“I would say this year, we should at least come second.”

GOAT

32 minutes ago, AlCapone said:

Well you tell me how we are going to catch Celtic if he doesn't provide serious cash? What is it that's stopping you questioning or criticising him?

I'm not saying Dave King is perfect but he's the best we've had since SDM left.  I do believe Dave King has the clubs best interests at heart.  There does come a point when the company needs to break even financially, and even make some profits.  I know the team is back in the top-tier but we're still several years away from reaching our potential financially.  We're getting screwed over by the TV and merchandise, there's no European income, and we're not making any money from selling players.  Many fans expect us to spend big again because we're back in the top-tier and that's unrealistic.  If we're going to beat them on the park then Mark Warburton needs a great deal of luck in the free transfer market.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

I'm not saying Dave King is perfect but he's the best we've had since SDM left.  I do believe Dave King has the clubs best interests at heart.  There does come a point when the company needs to break even financially, and even make some profits.  I know the team is back in the top-tier but we're still several years away from reaching our potential financially.  We're getting screwed over by the TV and merchandise, there's no European income, and we're not making any money from selling players.  Many fans expect us to spend big again because we're back in the top-tier and that's unrealistic.  If we're going to beat them on the park then Mark Warburton needs a great deal of luck in the free transfer market.

At some point we will have speculate to make that jump to the promised land of CL football. 

Where do you think that money is coming from? 

10 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Maybe not a sackable offence in his view but certainly unacceptable. That's what is meant by "at least". 

For folk who spend so much time analysing every word some people utter he comprehension of them is fucking woeful at times. 

Your second paragraph is incomprehensible. 

My point stems from last season where both King and Warburton were very clear on what was acceptable. Promotion was the minimum. Neither said as I recall what would have happened if we'd failed, I'm wondering if Warburton would still be here if that was the case.

Is this the same but with the criteria now being to finish at least second?

No one really knows the implications of failure to achieve that and it interests me.

13 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

At some point we will have speculate to make that jump to the promised land of CL football. 

Where do you think that money is coming from? 

From what Dave King has said it sounds like money will be released slowly each year as we continue to recover.  It's not going to be a large overnight cash injection.

This whole statement gives the media more free lines about Rangers and after Mr Kings Ill thought out comments I am sure the manager is really looking forward to the questions at his weekly press conference.  King making the bullets for the media to fire, might be better if he jets back to his vineyard in South Africa, certainly not the clubs best ever spokesman.  

Better just letting Mini leak stories to the DR, at least then we are in control, well sort of.

5 hours ago, boyd09 said:

Changed days, when our chairman comes out with shite like that, 

The thing is, these are changed days. We;ve had to rebuild over 4 years and now we have an opportunity to compete in the SPL. King's just not putting pressure on MW by saying it is imperative we win the league and unacceptable if we don't. Too right and I agree. This statement won't change MW's desire for us to be champions. Folk just too quick to jump on this, IMO; and those who are calling our chairman a crook in public are morons and only helping our enemies.  

24 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Your second paragraph is incomprehensible. 

My point stems from last season where both King and Warburton were very clear on what was acceptable. Promotion was the minimum. Neither said as I recall what would have happened if we'd failed, I'm wondering if Warburton would still be here if that was the case.

Is this the same but with the criteria now being to finish at least second?

No one really knows the implications of failure to achieve that and it interests me.

If one missing letter makes it incomprehensible to you you've only proven the point I made. 

Had we failed it was very likely MW was gone. A third season in the championship was utterly unthinkable.

45 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Maybe not a sackable offence in his view but certainly unacceptable. That's what is meant by "at least". 

For folk who spend so much time analysing every word some people utter the comprehension of them is fucking woeful at times. 

Agreed, but DK, as the Chairman of Rangers FC needs to catch a wake up to these sleekit fucking fenian fucking meedyah cunts. A, "We are Rangers, We expect to Win all our games" would have been suffice.  MW does it almost daily, which proves he's more astute than our Chairman.

