Goldson

MacBoyd

1 minute ago, folkestoneger said:

Goldsons was a poor header he could have avoided but Souttars was a freak bounce onto his arm and he could do little about it. Hardly grounds to criticise him

I'm no Souttars biggest fan but you're right, fuck all he could do about it and he was also decent tonight.

Just now, Malkytfp1 said:

I'm no Souttars biggest fan but you're right, fuck all he could do about it and he was also decent tonight.

Thought Souttar was immense with some of the challenges he made towards the end when we were toiling

Only bad moment I remember from him other than the penalty was him selling himself out on the wing too easy at one point but after that he was faultless 

1 hour ago, bluenoz said:

Many will come on here slating him (and Souttar). Not me. I thought overall they defended well (14 Benfica corners). Just two unfortunate incidents. 

Will have to make sure they don't happen next week.

Aye, thought the two of them were crap at the weekend but they were unlucky tonight. They both did really well under pressure for the most part tonight. 

Just now, GA1972 said:

Thought Souttar was immense with some of the challenges he made towards the end when we were toiling

Only bad moment I remember from him other than the penalty was him selling himself out on the wing too easy at one point but after that he was faultless 

I think if he gets that out his game he's twice the player. It's a constant with him.

7 hours ago, Rigamonti said:

Yes, and midfielders job is to win tackles and make successful passes. Did they do that 100% of the time ? Do our forwards score 100% of the chances they get?

Totally agree but Goldson shits the bed in big games time and time again. Souttar unlucky, angle shown to ref poor. Came off his head.

5 minutes ago, weeguy said:

Totally agree but Goldson shits the bed in big games time and time again. Souttar unlucky, angle shown to ref poor. Came off his head.

Both have an absolute clanger in them regularly. I’d like better, but might just be the level we play at. 

2 minutes ago, weeguy said:

No he doesn't. How can we consistently do so well in Europe, and have the best defensive record in Scotland, if we've got a centre half who 'shits the bed' every time we play an important game ? He'll make mistakes like all our players, but some folk can't wait to slaughter him for his, while totally disregarding the countless good things he does every game. 

13 minutes ago, Rigamonti said:

No he doesn't. How can we consistently do so well in Europe, and have the best defensive record in Scotland, if we've got a centre half who 'shits the bed' every time we play an important game ? He'll make mistakes like all our players, but some folk can't wait to slaughter him for his, while totally disregarding the countless good things he does every game. 

No one said every important game.... he is one of the best defenders we have had that can have a massive howler in him. When I think of our best centre halves from history, I don't remember them having those clangers in them. They were dependable. Goldson plays to a really high level and has certainly been our best CH of the last 4 /5 years but he frequently just has a massive fuck up in him. It is so frustrating. 

If he had just cleared that ball in Seville we would very likely have another European trophy in the trophy room....

.... also I still have a bitter taste from his comments when we went 3 goals down to Hibs in the cup 

On balance I am glad we have him but there is no getting away from his propensity to fuck shit up.

Good amount of confirmation bias going on here.

If we don’t win the league it will be the goals for column and not the goals against that will be the difference between us and them. (As it usually is)

Goldson will still be the main CB next year. (He might look to upgrade Souttar/Balogun).

I actually thought he was having a good game last night then he throws in a classic Goldson moment 

No idea what he was doing, there’s no one anywhere near him, totally fine with him taking the safe option and clearing if he’s unsure but why is he aiming the header like that