Last day title wins....

LegendofCoop

Winning the SPL on Helicopter Sunday was a fantastic day, something that I loved at the time and have enjoyed looking back on ever since.

I have to say though that you can look back on it as being a bad thing in one sense. With our chairman lacking fresh ideas over the last several years, winning the league that day papered over the major cracks in our team as it made it look like we had real quality. Instead we had some real deficiencies including some very weak signings that McLeish made who continue to cost us money to this day.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Winning the SPL on Helicopter Sunday was a fantastic day, something that I loved at the time and have enjoyed looking back on ever since.

I have to say though that you can look back on it as being a bad thing in one sense. With our chairman lacking fresh ideas over the last several years, winning the league that day papered over the major cracks in our team as it made it look like we had real quality. Instead we had some real deficiencies including some very weak signings that McLeish made who continue to cost us money to this day.

The only one of his signings still here is Barry Ferguson I think.

Helicopter Sunday was great, much better than two years early as I expected us to get it that year. Really difficult question to answer but I think having had those two last game wins it would be nice to have a more comfortable win for a change. It's a long time since Advocaat.

The bad thing about Helicopter Sunday was we had to rely on them losing points.

I'd rather we won the league convincingly than having to rely on them slipping up.

lolololololololo

moron.

Helicopter Sunday was great, much better than two years early as I expected us to get it that year. Really difficult question to answer but I think having had those two last game wins it would be nice to have a more comfortable win for a change. It's a long time since Advocaat.

Nacho.

The bad thing about Helicopter Sunday was we had to rely on them losing points.

I'd rather we won the league convincingly than having to rely on them slipping up.

lolololololololo

moron.

2 points behind going into the game. 2 minutes away from the despair of losing it on the last day...then VICTORY & cue scenes like these:

I ask you, are some cunts NEVER happy! :lol:

I agree that winning the title on the last day is far more enjoyable than winning it by 20 points. In my 30 years of following Rangers, the most enjoyable titles have been 91, 03 and 05, simply as they were so exciting and on top of that there is the bonus of your rivals being gutted. Frankly most the 9 in a row years were pretty boring titles.

Nacho.

TBH, I meant renewed deals and of course the figure looks slightly better in light of the last two transfer windows. Players that spring to mind are the guys we had to pay off to leave.

I agree that winning the title on the last day is far more enjoyable than winning it by 20 points. In my 30 years of following Rangers, the most enjoyable titles have been 91, 03 and 05, simply as they were so exciting and on top of that there is the bonus of your rivals being gutted. Frankly most the 9 in a row years were pretty boring titles.

They are fantastic, but isn't the question something about whether they are good for the team?

Don't know how anyone could say Helicopter Sunday wasn't one of their all-time highlights watching Rangers.

*sniff Sniff* :pipe:

87 At pittodrie no some into the equasion then...

Sniff Sniff indeed.

Sniff Sniff indeed.

they were all good, 1987 was very good but it didn't go to the last day and so is behind the other 3 for me. Just an opinion remember...don't cry over it!

Sniff Sniff indeed.

87 wasn't a NIAR title, although its up there...

Sniff Sniff indeed.

87 wasn't a NIAR title, although its up there...

It was out first title in 9yrs though and very important, as we had lost them too, adeen, the arabs and celtc & struggled to make europe some seasons, in fact their was one, where neither of the OF made Europe, cant mind which year that was, but it was the only year it had happened, and still is, 84 or 85 if i am correct..

It was a bit of a relief, probably a lot more than 4/5/6/7/8/ in a row meant, the 9 was good, but am in agreement with the tim on this one(slaps oneself), most of the NIAR titles were boring seasons, we we were that far ahead of the rest. some of them were all but over by January.

Edits to say, sorry Legend of cooper, i hijacked the thread, going on about 2nd last day wins & now see this was for last season title wins. :cheers:

I'll state the obvious: Winning the league on the last day is MUCH better that losing it at any time! However, the league is won over the season and that's why it annoys me when folk say McLeish was lucky to win it on the last day - if he hadn't have gathered enought points over the previous 37 games the 38th would have meant fuck all.

I was one of those posters you refer to. It's not so much the winning on the last day thing but I would rather see us win it on our own back rather than have to rely on Celtic losing as well as was the case for Helicopter Sunday.

I was one of those posters you refer to. It's not so much the winning on the last day thing but I would rather see us win it on our own back rather than have to rely on Celtic losing as well as was the case for Helicopter Sunday.

(tu) I wasn't necessarily having a pop at anyone mate. I was just surprised by the tones of a few posts, making out that they were almost seen as 'consolation' (?word) prizes!

I have to say now, if we're going to win it this time around, I'd be happier winning it with a couple of games to spare. However, I think it can show that your league is strong if titles go to the last day!