“I would say this year, we should at least come second.”

GOAT

3 hours ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Perhaps Dave King doesn't think it's a good idea to spend money we don't have.  We've been operating at a loss for years now.

so how does he ever plan to bridge the gap then, at best our retail deal can bring in 4.8mill a year (thats the best on average we got from JJB, and lets be honest, we took them for a ride with that deal), an extra 3.8mill on the current deal will not bridge the gap financially between us and them

king got in partly on a promise of big money to catch celtic, clint hill is not my idea of bridging the gap

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

I thought we'd be challenging Celtic but Saturday has knocked the stuffing out of me.  That result was embarrassing but the performance from us was really concerning.  We had a march about being back, banners about winning 55, then struggled against the team tipped for relegation.  I think this year is going to be a reality check for most.  If we don't get two players of quality in before the window shuts we wont win this league.

I feel just the same.

Lack of fitness to some & injury to others is a big concern, as well,  especially so early in the season.

We seem a long way from ready.

3 minutes ago, HG5 said:

I feel just the same.

Lack of fitness to some & injury to others is a big concern, as well,  especially so early in the season.

We seem a long way from ready.

We dont seem to have the same intesity as last season and the Signings seem to have Killed Warburtons pacey passing style.

Still early days but i do like a wee early season panic thread.:wink:

8 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

I thought we'd be challenging Celtic but Saturday has knocked the stuffing out of me.  That result was embarrassing but the performance from us was really concerning.  We had a march about being back, banners about winning 55, then struggled against the team tipped for relegation.  I think this year is going to be a reality check for most.  If we don't get two players of quality in before the window shuts we wont win this league.

if we dont get the players of quality needed in before the window shuts then a few questions need answered

1) why after all this time have we still not identified the players required

2) if we have identified the players, why didnt we get them

3) if the answer to 2 is based on fiances, then why did we either not have the finances, or spunk them all on about 6 midfielders when we only use 3 and had 3 good enough ones on the books already

Making his money back through ST's, lining his pockets then abandoning ship.

The damage may not be as bad as previous chairmen but he's just like the rest, lies through his teeth to appease fans and is in it to turn a profit

At least David Murray had the balls to say we're bigger and better than celtc.

10 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

so how does he ever plan to bridge the gap then, at best our retail deal can bring in 4.8mill a year (thats the best on average we got from JJB, and lets be honest, we took them for a ride with that deal), an extra 3.8mill on the current deal will not bridge the gap financially between us and them

king got in partly on a promise of big money to catch celtic, clint hill is not my idea of bridging the gap

Bringing guys like Rossiter in, alongside Clint Hill, who we should be able to sell on at a big profit if he does well. Josh Windass is another. 

19 minutes ago, Gaz52 said:

Making his money back through ST's, lining his pockets then abandoning ship.

The damage may not be as bad as previous chairmen but he's just like the rest, lies through his teeth to appease fans and is in it to turn a profit

At least David Murray had the balls to say we're bigger and better than celtc.

He's making his money back through STs? What's paying for the running of the club if that's what he's doing?

37 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

I thought we'd be challenging Celtic but Saturday has knocked the stuffing out of me.  That result was embarrassing but the performance from us was even more concerning.  We had a march about being back, banners about winning 55, then struggled against the team tipped for relegation.  I think this year is going to be a reality check for most.  If we don't get two players of quality in before the window shuts we wont win this league.

Good post ?

47 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Bringing guys like Rossiter in, alongside Clint Hill, who we should be able to sell on at a big profit if he does well. Josh Windass is another. 

guys to sell on if we do well, finishing runners up in the SPFL isnt doing well, but king says that is acceptable

Let's keep things in perspective.  We may have won the most trophies in the world but we are a newly promoted team with essentially the same squad without the means to go out and spend wads of cash.   However the team that spends the most money won't necessarily be the most successful, building a team and squad that can compete week in and week out is what is required.   At the moment our squad is three or four players short of what is required.   I hope Warburton has a clear picture of what he wants and that we are actively seeking those three or four players in the next couple of  weeks.  

