Goldson

MacBoyd

1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Goldson is our best CH but we do need better. 

When PC signs 4 new CHs he'll be gone. Don't hold your breath though as there's probably 5 or 6 other positions needing prioritised.

Spot on. I would love to see us upgrade on him of course but a)he's no as bad as made out by some and b) it's not as much as a priority as say the wings and striker for instance.

His efforts on Thursday were admirable as it was with all the players tbh

He never hid or gave up despite nothing going right for him

When he scored the OG we were really under the cosh, pressure and the big fella don't always go together,we've seen that loads

5 hours ago, kelvd1873 said:

It is what I meant though. I agree that Butland should have been more vocal (if he wasn’t already) as he can see everything infront of him. 

Can he? I don't think you need to make shite up to vindicate your dislike for him. He's no blameless by any stretch of the imagination but on the night he had some big moments which some won't focus on. He still scored an own goal and that inherits criticism but cunts posting straight after a good European result saying he cost us the Europa league final etc is manky.

When the ball gets to him both Souttar and Lundstram are in the air in front of him and miss it. He sees it late. 

Screenshot_20240309-113309.png

1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Goldson is our best CH but we do need better. 

When PC signs 4 new CHs he'll be gone. Don't hold your breath though as there's probably 5 or 6 other positions needing prioritised.

As a player in high profile matches he crumbles especially in Europe:

• own goal last Thursday he was under no pressure the ball was safe and the muppet heads the ball into an open goal
  • Europa League final he was missing from his position and they equalise and this led to extra time and penalties the rest is history

This guy has got to go 

23 hours ago, bluenoz said:

He could do with a rest alongside Tav & Lundstram. Three games to go before the international break. 

It's a big gamble to rest the mainstays at this time of the season.

WTF another international break…more injuries coming to the squad

4 minutes ago, Robborobson said:

• own goal last Thursday he was under no pressure the ball was safe and the muppet heads the ball into an open goal
  • Europa League final he was missing from his position and they equalise and this led to extra time and penalties the rest is history

This guy has got to go 

He wasn't missing from any position in seville, he simply failed to cut out a dangerous cross. And rightly got slated for not acting so I'll not slate him for trying to deal with what he felt was a dangerous cross on Thursday.  He's again rightly getting it tight for how he dealt with it.

I've not said he's not got mistakes in him but he's made 300 appearances and is our best defender by far

Balogun will leave once his contract expires, Davies and King will need to find minutes elsewhere, and Souttar has had as many mistakes as Goldson in far less games.

So yes we need better but he's not at the top of the priority list.

40 minutes ago, Robborobson said:

This guy has got to go 

Good teams (like the ones you play in Europe) are going to score goals against you. And at times force mistakes.

We’ve done well in Europe and Goldson’s been a part of that.

Stupid to look at a mistake or two but not give credit for all the other good performances we’ve had in Europe.

Last time he went off in a European game, we were drawing 1-1 against Liverpool and they scored 6 once he went off. 

Even the Europa league final we kept a top quality attacking side to 1 goal in over 120 minutes of football.

Yes he didn’t cover himself in glory for the goal but “muppet” and “crumbles” are well wide of the mark.

6 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

Good teams (like the ones you play in Europe) are going to score goals against you. And at times force mistakes.

We’ve done well in Europe and Goldson’s been a part of that.

Stupid to look at a mistake or two but not give credit for all the other good performances we’ve had in Europe.

Last time he went off in a European game, we were drawing 1-1 against Liverpool and they scored 6 once he went off. 

Even the Europa league final we kept a top quality attacking side to 1 goal in over 120 minutes of football.

Yes he didn’t cover himself in glory for the goal but “muppet” and “crumbles” are well wide of the mark.

Not a dig at goldson, but i wouldnt use the CL as a benchmark for him given he played every minute when we lost 9 goals in 3 games prior to that night

Liverpool would have battered us with or without goldson

We need an upgrade on the CH positions, however while dessers is our main striker (danilo aside) and our wingers are very poor, every penny needs spent on that in the summer first

1 hour ago, WilliamMunny said:

No issue with Goldson being 1 of our 4 CBs next year but I would like to see 2 new starters there.

