Welcome To Rangers, Connor Barron.

1 hour ago, RossS1873 said:

Ballack was at Leverkusen when we played them in 99/00. But what a team they had. Effenberg, Matthaus, Elber, Lizarazu, Kahn the wank

The drop of the shoulder for our second goal in germany if im remembering things correctly, took them all out the game

1 hour ago, Jimfanciesthedude said:

The drop of the shoulder for our second goal in germany if im remembering things correctly, took them all out the game

A lovely pivot from him, took 5 players out in one move, 2 passes later, it's a goal.

Barry Ferguson in his prime should have played for an elite level club in England. I genuinely believe at that time he was that good.

I know they were big spenders at the time and I know the opportunity to play under Souness must have been huge, but how he ended up at Blackburn, I’ll never know. 

Even when he went to Birmingham at 31, as a far less mobile and athletic player than he was the first time and playing a different role of the one he did in the early 2000’s he was still excellent for them and barely ever misplaced a pass. The quality was always there and was never in doubt, even at that age.

You can understand why Ferguson chose Blackburn - Souness was there, they had just finished sixth in the Premier League and qualified for the UEFA Cup, plus his ambition was being questioned and we were in need of funds - but it didn’t work out. Blackburn had a stinking season and I’m sure it was his first Christmas there that he shattered his knee.

Scottish football peaked in the early 2000s and Ferguson was at the heart of it. Winning the Player of the Year award at just 22 years-old ahead of team mates like Amoruso, Numan, Gio, Albertz, McCann, Tugay and Reyna, plus to be fair to them, Tarriers like Larsson, Lambert, Petrov and Viduka was an incredible achievement.

To put it into perspective, it’s like Alex Lowery winning it this season, having already won the country’s Young Player of the Year, excelled for us in Europe and been named our captain.

On 12/08/2024 at 10:37, graeme_4 said:

I don’t think he was necessarily good enough at that point tbh.

He’s flourished with lots of game time a midtable club with less pressure, in a better quality league (although still struggled to even get off the Scotland team bench).

We can’t always afford to give players game time just to develop, and if you’re at Rangers you’re always under pressure.

Might have shone, or might have become another Greg Doherty. 

I thought he showed he was capable of playing for us.

However rightly or wrongly, and unfair on Lewis, I wonder if some may factor his Dad and Uncle in when signing him for Rangers. Both were extremely talented players so he's having to live up to that. His name invites a pressure straight away.

There's maybe going to be questions surrounding him too since both had public falling outs with managers. And then they also aren't exactly known for keeping quiet and have extensive media contacts and a platform, Derek commented a few times on Barry and situations, as any brother would. If he is having a difficult time, will you get sniping from the sidelines? You see with Hagi how protective his Dad is with a considerably big media pull in a non-domestic market.

When it was rumoured Barry was going to be on the coaching staff of both Pedro and Gio there was a lot of discussion around these sorts of potential issues.

On 11/08/2024 at 16:25, graeme_4 said:

I think chat like this is mental tbh.

1 win in 3 and have barely had hold of a game for more than 45 mins. He’s done well, but he’s not able to control a game as yet.

We’re absolutely overrun at times. 

Difference when he came on for Dowell was like night and day. His movement immediately after passing the ball, offering angles, chasing hard out of possession, winning lost causes etc. 

If he carries on with this trajectory then I can see him as captain/vice captain material in a season or two. Age doesn't necessarily equate to leadership, he is very experienced in the Domestic game at a young age.

3 minutes ago, Amokachi said:

I like this wee cunt. 

Aye, me too. He looks to pick out a pass to a player in an advanced position rather than a shitey sideways/backwards pass even if that pass is a bit more risky.

5 minutes ago, Clunge said:

Difference when he came on for Dowell was like night and day. His movement immediately after passing the ball, offering angles, chasing hard out of possession, winning lost causes etc. 

If he carries on with this trajectory then I can see him as captain/vice captain material in a season or two. Age doesn't necessarily equate to leadership, he is very experienced in the Domestic game at a young age.

Looks super confident, off the ball he’s always shouting what he wants people to do, and when he passes he keeps moving unlike so many of our team who just pass and sort of hang back job done 

49 minutes ago, Clunge said:

Was about to post this . 

Dowell was pretty anonymous that 1st half while Barron was at the heart of everything we did once he came on . 

As youve said , night and day .