1 hour ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

if we dont get the players of quality needed in before the window shuts then a few questions need answered

1) why after all this time have we still not identified the players required

2) if we have identified the players, why didnt we get them

3) if the answer to 2 is based on fiances, then why did we either not have the finances, or spunk them all on about 6 midfielders when we only use 3 and had 3 good enough ones on the books already

Dont know if this as intended as rhetorical but todays presser kind of answers this.

MW basically admitted that we are struggling to compete with the lure of the money in England.. That is not a slight on DK, its just the reality of where we are. 

MW has made it very clear he wants another Centre half and a striker. He and his team are obviously working very hard to identify people that are good enough and that we can attract. I have every faith that everything is being done on that front, but no Scottish team is going to be able to pay 30k a week style wages especially one that is not in Europe this season. Dodo, Barton, Kranjcar, Rossiter, these are the types of players we are trying to find. Either youngsters that we are going to develop ourselves or players in the twilight of their career looking at one last "shot at glory". Ross McCormack just moved for 12 million ifs

8 hours ago, Gandhi1872 said:

I think everyone is totally overreacting and mis-interpreting what he said here. He is letting it be known that anything less than second should and won't be tolerated. He says we aim to compete with Celtic for the league. He does not say second is good. 

He does not say this year is non-negotiable to win the league because while he may be expect to win or at least try to win, that would be unfair on Warburton considering the budget and players he can target at the moment is not what it used to be. 

Great post- I suspect in the rest of the thread you'll get abuse for it! 

6 hours ago, ianferguson said:

If King said he was looking to come second I'd sympathise with the usual wingers, the fact it's a statement qualified by his two most  important words "AT LEAST " means I don'thave to get my knickers in a twist while he also takes the pressure of Warburton . Warburton  will though be out of a job if 55 is not achieved this season or next, guaranteed. 

This! 

Some folk on here need to step into the real world for a change. 

The expectation that the minimum is to win the league is ludicrous, and only a complete idiot would hold to it given where we've come as a club. Nothing wrong with the clubs values to win, but reality needs to occupy some space in fans' heads for a while.

1 minute ago, theiconicman said:

Some folk on here need to step into the real world for a change. 

The expectation that the minimum is to win the league is ludicrous, and only a complete idiot would hold to it given where we've come as a club. Nothing wrong with the clubs values to win, but reality needs to occupy some space in fans' heads for a while.

This! King never even stated he'd be happy with 2nd, merely that that's the least we should get in the league. Tbh, unless things change I think that's even too high for us. 

I know, I know it's 'no way for a Rangers fan to think' but realism is a real thing, unfortunately. 

I honestly cant stand King, and the apologists just make me cringe. Just because it looks like he is one of the few people not wanting to fuck us over in recent times - doesn't make him a hero or savior in any way.

Whenever I see him speak like this, it just confirms in my mind - he does not understand what we are really all about, not really.

2 minutes ago, bluegecko said:

Not sure what's worse, he believes it or he said it! 

Even if you believe it you don't say it ffs. 

It's not like he's new to the Glasgow goldfish bowl 

Come on tae fuck.

We're a shadow of the side we once were. Half the team wouldn't occupy the bench when we were last in the SPL. The Board and Warburton have done very well to build a team and squad and embed a new ethos, but we need to build over another 2 years before I would say we're likely to be as strong as we can be.

Stating the minimum is to win the league is just asking for a pie-face.

We will be trying our very utmost to win the league this season

We hope to have at least two new players in before the window closes 

A deal with S D is something I am trying my utmost to sort out, I hope to have news about that in the near future

If only .........  

9 minutes ago, theiconicman said:

Come on tae fuck.

We're a shadow of the side we once were. Half the team wouldn't occupy the bench when we were last in the SPL. The Board and Warburton have done very well to build a team and squad and embed a new ethos, but we need to build over another 2 years before I would say we're likely to be as strong as we can be.

Stating the minimum is to win the league is just asking for a pie-face.

No one's asking him to say that.  There was no need for the comment. He knows full well what the media here are like and how they'll twist it. He's meant to be smarter than this.

Former shadow or not 2nd is nothing here and not an acceptable target in the hearts of the fans and club. We all know where we're coming from but you don't say it. NO SURRENDER EVER!