Paul Murray: Rangers will NOT be put into any financial risk in the pursuit of Celtic.. but we WILL compete for the title

bluchoo

RANGERS director Paul Murray insists the Light Blues board will take a smart and sensible approach to life in the Ladbrokes Premiership.

Mark Warburton's side clinched the Championship title and promotion to the top flight on Tuesday night with a 1-0 home win over Dumbarton at Ibrox.

According to Murray it marked the end of "four years of misery" for the Govan club, who re-emerged in the bottom tier of Scottish football in 2012 following a financial meltdown.

After celebrating with the supporters, midfielder Andy Halliday spoke of challenging Celtic for the title next season and while Murray is no less ambitious, he outlined the way forward using a four-pronged strategy.

He said: "First of all let's enjoy last night. It has been a long time coming and we should enjoy our successes and there are still a number of very important games to go this season.

But it returns us to where we think we should be, the top flight of Scottish football and in many ways it is phase one.

"Phase two is to get the club back to competitive level with a view to winning the Premiership title and we want to do that as soon as we can.

"The board to a man are all Rangers fans first and foremost so we understand that it is not enough for the Rangers fans for the team to go up into the league and simply make up the numbers.

"I am not going to make outlandish promises and say we are going to win the league in the first season but we will obviously try and make the team as competitive as we can as quickly as possible.

"I don't think you can put figures on that. It is not always about throwing money at the situation. First and foremost we don't want to put the club into financial risk.

"We have just been through four years of misery so we are not going to do it again.

"Obviously the benchmark in Scotland is Celtic

"With a combination of investment, a good management team which we believe we have, a good recruitment structure which we have put in place behind the scenes and also a progressive youth structure, putting that together, there is no reason why we can't compete pretty quickly.

Daily record

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, bluchoo said:

RANGERS director Paul Murray insists the Light Blues board will take a smart and sensible approach to life in the Ladbrokes Premiership.

Mark Warburton's side clinched the Championship title and promotion to the top flight on Tuesday night with a 1-0 home win over Dumbarton at Ibrox.

According to Murray it marked the end of "four years of misery" for the Govan club, who re-emerged in the bottom tier of Scottish football in 2012 following a financial meltdown.

After celebrating with the supporters, midfielder Andy Halliday spoke of challenging Celtic for the title next season and while Murray is no less ambitious, he outlined the way forward using a four-pronged strategy.

He said: "First of all let's enjoy last night. It has been a long time coming and we should enjoy our successes and there are still a number of very important games to go this season.

But it returns us to where we think we should be, the top flight of Scottish football and in many ways it is phase one.

"Phase two is to get the club back to competitive level with a view to winning the Premiership title and we want to do that as soon as we can.

"The board to a man are all Rangers fans first and foremost so we understand that it is not enough for the Rangers fans for the team to go up into the league and simply make up the numbers.

"I am not going to make outlandish promises and say we are going to win the league in the first season but we will obviously try and make the team as competitive as we can as quickly as possible.

"I don't think you can put figures on that. It is not always about throwing money at the situation. First and foremost we don't want to put the club into financial risk.

"We have just been through four years of misery so we are not going to do it again.

"Obviously the benchmark in Scotland is Celtic

"With a combination of investment, a good management team which we believe we have, a good recruitment structure which we have put in place behind the scenes and also a progressive youth structure, putting that together, there is no reason why we can't compete pretty quickly.

Daily record

:drugang:

1 minute ago, LeeWallaceRFC said:

Windass and Crooks cost £30,000 each. We don't need millions, we need our scouting system to continue their exceptional work.

Get rid of the rest of the dead wood in Law, Shiels, Templeton, Clark, Bell and bring on more of the likes of Waghorn, Tavernier etc.

and Windass and Crooks are going to be more squad players according to McParland. It will take a lot more than that trust me.

4 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

It is tho as it stands they're champions. If Aberdeen win it then they are the benchmark 

4 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

I know what he means buddy and you are right around the context. I suppose for me the benchmark means the 'standard' and they will never set our standards.  Cannot really fault the points the fella is making though - could not help but boke at that particular line.

1 minute ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

I very much doubt that tbh,the two of them are too good to be "squad players".

Wasn't me that said it. A couple said it on here the other day in some interview attributed to McParland. Would be good to get a link.

Still think it will take a bit more than these guys to get us where we need to be. If investment means signings like this then it will be pretty underwhelming.

I'd rather come second spending within our means than to come first taking on debt that compromises the club's finances. Anyone who thinks and owner in a league situation such as ours can just throw money at the team without a second though is being unrealistic. Next season will present new problems in this regard, but if we are all patient and give the manager and coaching staff time then in the long term we could reap the benefits.

Don't think we would be in such a rush to sign up two squad players and no harm to FMP but what he is supposed to have said and what he did say makes no odds.I think we all know who will decide who is playing and who is just a squad player, as the main man repeatedly says its all about the squad.

Talking to that Rhag again..????...But ho hum..It's perfectly reasonable to NEVER resort to spending huge amounts of cash again, Wise investment on properly scouted Quality Players and a steady stream of good youngsters coming thru is the only way forward. We should and will be the Benchmark, that mhob will be in disarray when we give them a lesson on the 17th.. 

1 minute ago, TEFTONG said:

Talking to that Rhag again..????...But ho hum..It's perfectly reasonable to NEVER resort to spending huge amounts of cash again, Wise investment on properly scouted Quality Players and a steady stream of good youngsters coming thru is the only way forward. We should and will be the Benchmark, that mhob will be in disarray when we give them a lesson on the 17th.. 

Apparently it's a pa release rather than individual papers 

You guys made all the promises before you got in, no need for them now :P

Kidding aside, I can't really argue with what he is saying ( in theory).  As long as funds are spent, the team are strengthened, and we challenge for the league title, then I won't be moaning about lack of investment anymore.  ( unless DK fails to pony up come share issue time :lol: )

Aberdeen have came pretty close to beating the tarriers to the title, and they have done it without spending massive amount of money, there is no reason at all that we can not do the same or better next season.