“I would say this year, we should at least come second.”

GOAT

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Theres quite a lot of things that MW does that others are (or were) berated for. Some which were even labelled as a sackable reason.

Saying we must win the league puts pointless pressure on (and gives papers a lovely quote to wheel outif we struggle) when, there's no reason to do so. I'm sure MW and the players are fully aware that the fans want the title. I'd guess a few of them fancy it themselves. Saying it's what the board expect would just be silly. 

I can see the arguments both ways, but I tend to agree, and to me the whole topic is just a non-event anyway. What he said just doesn't matter that much.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

That's a naive outlook in my opinion. Firstly, I would like to know what you catergorise as mounting a credible challenge; but I am equally alarmed that you have doubts that we will do so, with the condition you attach of how we ended last season. You mean post the Hampden semi-final? Post where we had won the league already? We lost a cup final, so perhaps it is that one match you say makes his record one of part failure? I'm positive we will mount a credible challenge, but that is so subjective, so perhaps you should be clear what you mean by that. Compared to what he took over, you are not honestly suggesting that Warburton is one season from the sack are you?

You must want to read the post wrong, Whats Naive for expecting a better return as we were the biggest spenders in the league.Warburton couldn't motivate the players when we went into a slump.

We failed to win about nine games in the League last year against teams like Alloa, St Mirren Raith Rovers Morton Livingston Falkirk Hibs pumped by St Johnstone and Hibs in the cup.

I'd have been Happy if it had just been the one game like you suggest.

Warburton got us promoted but that's the least we could expect with our budget and training facilities.

10 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Not being objective isn't anyone else's fault but the person that isn't being objective. What you're discussing is the debate about how trustworthy DK is. There is more than one view on that, and it can be discussed more or less objectively. It's your opinion that he hasn't delivered, it's not an established fact that can be used to justify being less objective. 

To me the subject tends to be discussed less objectively, and that's nobody's fault but the people discussing it.

You're very certain you're right, but you should always remember that you might not be.

If DK delivered what he committed to, then the only criticism could be whether his commitment was suffice - it is clear that he has not delivered as he has stated.

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Theres quite a lot of things that MW does that others are (or were) berated for. Some which were even labelled as a sackable reason.

Saying we must win the league puts pointless pressure on (and gives papers a lovely quote to wheel outif we struggle) when, there's no reason to do so. I'm sure MW and the players are fully aware that the fans want the title. I'd guess a few of them fancy it themselves. Saying it's what the board expect would just be silly. 

Not that long ago second was last according to Warburton. 

Guess something at the club has changed significantly enough that he now only refers to challenging and King is content if we finish second. 

Just now, WATP-FOREVER said:

If DK delivered what he committed to, then the only criticism could be whether his commitment was suffice - it is clear that he has not delivered as he has stated.

No it isn't. This is the point.

The other point is why does what DK said today come back to that? It's not a simple assessment of whether he should be saying that, it's a bit of a spiral of 'DK is bad'. Doesn't seem very objective to me.

3 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Guess something at the club has changed significantly enough that he now only refers to challenging and King is content if we finish second. 

To me second will always be last at Rangers. i think our expectations are being lowered and some are happy at that.

1 minute ago, Inigo said:

The other point is why does what DK said today come back to that? It's not a simple assessment of whether he should be saying that, it's a bit of a spiral of 'DK is bad'. Doesn't seem very objective to me.

2 minutes ago, Smile said:

To me second will always be last at Rangers. i think our expectations are being lowered and some are happy at that.

Nail. On. Head.

And it's despite everything that was committed to by King that folk are jumping through hoops either not to hold him to or to inexplicably defend.

3 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

It's almost as if it was a sound bite which sounded good at the time. Expecting to finish first shows a staggering level of arrogance. Intending to, which I fully believe our players, staff and board do, is totally different. 

If we do finish second I think we'll need to be a close second for King to be "content". If we're 30 behind In don't believe anyone will be "content".

15 minutes ago, Smile said:

You must want to read the post wrong, Whats Naive for expecting a better return as we were the biggest spenders in the league.Warburton couldn't motivate the players when we went into a slump.

We failed to win about nine games in the League last year against teams like Alloa, St Mirren Raith Rovers Livingston Falkirk Hibs pumped by St Johnstone and Hibs in the cup.

I'd have been Happy if it had just been the one game like you suggest.