Just now, WATP-FOREVER said:

Agreed, but DK, as the Chairman of Rangers FC needs to catch a wake up to these sleekit fucking fenian fucking meedyah cunts. A, "We are Rangers, We expect to Win all our games" would have been suffice.  MW does it almost daily, which proves he's more astute than our Chairman.

If MW came out and said the expectation was to finish no lower than first folk would be losing their shit complaining about putting too much pressure on the players.  Even when MW has spoken he has always said he expects to challenge (as opposed to saying he expects go finish first) which tbh sounds like the same thing said slightly differently. 

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

If MW came out and said the expectation was to finish no lower than first folk would be losing their shit complaining about putting too much pressure on the players.  Even when MW has spoken he has always said he expects to challenge (as opposed to saying he expects go finish first) which tbh sounds like the same thing said slightly differently. 

He's (MW) is asked the very same question, almost daily - and his more often than not reply; 'We'll take each game at a time" - surely DK must see why MW replies like that.

4 hours ago, Prso's headband said:

Do you know something, I'm actually fuming with that comment. It's actually a disgrace.

That picture of him, Murray and Gilligan (where the fuck are these two btw?) outside with their hands in the air made me so proud and lifted a weight off my shoulders. I genuinely believed we could go on and conquer Scottish football again like we've always done but that statement is a joke and his promises have also been a fucking joke.

Talk all you want about "aye investment in wages and the stadium you don't see". The wage bill will be roughly the same as last year and we've sold over 70k season tickets since they took over, you're talking £30million. As for the stadium, another false promise. Couple of paper banners on the Broomloan look fucked already and aye the thing above the club shop looks decent but the main stand still hasn't seen a power wash and the toilets are still a joke. We hadn't been in the stadium since May, you're talking 15 plus weeks to give the stadium a power wash and paint it, none of which has been done. They could've got through at least half of the toilet areas in that time and phased the others through during this season.

These idiots are it btw and if we do win the league this season all credit will be given to him, which allows him another year or so to continue with his bullshit claims.

No you're not. Doesn't actually sound like much over two seasons anyway.

Dave king has a promise to live up to, which is pretty much spend £30 odd million of his own money over the space of about 4 or 5 years. We'll see in 4 or 5 years if he's been truthful. It's only 1 and a bit years so far.

I would require that promise to be fulfilled. I don't especially expect 100% openness or straight talking, though. He is, after all, a businessman.

I think it's difficult to have a discussion about DK on here any more anyway. People seem to me to suffer from the ailment that I did in relation to Ally McCoist: lack of objectivity. 

16 minutes ago, Smile said:

Ater the way we finished off last season i personally would  want Warburton gone if we do not mount a credible challenge this year.

That's a naive outlook in my opinion. Firstly, I would like to know what you catergorise as mounting a credible challenge; but I am equally alarmed that you have doubts that we will do so, with the condition you attach of how we ended last season. You mean post the Hampden semi-final? Post where we had won the league already? We lost a cup final, so perhaps it is that one match you say makes his record one of part failure? I'm positive we will mount a credible challenge, but that is so subjective, so perhaps you should be clear what you mean by that. Compared to what he took over, you are not honestly suggesting that Warburton is one season from the sack are you?

4 minutes ago, Inigo said:

I think it's difficult to have a discussion about DK on here any more anyway. People seem to me to suffer from the ailment that I did in relation to Ally McCoist: lack of objectivity. 

Who's fault is that - certainly not mine, or those that wish him to hold his weesht and only deliver what he has stated.

1 minute ago, WATP-FOREVER said:

Who's fault is that - certainly not mine, or those that wish him to hold his weesht and only deliver what he has stated.

A lack of objectivity isn't ones own fault? Well, I don't think that's true. It's influenced by external factors, but lack of objectivity belongs to the person who holds the view. Same as it did with me (and surely still does with other things). It just seems quite noticeable to me in DK threads.

30 minutes ago, The Dude said:

If one missing letter makes it incomprehensible to you you've only proven the point I made. 

Had we failed it was very likely MW was gone. A third season in the championship was utterly unthinkable.

Think it only serves to provethe point you have been unable to detect sarcasm in my original remark in that post.

I'm not suggesting it's an ultimatum issued, you do get that don't you?

