The elusive midfielder

LochendBilly

17 hours ago, LochendBilly said:

We all know we need someone who can see a pass and split open defences, who is out there that we could afford? Doesn't need to be a big name, just someone who could make the difference.

Jamie Murphy in a central role?

We need two midfielders. One who is going to drift around and look for pockets of space and try to open defences up with passes and somebody who will go more box to box and drive us up the park with powerful running. Kamara, Jack & McCrorie all have their uses but they are all very defensively minded with the majority of their game being neat, safe, sideways passes that help us keep possession but aren’t quick enough to pull teams across the park, out of shape and open the game up.

46 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

He’s played 17 games for Belenenses this season. They are doing ok in the Portuguese league too. Amazing stuff.

His performance in the away game against Progres is one of the worst I’ve ever seen in professional football and definitely the worst I’ve seen in a Rangers strip.

13 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

We need two midfielders. One who is going to drift around and look for pockets of space and try to open defences up with passes and somebody who will go more box to box and drive us up the park with powerful running. Kamara, Jack & McCrorie all have their uses but they are all very defensively minded with the majority of their game being neat, safe, sideways passes that help us keep possession but aren’t quick enough to pull teams across the park, out of shape and open the game up.

I disagree about Kamara. I think he's quite dynamic in that he wins the ball and covers ground with it. He is good at transitions. We do need a driving force but arguably he plays for us already. McCrorie could be our captain in the middle, next to Kamara with an Arfield replacement with more guile in summer.  Rossiter has some excellent qualities as well as an alternative to Kamara or McCrorie, if he proves his fitness he could be the dynamic box to box player we are missing 

18 hours ago, tannerall said:

Steven Gerrard.

I wonder if with our obvious weakness in scoring from outside the box and our lack of goals from midfield coupled by how deep teams sit against us whether he has any regrets about not playing this season.

Not sure who I'd suggest for attacking mid but I'd look into buying the boy Ikpeazu from Hearts to go up with Morelos. Big lump of a boy (6ft 3) who is fast too. Seem to remember Worrall bouncing off him earlier in the season at Ibrox. He wouldn't get bullied and we could really do with some steel. Playing nice football in this league only gets you so far. We need some hardmen that won't take any shit. Morelos aside, I don't think we have anyone who stands up for themself.

44 minutes ago, trueblueal said:

I disagree about Kamara. I think he's quite dynamic in that he wins the ball and covers ground with it. He is good at transitions. We do need a driving force but arguably he plays for us already. McCrorie could be our captain in the middle, next to Kamara with an Arfield replacement with more guile in summer.  Rossiter has some excellent qualities as well as an alternative to Kamara or McCrorie, if he proves his fitness he could be the dynamic box to box player we are missing 

I like Kamara and think he’s a decent player but I worry he’s going to be another player who looks great when we are playing well but goes into his shell when things aren’t so good. That tends to be the case with most midfielders who have come through at Arsenal doesn’t it? :lol:

18 hours ago, Cedrick said:

Still maintain I’d give Tav a bash in the middle of the park a few games between now and the end of the season see how he does , he will go box to box ,full of energy , creates chances albeit from wide just now ,he’ll get into more shooting positions to ,played centre mid a few games under Murty and done well 

This has crossed my mind also. 

Worth trying out. Can’t remember seeing him play there under nutty though. 

22 hours ago, DBBTB said:

Would you also tell us that he’s a barely functioning alcoholic or would we have to find that out the hard way again?

Barely functioning alcoholic that offered up more goals per minute than any of our current midfield (id like to state i havent researched this and its an educated guess)