Our crossing

.Williamson.

1 minute ago, TMB said:

Our crossing is excellent we just don't have anyone that can head the ball in the next.  If we had someone like Jelavic up front for our full-backs to fire balls at it would be one of our most dangerous weapons.  

I've seen many excellent crosses this season. But I've also seen games like yesterday where the crossing was dreadful, really abysmal. Like our overall play, it's a lottery what we're going to see.

5 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

I've seen many excellent crosses this season. But I've also seen games like yesterday where the crossing was dreadful, really abysmal. Like our overall play, it's a lottery what we're going to see.

Would good crosses have made a difference yesterday?  Who's going to head it in to the net?  Defoe's looks tiny.  Having a striker who can head the ball might make the most of those full-backs.

Just now, TMB said:

Would good crosses have made a difference yesterday?  Who's going to head it in to the net?  Defoe's looks tiny.  Having a striker who can head the ball might make the most of those full-backs.

Good crosses arent only in the air though are they? Many of our best crosses have been low and accurate with pace.

We'll never find out about how he'd have done yesterday as the crossing was so abysmal and often didn't pass the first man or went out of the park.

2 hours ago, EatDolphins said:

This thread could easily be

Our passing 

Our shooting

Our tempo

Correct mate but don't forget our desire and our will to win,  pride in the jersey ect. something that has been missing most of our games this season. In a nut shell we are not a very good football team.

3 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

It's really really bad. Anytime we get the ball down either wing I never feel like anything will come from a potential ball into the box.

Same goes for when we get a free kick near the box or a corner. 

It mightn't even be our crossing as such and could be that we have absolutely nobody in our team that is good in the air. How bad Lafferty is in the air for the height he is actually beggars belief. 

Think I made a similar thread to this last season but it has came back into my head after we spent the entire game yesterday kicking the ball over the head of Defoe 

I think the latter part of your post is spot on, but I think we do cross the ball, in general, very well but I think we rely on it to much at the moment!

I also think that whilst Tav and Barasic are good at crossing, Candeias/Kent/Halliday etc are very hit and miss, but it doesnt help when we are punting balls into the box in the air for Defoe. As for Lafferty hes just a booking waiting to happen, he throws his arms all over the place whenever a ball is put in the air! 

9 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Good crosses arent only in the air though are they? Many of our best crosses have been low and accurate with pace.

We'll never find out about how he'd have done yesterday as the crossing was so abysmal and often didn't pass the first man or went out of the park.

If you look at the assists that Barisic and Tavernier have gotten this season you would see most of them are balls in the air.  

We keep playing high ball crosses. As if we have a big centre forward to put them away. 

We need to try and play to the strengths of the strikers we do have. Even trying to get low crosses across the ground for our forwards to run and latch onto. 

12 hours ago, G.E.C. said:

Barisic is good at crossing himself.

He is not good enough for me and will be punted 

I think SG now knows this 

He is also powderpuff in a challenge 

OP is right though

For me the very worst part of our game and it's scandalous that 2 legends can't see it or address it 

The scum always sign players that can whip a free kick in causing havoc 

We offer up very little surprises when we are on set plays 

12 hours ago, sausagetrunks said:

our midfield is fucking shocking, we dont have players who run beyond the forwards, with one two passes etc, its a backwards sidewards pass, no penetration. 4-3-3 and defoe is terrible.  

Who the fuck do posters feel are capable of being on the end of crosses.  Defoe or Morelos are hardly towering giants..... Wish barisic had a DJ or a DP to aim for.   Was thinking back to the Warburton days with balls fired across the box just begging for s poacher that's the type of service JD needs

It's not just the crossing.  It's just the general predictability of what we do.  Defenders pass it to the midfielders, they pass it out wide and an aimless ball is put into the middle.  If it's the full backs a nominal run towards the byline before they cross to no one and if it's Candeias then it's an early ball into the middle with most of them hitting the first defender or areas where he hopes a forward will be rather than picking someone out.  Only Kent will on occasion run at the opposition, try something different and cut inside to shoot.  The biggest problem we have is the confused nature of our play.  The wingers and full backs are generally playing as though they are expecting a target man to be in the middle.  The forwards are all looking for ball to feet, short quick passes or through balls and the midfielders are generally guys who are up for a battle but then desperately looking for someone to take control of the ball from them and create something.  We really should've signed a proper number 10 attacking midfielder and not Davis who is now just used to doing the same role as Jack but in a far inferior way.  I'm hoping Jamie Murphy comes back soon and then either him or Kent can play in the middle behind the forward.  We don't need 3 defensive midfielders.

teams are playing 5 at the back and strangling our wing play, they know this is our strong point and how we play, we're going to have to adapt a different system where we can get in behind them, midfield players linking up with the forwards and getting in behind them thro the middle.  our midfield passes sidewards and backwards, no one taking on responsibility of trying to get in behind the opposition. teams are choking our wing play and hit us on the counter. SG should have changed that on sat at half time imo.  

Always found it baffling that people just assume because players are tall they should be good in the air and heading, just being tall doesn't make your timing, jumping, reading of the game and heading any better.

A pin-point cross to a good striker will have a better chance of a goal than a hopeful lump in to the box for a big lump to jump at or a wee lump to get caught underneath. We have a lot of work to do.

1 hour ago, plumbGER said:

Always found it baffling that people just assume because players are tall they should be good in the air and heading, just being tall doesn't make your timing, jumping, reading of the game and heading any better.

A pin-point cross to a good striker will have a better chance of a goal than a hopeful lump in to the box for a big lump to jump at or a wee lump to get caught underneath. We have a lot of work to do.

Being tall gives you an instant advantage on shorter players at winning a ball in the air.

The fact he has reached the age he has in his career and clearly has never tried to improve this skill is ridiculous. He's a fucking waste of time