It's a shit statement that does us no favours, is actually at odds with what Warburton said earlier in the year - that second would be nothing - and is far more defeatist than I'd expect of a man in his position. Ie one who can influence the likelihood of us finishing first.

He is reneging on the bluster he spouted to get in and is attempting to dumb down expectations to account for this.

And unfortunately MW probably is more likelier out the two to carry the can for Kings failings. 

1 minute ago, Inigo said:

A lack of objectivity isn't ones own fault? Well, I don't think that's true. It's influenced by external factors, but lack of objectivity belongs to the person who holds the view. Same as it did with me (and surely still does with other things). It just seems quite noticeable to me in DK threads.

It is his fault - there would be no subjective criticism if he delivered what he stated. Fairly simple really and applies in the daily lives of everyone - many people see through the bullshit, some others do not.

25 minutes ago, WATP-FOREVER said:

He's (MW) is asked the very same question, almost daily - and his more often than not reply; 'We'll take each game at a time" - surely DK must see why MW replies like that.

Warburton is on record as saying: 

“How well we close that gap will be about how competitive we are, but Rangers will never go into that league satisfied with being third or fourth."

It's all about improvement and competitiveness. If we finish second behind them and push them all the way it won't be a big thing. If we're second and thirty points off it will be a disaster. 

Given the the way we were "set back years" by previous management a close second wouldn't be too bad in our first season back. 

6 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Think it only serves to provethe point you have been unable to detect sarcasm in my original remark in that post.

I'm not suggesting it's an ultimatum issued, you do get that don't you?

It's a shit statement that does us no favours, is actually at odds with what Warburton said earlier in the year - that second would be nothing - and is far more defeatist than I'd expect of a man in his position. Ie one who can influence the likelihood of us finishing first.

He is reneging on the bluster he spouted to get in and is attempting to dumb down expectations to account for this.

And unfortunately MW probably is more likelier out the two to carry the can for Kings failings. 

Sarcasm isn't the comprehension of words but the tone in which the words are used. Sarcasm can be difficult to detect in print, especially when someone has been querying what's meant by "at least".

Its also completely inline with with Warburton said earlier this year: 

“How well we close that gap will be about how competitive we are, but Rangers will never go into that league satisfied with being third or fourth.

or any of the times he has spoken about challenging them. If you're in a title challenge, at least up here, it tends to mean you finish "at least" second. It's very rare a title challenger will finish third in Scotland. 

1 hour ago, WATP-FOREVER said:

It is his fault - there would be no subjective criticism if he delivered what he stated. Fairly simple really and applies in the daily lives of everyone - many people see through the bullshit, some others do not.

Not being objective isn't anyone else's fault but the person that isn't being objective. What you're discussing is the debate about how trustworthy DK is. There is more than one view on that, and it can be discussed more objectively or less objectively. It's your opinion that he hasn't delivered, it's not an established fact that can be used to justify being less objective. 

To me the subject tends to be discussed less objectively, and that's nobody's fault but the people discussing it.

You're very certain you're right, but you should always remember that you might not be.

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Warburton is on record as saying: 

“How well we close that gap will be about how competitive we are, but Rangers will never go into that league satisfied with being third or fourth."

It's all about improvement and competitiveness. If we finish second behind them and push them all the way it won't be a big thing. If we're second and thirty points off it will be a disaster. 

Given the the way we were "set back years" by previous management a close second wouldn't be too bad in our first season back. 

Mmm. Yet no great hoo-hah when Warburton says it. 

1 hour ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Very sound.

But you're up against 68% (last time I checked the poll) who think we're going to win the league.

There's a massive disconnect between that level of expectation & how the squad appears to be shaping up.

1 minute ago, Inigo said:

Mmm. Yet no great hoo-hah when Warburton says it. 

Theres quite a lot of things that MW does that others are (or were) berated for. Some which were even labelled as a sackable reason.

Saying we must win the league puts pointless pressure on (and gives papers a lovely quote to wheel outif we struggle) when, there's no reason to do so. I'm sure MW and the players are fully aware that the fans want the title. I'd guess a few of them fancy it themselves. Saying it's what the board expect would just be silly.