Gerrard (suggested) to play v Helsinki

I see Gordon Parks is suggesring Gerrard pull his boots on for the Game to get bums on seats. It would be fantastic to see him in the Royal blue shirt.

Would it make you go if you aren't already?

Goram was suggesting that he sign himself as a player the other day too, I doubt that he would though.

1 minute ago, Leeds_Bear said:

As much as I’d like to see it he’d just open himself up to ridicule from the Scottish media. He should stay on the sidelines while he’s Manager. 

I agree with that regards Goram and signing as a player manager. Wouldn't be against him playing in the friendly though even if it was just for 45 mins

2 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

Having your manager come out of retirement to play in a meaningless friendly with the reserve squad is extremely embarrassing. I'm pretty sure the journalist who suggested it knows this.

He wouldn't be coming out if retirement, he would be playing in exactly what you said, a meaningless friendly but would possibly get more fans through the gates hence why I asked if people would be more likely to go if it was confirmed Gerrard would play

12 minutes ago, Perth_Campsie_Ger said:

Why would it be embarrassing?

No it wouldn't be - perhaps we're 3 nil down at half time - 2nd half Gerrard immediately scores with a header, we get 2 others and eventually win the game on penalties.

Fcking doddle. 

9 minutes ago, Perth_Campsie_Ger said:

He wouldn't be coming out if retirement, he would be playing in exactly what you said, a meaningless friendly but would possibly get more fans through the gates hence why I asked if people would be more likely to go if it was confirmed Gerrard would play

And if he pulls a hamstring. gets his studs caught in the ground breaking his ankle or gets done by one of their players then what? Let Mcallister take the two biggest games of the season over the course of the next week?

3 minutes ago, Sweettartangirl said:

Can't see it being any different to testimonial matches etc 

Be interesting to see how he would fair...

Testimonials aren't normally considered official matches (which is why you often get players guesting in them). This is a game scheduled to get the players back up to match sharpness before we return to league action. Playing the manager would be a pointless exercise and would come across as a bit of an ego trip at the expense of the players we'll be looking to use v Kilmarnock.

16 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

And if he pulls a hamstring. gets his studs caught in the ground breaking his ankle or gets done by one of their players then what? Let Mcallister take the two biggest games of the season over the course of the next week?

I genuinely think folk this is just a wee kick about up the park.

It's absurd to even suggest a professional football manager take part in a friendly game.

18 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Testimonials aren't normally considered official matches (which is why you often get players guesting in them). This is a game scheduled to get the players back up to match sharpness before we return to league action. Playing the manager would be a pointless exercise and would come across as a bit of an ego trip at the expense of the players we'll be looking to use v Kilmarnock.

Disagree with this. I think the players would be quite honoured playing with one of EPLs greatest players in recent years and learning a little from his own style of play and experience.  Might give them a power kick for the domestic games,  perhaps. 

Anyway, even IF he did(which he more than likely won't anyway),  there is a fair few who would still go to watch,  regardless of it being a good or bad idea.  

2 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

I genuinely think folk this is just a wee kick about up the park.

It's absurd to even suggest a professional football manager take part in a friendly game.

1 minute ago, Sweettartangirl said:

Disagree with this. I think the players would be quite honoured playing with one of EPLs greatest players in recent years and learning a little from his own style of play and experience.  Might give them a power kick,  perhaps. 

Anyway, even IF he did(which he more than likely won't anyway),  there is a fair few who would still go to watch,  regardless of it being a good or bad idea.  

Or worse, a computer game

29 minutes ago, The Dude said:

It was also booked for this weekend incase the game on Friday gets postponed 

6 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

It was also booked for this weekend incase the game on Friday gets postponed 

Aye, that's a fair point actually. It's very much about getting minutes into legs after three weeks 'off'. Some of the summer friendlies are often just a jolly to introduce new signings etc but this has been organised with a genuine purpose.