Saying that for as long as I can remember, CG has been the best centre back at the club for years now,  we should have been actively trying to make him the Second best centre back at the club, and that should have happend years ago. 

We went all the way to a European final when he was partnered with a quick inexperienced Bassey and did well partnered with a slow positionally excellent and experienced Helander. 

Would be good to see what he can do if he's next to someone with a good mix of both. 

1 hour ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Can he? I don't think you need to make shite up to vindicate your dislike for him. He's no blameless by any stretch of the imagination but on the night he had some big moments which some won't focus on. He still scored an own goal and that inherits criticism but cunts posting straight after a good European result saying he cost us the Europa league final etc is manky.

When the ball gets to him both Souttar and Lundstram are in the air in front of him and miss it. He sees it late. 

Screenshot_20240309-113309.png

Are Chris jack and Derek Clark also making up shite when they said in yesterdays Rangers review podcast “The Goldson header is another mistake from him, he has come in for a bit of criticism recently especially after the weekend defeat to motherwell“, “Goldson should have directed the header better”, “Not Goldson's finest hour”? I get it you can’t stand any justified criticism of the guy, that’s on you. 

1 hour ago, kelvd1873 said:

Are Chris jack and Derek Clark also making up shite when they said in yesterdays Rangers review podcast “The Goldson header is another mistake from him, he has come in for a bit of criticism recently especially after the weekend defeat to motherwell“, “Goldson should have directed the header better”, “Not Goldson's finest hour”? I get it you can’t stand any justified criticism of the guy, that’s on you. 

What makes these two experts? 

3 hours ago, Robborobson said:

This guy has got to go 

Were the other games on the road to the final a cake walk, played under minimal pressure? 

Individual errors are fine to criticise, like the final or Thursday's own goal, but Goldson's done better in Europe than some of our most esteemed centre backs. (Not saying he's better than them in anyway.)

He's been at the heart of our most sustained run of positive results in Europe for decades. 

3 hours ago, TamCoopz said:

What makes these two experts? 

Oh I don’t know tam maybe being 2 journalists that are part of a Rangers podcast that has 49k followers on FB, 33.9k followers on Twitter and 19.4k subscribers on YouTube gives them grounds to have a decent opinion😂😂.

Chris jack - Experienced and respected Sports Writer with a demonstrated history of working in the newspaper industry. Skilled in News Writing, Journalism, Media Relations, Copywriting and Social Media. Strong media and communications professional.

Derek Clark - Experienced sports broadcaster, writer and Podcast host.

7 minutes ago, TamCoopz said:

Doesn’t really make them experts 

Tbf I never mentioned experts but aye my point still stands that they have a decent opinion. They talk about Rangers for a living Tam. 

23 minutes ago, kelvd1873 said:

Oh I don’t know tam maybe being 2 journalists that are part of a Rangers podcast that has 49k followers on FB, 33.9k followers on Twitter and 19.4k subscribers on YouTube gives them grounds to have a decent opinion😂😂.

Chris jack - Experienced and respected Sports Writer with a demonstrated history of working in the newspaper industry. Skilled in News Writing, Journalism, Media Relations, Copywriting and Social Media. Strong media and communications professional.

Derek Clark - Experienced sports broadcaster, writer and Podcast host.

But were any of them ever a CH?

1 minute ago, Garnock Blue said:

But were any of them ever a CH?

Did they have to be? Can only ex CH’s have opinions on centre halves? Is that the same for every position on the pitch too? 

9 minutes ago, Garnock Blue said:

Yes and yes

Aye okay then 🤣🤣

edit - so hang on I need to know what level each person has to have played previously to be able to form a reliable opinion or conversation on a player? Juniors, lower leagues, continental, internationalists?? Does a ex player that has played several positions get to comment on them all or just their specialized position? So many questions that can be asked here….