Ryan Kent - Would you have him back?

Ace

26 minutes ago, Real Ranger said:

I honestly thought as long as a player isn’t with a club he can sign and play straight away. A bit of a disappointment considering how weak we are in the wide positions right now. 

It’s to do with their registration. If they become a free agent before a window shuts they can sign whenever, but if they were at a club when the window shut then they can’t register with a new club until the window opens. I’m assuming it’s an admin thing to do with FA’s holding their registration.

1 hour ago, Real Ranger said:

I honestly thought as long as a player isn’t with a club he can sign and play straight away. A bit of a disappointment considering how weak we are in the wide positions right now. 

Would somewhat defeat the purpose of a transfer window. You’d have all sorts of dodgy deals being done with players being released and snapped up by other teams. City, PSG and Real would be abusing the fuck out of that.

I’d have him back. A player with excellent quality who has just been humbled and realised he’s not bigger than the club. Could be a master stroke. Risk free as no transfer fee. My only condition is that wages are low. If he wants a better contract he can earn it. 

Not for me, he was excellent in Europe at times and you always felt he could do something against the tims when he had a bit of space to exploit, but against the rest he just never done enough on a week to week basis, he went a year and a half without an assist in the League and in his last two seasons he only scored 6 goals in total from 90 games (87 starts).

That's the reality of Ryan Kent, there's a reason he left on a free and it's the same reason that only a Turkish club showed any genuine interest in him.

Would I be surprised if he comes back? Nope, but we've seen this movie before and we all know how it ends.

1 hour ago, Moody Blue said:

Top of his game Kent is better than what we have. However, the way he downed tools with us and left for nothing, he can rot in anonymity for the rest of his career. 

:lol:

Not his fault we knocked back offers and didn’t offer a new deal. 

7 hours ago, adam2102 said:

I’d have him back. A player with excellent quality who has just been humbled and realised he’s not bigger than the club. Could be a master stroke. Risk free as no transfer fee. My only condition is that wages are low. If he wants a better contract he can earn it. 

Nothing to suggest he’s been humbled. For all we know he’s sitting there thinking he’s the victim in all this.

He’s not going to be taking whatever he can get or pulling out the begging cup. Clubs in the English championship will still be more than willing to take a punt on him - it’ll just be put down as yet another British player struggling to settle in Turkey due to the cultural and social differences.

34 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

What offers did we knock back? Genuine question btw.

I don’t remember any actual offers coming in for him at any stage 

Leeds I’m sure.

Leeds were genuinely interested in Kent during the summer of 2020 and saw a bid worth around £10million rejected by Rangers. Whether that interest remained in future windows is unknown but continued links with the England youth international have become a running joke in West Yorkshire.

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/leeds-united-ryan-kent-fenerbahce-contract-4830559#

He would make sense right now when we have no-one except Bajrami who we want to play as a 10. He does not make sense going forward into January for a host of reasons - wrong age, well past his best,  high earner and we should have matondo and cortes back plus opportunities to sign better in the January window. As he is ineligible right now, the speculation is pointless.

1 hour ago, graeme_4 said:

Leeds I’m sure.

Leeds were genuinely interested in Kent during the summer of 2020 and saw a bid worth around £10million rejected by Rangers. Whether that interest remained in future windows is unknown but continued links with the England youth international have become a running joke in West Yorkshire.

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/leeds-united-ryan-kent-fenerbahce-contract-4830559#

In hindsight I don’t think I’d have sold him that summer though knowing we won the league the following season. Not for 10 million anyway 

4 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

What offers did we knock back? Genuine question btw.

I don’t remember any actual offers coming in for him at any stage 

Who knows what goes on behind the scenes and what the club thought they could get and fucked it.

But hard to think we couldn’t have recouped at least close to our fee after Seville if we’d wanted to shop him around. 

15 hours ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

It’s to do with their registration. If they become a free agent before a window shuts they can sign whenever, but if they were at a club when the window shut then they can’t register with a new club until the window opens. I’m assuming it’s an admin thing to do with FA’s holding their registration.

It is about employment laws as well. Everyone has the right to work so they can be signed at any time but they can only be registered to take part in competitions at certain times. It's how they get round having a transfer market without breaking the law. 

Only if he was on lowish wages and Clement thought he could get the best out of him

If he improves where we are right now I'd take him on his day he's a cracking player 

Did find it strange that Clement didn't just shut it down

On 17/10/2024 at 21:51, ForeverAndEver said:

Rather shite on my hands and clap than have him back.

Me too. Why anyone thinks this guy is the guy to bring back into an under performing Rangers team with low mobility centre forward with poor hold up play is beyond me.  Expecting this joker to perform for us is totally unrealistic. Also, the black trackie shite when saying good bye was a big two fingers to us and sends out the wrong message to bring him back.