Will there be another golden age of Scottish football?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are loads of things that can be done to improve our game dramatically both in terms of producing footballing talent and in terms of marketing/financial benefits.

The problem is that these things take investment, unilateral agreements by the teams and bodies in Scotland, out the box thinking, TIME, etc. etc. Can we honestly see ourselves being willing to do that nevermind getting teams with smaller margins to work within?

Our club has changed tact with signing policy and financial approach but it's the tip of the iceberg if we're serious about long-term improvement of ourselves and the countries footballing setup.

3 hours ago, The Widow's Son said:

I often wonder will there ever be another golden age of Scottish football.  Top European clubs coming to Glasgow to play in top tournaments, the finest Scottish players facing up against the finest continental stars, big crowds.  Perhaps not.  To think that in 1972, Glasgow had two European semi-finals in the same night.  Makes me hungry for the early 1960's when we had a very strong team that could compete with the best of them.  

I hope not. Scotland as both a country and a footballing community deserve absolutely nothing.

The place is a cesspit and the football community is every bit as bad.

All I want is a well-run, sustaintable Rangers that is better than anything else Scotland has to offer. The rest can go to fuck.

A golden age for Rangers? yes please. A golden age for Scotland - no.

Anything good we do is for the benefit of Rangers, not Scotland. We owe it NOTHING.

Also, if Scottish football were to improve then it would have to be away from Sky because most of Scotland already pay their subscriptions to Sky and it doesn't make a difference to our game, if we all cancelled Sky then perhaps it would be different, I don't know the figures but say 3 million with an average sky bill for TV at £50 per month? Would they then take action, by continuing to pay our bills to them they can keep giving Scottish clubs the same money, most of it goes to England anyway

2 hours ago, harlands plater said:

Was Liewell not behind Regan's appointment? Sure there were some links between them exposed a while back.

i think you are right there they both worked together at some p.oint  we just need a whole rethink of our football culture

5 hours ago, The Widow's Son said:

I often wonder will there ever be another golden age of Scottish football.  Top European clubs coming to Glasgow to play in top tournaments, the finest Scottish players facing up against the finest continental stars, big crowds.  Perhaps not.  To think that in 1972, Glasgow had two European semi-finals in the same night.  Makes me hungry for the early 1960's when we had a very strong team that could compete with the best of them.  

No

3 hours ago, corkinator said:

the country has a population of 5 million, no one outside of it gives a shit about our football. this is just a slow death, Scotland will never compete they was it used to up until about 10 years ago. ITS DEAD, leave it be.

What population has Iceland? A country with even less resources available than ours yet still able to not only qualify for Euro 2016 but compete at a high level.

The real issue is technical ability is at an all time low.This  coupled with our failure to embrace the importance of physical professionalism. 

In the modern game the two go hand in hand. Until such time as football in this country can focus on these fundamentals then we will continue to regress I'm afraid.

Take a look at any game played in the spl this weekend and witness players who are incapable of performing even the most basic skills. We treat the ball like a hot tottie and fitness levels are way below that on the continent. Admit it or not, that's down to diet and lifestyle choices because these countries don't breed supermen.

For what it's worth I firmly believe that what Warburton is doing at our club is the correct way to improve the standard. For the game to improve as a whole every club needs to adopt the same philosophy from grass roots to first team.

39 minutes ago, Gazza1212 said:

What population has Iceland? A country with even less resources available than ours yet still able to not only qualify for Euro 2016 but compete at a high level.

The real issue is technical ability is at an all time low.This  coupled with our failure to embrace the importance of physical professionalism. 

In the modern game the two go hand in hand. Until such time as football in this country can focus on these fundamentals then we will continue to regress I'm afraid.

Take a look at any game played in the spl this weekend and witness players who are incapable of performing even the most basic skills. We treat the ball like a hot tottie and fitness levels are way below that on the continent. Admit it or not, that's down to diet and lifestyle choices because these countries don't breed supermen.

For what it's worth I firmly believe that what Warburton is doing at our club is the correct way to improve the standard. For the game to improve as a whole every club needs to adopt the same philosophy from grass roots to first team.

Our league will be of a standard similar to the Icelandic one soon enough. I give no fucks for the Scotland national team.

Not for the foreseeable future. The only possible change that could help Rangers is the possibility that rather than individual countries/leagues having an all encompassing tv deal, that individual clubs would be allowed to do their deals. The way TV is going that is a possibility, but not for years yet.

6 hours ago, ianferguson said:

Financial disparity ensures Scotland has no longer a league of any credibility. This won't ever change unless the old firm either capitalise on the very attractive OLD FIRM games TV potential or are invited into a different league. I won't hold my breath on either so we'll just have to content ourselves with a backwater league . 

Ps  The playstations and x box's have also ensured we'll struggle to produce home grown talent in anything like the numbers of the past. 

combined with our shitty weather 

CL will be a defacto European League, eventually UEFA will cop on and set up a couple of more 'divisions' to accommodate the old firm, Portugal, Holland, Belgium and the Scandinavians. The days of domestic competition are numbered. UEFA have already planned this for international teams in 2018.

17 hours ago, Bad Robot said:

I can see it getting worse with the Chinese buying themselves into the CL within the next decade 

Football would be fucked mate. 

See with this possibility of making the CL a 'closed competition', wouldn't that be good in the sense we could form a European competition of our own with the likes of the Dutch league etc?