL entered into its title sponsorship contract with cinch in June 2021. All three parties have now agreed to withdraw the resulting Scottish FA arbitration, with the SPFL making a contribution to the costs of Rangers and Park’s. These sums will be donated to charity.

The SPFL regrets any damage to the reputation of Rangers and Park’s as a result of the dispute.

SPFL Chairman, Murdoch MacLennan, said: “We are delighted to have finally drawn a line under this dispute following discussions between ourselves and Rangers, and we are keen to do all we can to learn from this protracted disagreement.

“I am particularly grateful for the constructive approach shown by all parties in helping resolve this long-running situation and am very happy to apologise if there has been any damage to the reputation of Rangers FC or Park’s of Hamilton.

“Going forward, we have also agreed to commission an independent review of governance to help ensure the SPFL can avoid any such dispute in the future. This review will commence in October 2023.

“I am pleased we have put this matter to bed at last and am now looking forward to working constructively with Rangers and our 41 other clubs at what is a hugely exciting time for Scottish football as a whole.”

A spokesperson for Rangers commented: “Rangers acknowledges the apology from the SPFL and is pleased that this long running dispute has been brought to a conclusion. In welcoming the independent review of SPFL governance, the Club wishes to give thanks for the efforts and patience of those who have driven this to a satisfactory outcome.”

Questions will now however be asked of SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster and the way that the agreement with cinch was pushed through in the first place, with Rangers informing Doncaster ahead of the conclusion of the deal that they would not be able to comply with the terms of the contract.

Having forced the deal through, the admission from Doncaster that he was wrong to do so will be a humiliating one for the 54-year-old, who had cast doubt about Rangers’ claims of a pre-existing agreement with Park’s before ultimately being forced to climb down.

READ MORE: Neil Doncaster's astonishing SPFL exit cost amid 2 year notice period

Doncaster himself stopped short of apologising to Rangers, expressing only his regret at any damage to their reputation, while it was SPFL chairman Murdoch McLennan who offered a full apology.

The victory will however be seen as a vindication of outgoing managing director Stewart Robertson’s position, who long maintained that Rangers were bound by the terms of their agreement with Park’s, and who has publicly expressed his concern around the corporate governance of the SPFL.