*****QOTS v Rangers Official match thread*****

Blackandra

7 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

So you'd never have played Derek Johnstone at centre half because he was a centre forward?

Ball was put into that role because others including Halliday had been tried and we're found wanting.  Is it just coincidence that when the role has been filled effectively that we are seeing more positive comments about the Wilson/Kiernan partnership.

Ball was played there de to Halliday being suspended. We then tried to accommodate both but in my opinion we are a less creative/fluent unit when both start. 

Now that Holt is fully fit in see no need to push Halliday forward. Let's get back to the midfield combo that creates because we have been a little bit toothless lately albeit Waggys form hasn't helped. 

Ball as a midfielder is fine away to Hibs as a destroyer but not required against QOS who haven't has a good season. 

That's my tuppence worth anyway 

19 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

I hate this square peg round hole analogy because it's always brought up in stupid circumstances. Ball is as much a defensive midfielder as he is a defender.

Couldn't disagree more. He's a defender who can fill in at midfield if pushed. He's never a midfielder for the long term 

Some people seem to like what Ball brings to the table in midfield and while it's good he can fill in a number of positions when others are injured or suspended our midfield is key to our attacks and needs players who are dynamic and have a varied passing range...........I like Ball and think he has done well in CB and alright in the midfield role but when we have all midfielders fit he should not be playing there. Our play when we have the ball deteriorates.

The one that matters though is MW and I fear he likes Ball in the holding role and will play him before the proper midfielders at the club, I hope the lad does well of course when he plays and I will support him but I feel our attacking play diminishes.

12 hours ago, trueblueal said:

I'm not a fan of Halliday and Ball in the same midfield. Stifles our creativity albeit we are definitely more solid. I'd go Halliday Holt Zelalem or Halliday Holt Law. 

Agree with this mate, Halliday Holt and Law for me, I think it showed big time on tursday night when Ball went off and Halliday dropped deeper we played our most effective 

9 hours ago, Camshy said:

It's no coincidence our play has suffered every time Ball has been deployed in midfield, it's a classic mistake Super Ally used to make in every game......trying to put square pegs in circle holes.

MW sees something none of us do but I think I see something the magic hat doesn't, play midfielders in the midfield and keep the defenders in defence. The team will play far more fluently and the quicker he realises that the better we will be.

Its been a Rangers trend since Miller was chaged from half-back to centre forward. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. One or two games is not enough to tell. Mr Warburton will come to the right decision in the long term but he has to give players time to adjust.

Hibs making 7 changes today shows that the last few weeks are taking a toll on the legs, I'd expect we'll make 3 or more ourselves. I'd start King as well as O'Halloran today, should be the 2 freshest players in our squad. 

Any win today and I'll be delighted. It's that time of the season.

Foderingham

tavernier     Kiernan      Wilson      Wallace 

Halliday  

Law                            Holt                       

o'halloran                         King

Miller

Hopefully we should be to strong with this kind of team 

17 minutes ago, Terro266 said:

Foderingham

tavernier     Kiernan      Wilson      Wallace 

Halliday  

Law                            Holt                       

o'halloran                         King

Miller

Hopefully we should be to strong with this kind of team 

Mckay will defo start.

25 minutes ago, rfc_watp said:

Fod

Tav Wilson Kiernan Wallace

Ball

Halliday Holt

MOH Miller McKay

Wouldn't grudge Clark starting ahead of Miller as reward for his match winner midweek. 

This would be my preferred line up. I wouldn't argue if Clark started in place of Miller either.

I would rather see Forrester or King try their hand in midfield from the start than Law, but that's just my personal opinion.

Forrester hit the post against Killie and looks good in the MF position, MW has also said to BK that he could play as a number 8 or 10 as well as a winger