Bates

MrMckee

Need to get him signed up on a new contract. Would be criminal to lose him over a couple grand a week or whatever the contract problems where when discussed not long ago. One that will keep getting better and wouldn't be surprised if he got a call up to the Scotland squad in the near future. Should be one we get on a long contract and could be a rock at CH for years to come and a position you don't want to keep chopping and changing. No brainer for me.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Agree'd, the only negative about the lad is his out balls but the thing is is I like my defenders to defend first and in that area Bates is brilliant. Considering he was brought in for and Old Firm following Alves being injured, he's handled the games week in, week out just fine. 

Still think he lacks confidence, obviously more games = more experience, seen him attempt a cross field pass which was cut out and created a chance for Falkirk.

The funny thing is that's what I want from most of the players, to have the confidence to play those passes, it opens the play quicker and can lead to better attacks.

Good enough to be a backup CB for us (and any new contract we offer him should be on that basis, if he doesn't like it then cool thanks for your efforts) but we desperately need to spend good money on a pair of CBs for next season. Hopefully Mark Allen is working away in the background identifying targets. 

He is OK. 

Getting more confident on the ball but distribution still leaves a lot to be desired, and it’s something that will always be heavily scrutinised when he plays with a team that dominate possession. 

If the shouts of wanting 9k a week are true though, he can leave. Wouldn’t be anything more than backup next year.

12 minutes ago, TheMotor said:

I don't think he is better or worse then any of our other options at Centre Back but then I wouldn't be offering any of them a new contract if it was my choice.

Fair point I suppose regarding any of our CB options but I feel with Bates there is something to build on and I think he is as good if not better than our current options. Don't think we'll ever find out how Cardoso might have worked out as I think he'll be punted  in the summer and Alves will be offski as well.  

Out of curiosity I’d love to know what the hold up is with getting a deal done with big Bates 

Is it Rangers being really stingy with the offer, I mean he’s worth a couple grand a week no more no less an he should be very thankful or is the big fella’s mind being poisoned by his agent advising him not to sign for whatever the offer is hoping it will increase?

id have thought this would be the easiest contract extension out of everybody in the squad, surely!!! the big guy knows he’ll never get a move to a bigger or better club 

1 minute ago, Tomatasauce said:

Out of curiosity I’d love to know what the hold up is with getting a deal done with big Bates 

Is it Rangers being really stingy with the offer or is the big fella’s mind being poisoned by his agent advising him not to sign for whatever the offer is hoping it will increase?

id have thought this would be the easiest contract extension out of everybody in the squad, surely!!! the big guy knows he’ll never get a move to a bigger or better club 

He was made an offer but wants more money as far as I know. If he wants more than we think he's worth then it's bye bye.