Opening day shit results are nothing new...

MisterC

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In recent memory the only proper flying starts i can remember are last season and when we won the first 10 the year Miller got 20 by December. In my time Rangers have won the league by peaking twice - first at the Christmas period, and then for the run in. 

1 hour ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Reckon we can only drop 9 points this season and win the league, so that's 2 away. 

So you think we need at least 105 points to win the league? I think you overestimate our rivals. If we get low to mid 90s we'll have a good chance of finishing top.

I agree seems to be a bit of a tradition with us to drop points on the opening day, in the same way that the other lot seem to bottle it toward the end. I think the occasion got to the players a bit, o had a feeling it would be a 0-0. We will get better another two boys will come in I reckon and we have depth in numbers and a lot of young lads looking to make their mark.

1 hour ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

The frustration from Saturday was solely that it was the same mistakes we were making last season that cost us the game.

The defence needs sorted sharpish.

Agree most can see the flaws we didn't strengthen in our weakest areas that will cost us in this league. With a few signings we could win it and that's where my frustration is.

11 hours ago, mchammer said:

The worse start I think we had was going out of the league cup to Falkirk? Getting beat in Athens and losing the first league game.

all in the space of ten days.  Then losing to Athens at home.

Went on to win the league by a good margin that season. Just remember the worse start to a season

and I was not impressed by the new guy. Brian Laudrup when we played AEK. Just shows how things can turn around. 

Still say their keeper should have saw red at ibrox. I can't remember what he did just that I was raging :D

11 hours ago, mchammer said:

The worse start I think we had was going out of the league cup to Falkirk? Getting beat in Athens and losing the first league game.

Went on to win the league by a good margin that season. Just remember the worse start to a season

and I was not impressed by the new guy. Brian Laudrup when we played AEK. Just shows how things can turn around. 

The only problem was we had a much better team and they were by far  the best in Scotland at the time. This current team are far from it and the reality is since beating THEM  in the semi final we have actually done  fuck all since and fucked up the first game that really matters since.

3 hours ago, Junior Soprano said:

Was that the year we were beaten by stmirren and hibs in the opening 2 games?

still won the league that year.

I believe it was and panic was widespread - or, so it seemed.  And yes, we did indeed win the league that year and by some margin that others thought we would never achieve.

2 hours ago, kyleh1872 said:

I agree seems to be a bit of a tradition with us to drop points on the opening day, in the same way that the other lot seem to bottle it toward the end. I think the occasion got to the players a bit, o had a feeling it would be a 0-0. We will get better another two boys will come in I reckon and we have depth in numbers and a lot of young lads looking to make their mark.

If that occasion got to them, I fear for them going to that midden in the East End next month.

85-90 points will win the league this year. Penn State FC will start well then falter just when they think they have a commanding lead. 

I don't expect us to hit high gear until at least October. We won't drop that many points up until then but we won't be really consistent either. Important thing is to get a decent result vs Dundee, regardless of performance, grind out a 1-0 if necessary. 

14 hours ago, mchammer said:

Laudrups first 3 games as well.

5 hours ago, Vanoli said:

In recent memory the only proper flying starts i can remember are last season and when we won the first 10 the year Miller got 20 by December. In my time Rangers have won the league by peaking twice - first at the Christmas period, and then for the run in. 

In the tony mowbary season I am sure had we lost the first old firm game we could have been seven points behind them at that point , however we didn't and the rest as they say is history 

I don't go along with this 'we are back' as I think that's a negative and its as if achieving premiership status was our goal. We will never be back until 55 is in the bag and there's a lot of graft for that to happen.

I was gutted not to get the three points but we lost to another wonder goal and to another team who will raise their game beyond their normal levels as they know they're playing us. 

We were down to ten for the last ten otherwise I think we would have scored but we all know sometimes it goes for you and at other times it doesn't. 

The team and us just need to get up and make sure we go on a winning run so we're all in the right place going to the piggery. If we can do this then our season could be set out to be something special.

17 hours ago, MisterC said:

On Saturday I had the horrible feeling that with all the hype,build up etc that things would be anti-climactic and lo and behold look what happened. However, the amount of times over the years we have lost or drawn the opening game of the season and gone on to win the title also goes to show that league's are not won on the opening game of the season. There's been way too much of an over reaction. This team with the new players and coming up to speed will come good and yes I know the defence is suspect but let's not panic and get carried away just because of a draw against one of the smaller teams in the league.Slow starts are nothing new for us, but once we get motoring this league is there for the taking!

I agree with you about the hype, however, I thought the loss to Burnley would give us the wake up call.   I do think we are on our way to bigger and better things if we correct the errors.   

6 hours ago, Jamie0202 said:

So you think we need at least 105 points to win the league? I think you overestimate our rivals. If we get low to mid 90s we'll have a good chance of finishing top.

Nobody has hit the 100 point mark in the last decade. Only four times in the last decade has the winner had more than 90 points and once it was won with 79 points.