Pena

cushynumber

Pena's an odd case. There's talent in there, but he's only shown it in flashes.

I don't think we've spent anything like £3m on him. I'd be shocked if we had. But the figure seems to be rising and rising everytime he has a bad touch. 

Also seen him described as 'the worst Rangers signing in history' on here which is hilarious :lol: so over the top, and some have short memories. 

He's being used as a stick to beat Pedro with. I've never seen a player targeted so much by a commentary team as was the case on Friday. It was a disgrace, Butcher in particular. 

He's not sharp or contributing enough yet, but I'd rather rally behind a guy that's struggling than slaughter him like Sutton, Butcher and co. Might just be me. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Pena's an odd case. There's talent in there, but he's only shown it in flashes.

I don't think we've spent anything like £3m on him. I'd be shocked if we had. But the figure seems to be rising and rising everytime he has a bad touch. 

Also seen him described as 'the worst Rangers signing in history' on here which is hilarious :lol: so over the top, and some have short memories. 

He's being used as a stick to beat Pedro with. I've never seen a player targeted so much by a commentary team as was the case on Friday. It was a disgrace, Butcher in particular. 

He's not sharp or contributing enough yet, but I'd rather rally behind a guy that's struggling than slaughter him like Sutton, Butcher and co. Might just be me. 

I think we probably have spent close to 3-million on him, no proof just a gut feeling but you are right on the rest - to say he's our worst signing ever is just the type of bonkers hyperbole you see. People are saying he's shite, is he fuck - he's been alright without hitting any great heights. 

However if he doesn't get any better or improve, then Pedro will rightly get slaughtered for wasting what little we have on a big purchase like him.

8 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

There is no way Pena is worse than Senderos. I was always so scared when that cunt ended up with the ball. It amazes me how he looked as if he never played a pro game in his life.

1 minute ago, Tenerife Bear said:

:thumbup: He absolutely has. Scary that wee Holt survived the cull in the summer. 

I think he is a handy wee player to have around the team and does seem a good team player, he is very limited as a player though.

31 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

I think he is a handy wee player to have around the team and does seem a good team player, he is very limited as a player though.

Ultimately not good enough to play for us though. celtic's subs for example are Israeli international Biton or young Callum McGregor who comes in and scores goals a plenty for them from midfield, Holt is nowhere near that level. He's just a Kilmarnock level player, bottom 6/lower league.  We need far better. 

2 hours ago, Bigdave30 said:

There is defo a player in there somewhere, I think people underestimate how much the big change of climate/culture can affect a player.

look at the amount of players that have bombed coming from Spain and Italy with big reputations to England because they can't live with a bit of rain and a language barrier.

If pedro judged him on what we see in the video it's hard to fault the manager for thinking we were getting an attacking minded player who gets things done in and around the box which is something we sorely missed under the breadman.

Hope we didn't buy him based on a video lol

1 hour ago, ZeeFour said:

There is no way Pena is worse than Senderos. I was always so scared when that cunt ended up with the ball. It amazes me how he looked as if he never played a pro game in his life.

SENDEROS was scared when he ended up with the ball!!!

1 hour ago, K.A.I said:

I think we probably have spent close to 3-million on him, no proof just a gut feeling but you are right on the rest - to say he's our worst signing ever is just the type of bonkers hyperbole you see. People are saying he's shite, is he fuck - he's been alright without hitting any great heights. 

However if he doesn't get any better or improve, then Pedro will rightly get slaughtered for wasting what little we have on a big purchase like him.

Apparently nowhere near that.

2 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

What have you been told and from where? not being cheeky, genuinely interested. 

Thats just what I heard. I would be very surprised if we had spent anywhere near that amount anyway. I suppose the accounts will show it either way.

BTW - not trying to swerve your question...but I cannot remember who told me.

57 minutes ago, Tenerife Bear said:

Ultimately not good enough to play for us though. celtic's subs for example are Israeli international Biton or young Callum McGregor who comes in and scores goals a plenty for them from midfield, Holt is nowhere near that level. He's just a Kilmarnock level player, bottom 6/lower league.  We need far better. 

Yeah true enough, we need to aim higher as much as i like the wee guy.

Only mentioned him because i can see a clamour starting to build to have him included after a decent sub performance vs Hamilton.

imo He struggling to adapt to the time (lack of) he will be afforded on the ball. I think it's fair enough he has to adjust to that however that has to now happen sooner rather than later. 

I haven't seen anyone say it however anyone that suggests he's amongst our worst signings ever must be around 1 year old. 

14 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

all players come with an element of risk, we tried the british players nonsense last season and it was shite, we try something different and we dont even give it proper time to work out or not

True. Thing is it's early days and he might come good. I've certainly not written him off yet, but the start he's made has not impressed, and it's concerning that his attitude hasn't looked right so far. 

I'm saying we shouldn't be taking such a big risk on our biggest spend in years. Plus he's 27, if we're going to take a risk on a player it should be a younger prospect who's value might increase rapidly after a good season or two. 

14 minutes ago, Smile said:

I just can't see it with Pena even his positioning on the pitch at times makes him look like he's never played above amateur level.

That is how I see it s well; I expect a professional footballer to be able to control a moving ball which comes straight to him, something which seems way beyond his abilities. Watching his movement leaves me baffled, I am thinking why most of the time.

1 hour ago, markem said:

I haven't seen anyone say it however anyone that suggests he's amongst our worst signings ever must be around 1 year old. 

I think there is a distinction to be made between worst player ever and worst signing ever. If Pena doesn't improve he could go down as our biggest waste of money in years, but people like Senderos were actually horrific to watch on the pitch. Depending on how much we paid Barton he could be a contender for our biggest waste of money in years.

7 minutes ago, OhW said:

I think there is a distinction to be made between worst player ever and worst signing ever. If Pena doesn't improve he could go down as our biggest waste of money in years, but people like Senderos were actually horrific to watch on the pitch. Depending on how much we paid Barton he could be a contender for our biggest waste of money in years.

That's a fair point - I remain hopeful the guy will go on to be a player for us. 

Ever the (blind) optimist. 

Archived