Dave King Press Conference.

simon

He's right that you'd expect success to correlate to the wage bill. The fact is we had far too many dud players and overpaid them. Despite this these players still underachieved.

I get where you're coming from re reckless spending given where we've been in the past. It's just not practical in the short term to have a sustainable model, especially when you consider the ambitions of the club. We need to increase the numbers and quality of the squad as well as put in a new management structure and build a scouting network with an eye on promotion and be competitive in the spfl. We just won't be able to do that whilst living within our means surely.

Well, yeah. Of course you would expect it to, but the whole approach he took to that line of questioning implied throwing money at it, instead of being shrewd. I imagine our next manager probably won't piss money up the wall, but still, just thought he might acknowledge that actually, results far from correlated to wage budget this season and that high wage budget or outspending your opponent does not guarantee success.

Aye, I totally understand that in the short term we just can't have a sustainable model. It's just that the words seemed to hint that we wouldn't settle into a self-sustaining model in the future, however, I know there has been things said in the past by PM/DK that are a little more positive in that direction.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you who think McCall will be the manager, I suggest you get your money on at the bookies. He is available as big as 20/1.

I don't think he has any chance tbh. UNLESS all our other targets knock us back.

Even at the height of our spending I don't think we could have afforded his son. :(

I was saying to DJW the other day that I was stunned he had to take a job in Norway to get a break in Europe. He did an excellent job with the USA and although it shouldn't really be a factor you would think that with so many clubs looking to break into the US market too you would think that would only add to the appeal.

Him and Solskjaer would have been excellent candidates for the job.

Didn't he go to Roma for only about 4 million? Wouldn't have said he in particular would have been one outwith our range, bud. Especially when our spending was at it's hight.

Well, yeah. Of course you would expect it to, but the whole approach he took to that line of questioning implied throwing money at it, instead of being shrewd. I imagine our next manager probably won't piss money up the wall, but still, just thought he might acknowledge that actually, results far from correlated to wage budget this season and that high wage budget or outspending your opponent does not guarantee success.

Aye, I totally understand that in the short term we just can't have a sustainable model. It's just that the words seemed to hint that we wouldn't settle into a self-sustaining model in the future, however, I know there has been things said in the past by PM/DK that are a little more positive in that direction.

I think he was trying to emphasize the disparity between what we were paying and the actual results delivered by the majority of our mince last season. As let's face it, talking in relative terms, you'd be hard pushed to find worse value given their salaries against the pathetic showing from all bar a couple.

King coming out and saying that he'd be very, very surprised if the new manager would want to retain any of the released players given the 'budget he'll have' and after 'the miserable failure' from this lot, would seem to concur with the above.

I think he was trying to emphasize the disparity between what we were paying and the actual results delivered by the majority of our mince last season. As let's face it, talking in relative terms, you'd be hard pushed to find worse value given their salaries against the pathetic showing from all bar a couple.

King coming out and saying that he'd be very, very surprised if the new manager would want to retain any of the released players given the 'budget he'll have' and after 'the miserable failure' from this lot, would seem to concur with the above.

I'm not entirely convinced he was, but that's a fair way of looking at it so hopefully I've just misinterpreted it.

I have to say I don't think we have another false dawn in us so hopefully the pieces will now begin to fall into place

I think so as well, I think Dave King will come up with the money, manager and a new squad in the next 3-4 weeks as well as payoff the Ashley loan of 5 million; there is no other option; this time next year this entire thread will look old when automatic promotion is achieved by the end of April!

Have you watched it mate, he was far too vague for my liking. But it will be interesting to see the figures he puts out with the season ticket letters. (tu)

I seen snippets of it.

Better being vague when speaking publicly imo.

But you're right, it will be interesting to see exactly what he puts on the renewal letters.

Can't wait for it personally, he's been bumping his gums since before CG bought us.

Time to put his money where his mouth is.

For those of you who think McCall will be the manager, I suggest you get your money on at the bookies. He is available as big as 20/1.

I don't think he has any chance tbh. UNLESS all our other targets knock us back.

Giving McCall the job is a sure fure way to not sell STs.

I seen snippets of it.

Better being vague when speaking publicly imo.

But you're right, it will be interesting to see exactly what he puts on the renewal letters.

Can't wait for it personally, he's been bumping his gums since before CG bought us.

Time to put his money where his mouth is.

Yes it is time for him to back up all the good talk, I think the appointment of manager will tell us a lot about how serious he is. (tu)

Anybody know when we sold the most amount of kits in the UK? He said we were number 1 not too long ago and sold 500k.

Not sure when we were number 1 or when we sold 500k however Paul Murray claimed last month we sold 500k 15 years ago so on that basis it would have been around 2000. Apparently.

Correct (tu)

Who do you want to see get the job?

I am not sure, the bread man is interesting, but have only read about him in the last few weeks to be honest. What I do think is if King & Co bring in an exciting manager that would make me think they were serious, if it is S Mc or someone like him I will be disappointed. We should know by this time next week I would think. (tu)

Not sure when we were number 1 or when we sold 500k however Paul Murray claimed last month we sold 500k 15 years ago so on that basis it would have been around 2000. Apparently.

The first Nike kit was one of the best sellers on tje planet at the time