Warburton got us promoted but that's the least we could expect with our budget and training facilities.

I understand all of that, but I think there were mitigating factors that contributed to some of those defeats. We were too heavily reliant on certain players, for example; we also had players who knew fine well they were leaving, even ones who we were playing in the first eleven at the time and were certainly using in the squad. Some of the defeats were down to the league being won, possibly, and the objective, which was to win the league as a matter of necessity, added its own pressures. I watched the Hamilton match on RTV and that gave me a lot of cause for optimism which I even felt after the game anyway- in the second half we were really good; I would take also take back my earlier criticism of Kranjcar in that match- in the first half he did better than I thought he had done at the time; the much maligned Tavernier had a good game, defensively; and Kiernan also had a good match- he was solid when it came to any ball that came into our half of the park. I'm optimistic that we will mount a serious challenge, but no way should that be a matter of Warburton getting the sack if we come second; which would be a danger of happening if we were to not consider too closely what "credible" would be.  I think we need to be clear what we define as credible in our challenge for this title, and be patient with what the manager and those running the club are trying to do over a greater time than merely this season.

5 minutes ago, Smile said:

Our expectations are being lowered by expecting to challenge for the title in our first season back after all the shit that's went on?

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Our expectations are being lowered by expecting to challenge for the title in our first season back after all the shit that's went on?

Our expectations are being lowered as some seem happy just to challenge, that for me is not what it's about at Rangers it's about winning.

I even read on here that some seemed happier to beat the filth than win the cup final, that would be fine if we were a wee team like Hibs or Hearts but not Rangers.

1 minute ago, WATP-FOREVER said:

You may well think that - but you're not the Rangers FC Chairman who's on TV stating it.

So in what way have our expectations been lowered? Should we expecting to be challenging for Olympic gold this year?   We're expecting to compete for the title. There's not much higher our expectations could be this season.

Just now, Smile said:

Our expectations are being lowered as some seem happy just to challenge, that for me is not what it's about at Rangers it's about winning.

I doubt anyone is happy just to challenge.

4 hours ago, AlCapone said:

They haven't been in the CL for 2 seasons and are coming off the back of 3 seasons with 25k less season tickets than they previously had. The are outspending us because they have a billionaire on board who can provide the guarantees. We are led by a crook who has no credit with the bank and will never have us competing

I'm sure they have more than 1 billionaire on their stinking board

1 hour ago, Misteral said:

The thing is, these are changed days. We;ve had to rebuild over 4 years and now we have an opportunity to compete in the SPL. King's just not putting pressure on MW by saying it is imperative we win the league and unacceptable if we don't. Too right and I agree. This statement won't change MW's desire for us to be champions. Folk just too quick to jump on this, IMO; and those who are calling our chairman a crook in public are morons and only helping our enemies.  

I get what your saying and I agree with it,  I certainly wasn't calling him a crook I was just very disappointed with the statement,  why make any statement at all, rather than sounding negative,  we always used to do our talking on the park 

7 minutes ago, Smile said:

I even read on here that some seemed happier to beat the filth than win the cup final, that would be fine if we were a wee team like Hibs or Hearts but not Rangers.

Where has King said he is happy just to challenge? 

6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

So in what way have our expectations been lowered? Should we expecting to be challenging for Olympic gold this year?   We're expecting to compete for the title. There's not much higher our expectations could be this season.

No doubt that you have learned of Bill Struth our former Manager - do you well (& DK for that matter) to recollect his expectations of RFC - and it doesn't sound anything like DK, (& he's the RFC Chairman).

1 hour ago, HG5 said:

Very sound.

But you're up against 68% (last time I checked the poll) who think we're going to win the league.

There's a massive disconnect between that level of expectation & how the squad appears to be shaping up.

I thought we'd be challenging Celtic but Saturday has knocked the stuffing out of me.  That result was embarrassing but the performance from us was even more concerning.  We had a march about being back, banners about winning 55, then struggled against the team tipped for relegation.  I think this year is going to be a reality check for most.  If we don't get two players of quality in before the window shuts we wont win this league.

8 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Where has King said he is happy just to challenge? 

The aim is to compete he said which is just challenge then he went onto say  “I would say this year, we should at least come second.”. which to me is throwing the towel in already.

It's in the OP original post.

Hope this works as the quoting went wonky a wee while ago.