When your son/daughter marries a Celtic fan .............

What can you do about this? I've known of this more than a few times and, in the end, it works out.  Rough and rocky at the start though with lots of discomfort and unease.  Recall one example from Renfrew (right Rangers royal burgh so it is) when the father refused to attend the wedding.  Irony is that his daughter-in-law ended taking good care of him after he had a real bad stroke.  Don't think that the son ever forgave his father and both grandchildren turned out to be fans of the other side.  

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Being a dad of three girls this was a worry for me, not now, quite confident my lassies won't entertain any of those cunts , even my wife has told them to stick to their own and she doesn't give a fuck about all that stuff, when you're 13 year old is singing in her room about 50p flutes and her 16 year sister has Armagh Brigade playing on her phone, the chest swells. 

7 minutes ago, The Widow's Son said:

What can you do about this? I've known of this more than a few times and, in the end, it works out.  Rough and rocky at the start though with lots of discomfort and unease.  Recall one example from Renfrew (right Rangers royal burgh so it is) when the father refused to attend the wedding.  Irony is that his daughter-in-law ended taking good care of him after he had a real bad stroke.  Don't think that the son ever forgave his father and both grandchildren turned out to be fans of the other side.  

My daughter has a bad habit of picking taigs as boyfriends. She's talking about moving in with the current taig, although he's not too bothered about the football now. The important thing to remember is,when they have kids, make sure that you get them supporting the right team. My sister in law, used to be a big Hearts fan, before she married my brother, but me and my brother made sure that all four kids supported Rangers, even she does now.

Married one myself,  already have my wee girl shouting Rangers and singing away to Rangers songs at 2. Think the general rule is the grand children support who the dad supports so wouldn't be over the moon if she ended up with a Tim. Ridiculous to miss your own daughters wedding over it though.

My daughter is currently dating one seems very keen on him. Probably going out with each other for over 6 months but tbh he is a good lad. 

They aren't getting married just yet. Would be a disappointment having grandchildren supporting them but out of my control. 

I have jokingly told her to get the background checks done next time. 

3 hours ago, Scottywellhousetb said:

Being a dad of three girls this was a worry for me, not now, quite confident my lassies won't entertain any of those cunts , even my wife has told them to stick to their own and she doesn't give a fuck about all that stuff, when you're 13 year old is singing in her room about 50p flutes and her 16 year sister has Armagh Brigade playing on her phone, the chest swells. 

Same 3 daughters all married all bluenoses 1 in forces & other two in building trade yea it was a worry don't think couldv'e handled it  giving a daughter away in a chapel.

9 minutes ago, Ivybank said:

Told the kids at an early age never date/bring to the house/marry a Tim. Would break my heart, luckily I don't have friends/relatives who are and try to avoid them in life if at all possible

Same ethos avoid them I know it may work for some but sorry not for me.

Not worried about my sons, no question that any kids would be brought up on the right side of the divide.

My daughter did date a celtic fan briefly and it led me to having a heart to heart with her.

I explained the great anxiety I was suffering from with the thought of seeing any grandkids wearing green and grey tops and that I could never fully accept them into my life.  She saw sense and chucked him shortly afterwards.

It's acceptable. Personally there's no way I'd bring wains up as being religious, and especially not in the Catholic Church, but that's just me.

What 100% isn't acceptable is for any children to be brought up as mhankies. Normally the guy in the relationship determines what way the kids will go, but I've noticed an alarming trend for Rangers supporting guys, often if they maybe aren't religious, to let the Mrs bring the wains up as Catholics. Now this in itself isn't the worst either (as I say, wouldn't be me, but heyho), but it can help lead to them becoming mhankies. 

A mother/father, grandmother/grandfather has one main, non-negotiable responsibility in these terms, and that's to make sure that they bring the wains up Bears regardless of what else they're brought up as. If they become a mhanky then it's a failure.

Threats of inheritance/selling the wains to Greek gypsies are reasonable tactical options in the circumstances.

4 hours ago, Thewhitesettler said:

My daughter has a bad habit of picking taigs as boyfriends. She's talking about moving in with the current taig, although he's not too bothered about the football now. The important thing to remember is,when they have kids, make sure that you get them supporting the right team. My sister in law, used to be a big Hearts fan, before she married my brother, but me and my brother made sure that all four kids supported Rangers, even she does now.

Don't ever fall into that trap.When crunch comes to crunch........................

She can do what she likes. Would depend how high on the Rabid Scale they were. Certainly wouldn't be inviting any taigs round to watch the football with me or anything tho. Id just give the cunt abuse and wee digs to let him know his place and let them get on with it.

If he came for Xmas dinner all he'd get served would be roasties, mash and chips. Since I've heard that's a traditional Irish Xmas dinner

My wife is a catholic from a right taigy scum supporting family of which there are hundreds of them or seems to be.

It caused no end of bother for her as we got married in the church and I was serving in the armed forces at the time and of course being a bear three things they hated,I was the devil incarnate to them.

When my son was born they put pressure on her for him to go to a RC school etc so you can imagine when he goes to a non Dom school and is a season ticket holder at Ibrox and his room is a shrine to the bears.

Best your kids don't go through that and avoid them at all costs.

This is going to sound weird as fuck but most of my mates that are Protestant have girls as kids and most of my mates kids that are tarriers have boys. Not sure how the fuck that works out but the only time my Protestant mates have got wee boys it's been like the 3/4 time of asking.

Fuck that. My kid will never marry one of they rabid fucks. 

Our community and support has became passive to this stuff, so were getting good Protestant kids by blood brought up as a tarrier/catholic and then you have them multiplying by what seems like 100 a day and being brought up devout bitter fucks anyway.