Former Sky Sports News Presenter Charlie Webster On Life Support - Fighting For Her Life In Hospital After Contracting Rare Form of Malaria in Brazil

Charlie-Webster.jpg

'She is battling to stay alive': Team GB sports presenter Charlie Webster is in a coma in a Rio hospital after being struck down with a rare form of malaria

Charlie Webster fighting for her life in hospital after contracting malaria

TV presenter is reportedly in a coma and on life support in Rio de Janeiro

The 33-year-old is in Rio to cover the Olympics as Team GB ambassador

Her family, including her mother and brother, have flown to her bedside

TV presenter Charlie Webster is fighting for her life in a Brazilian hospital after being struck down by a rare strain of malaria on her way to the Olympic Games.

The 33-year-old former Sky Sports News anchor is reportedly in a coma and on a life support machine in Rio de Janeiro.

She began feeling unwell while attending the opening ceremony but put it down to dehydration - even tweeting pictures of herself from a hospital bed 10 days ago.

But her condition has since deteriorated, according to The Sun. 

The build-up to the Rio Olympics was overshadowed by concerns about the Zika outbreak, but it is the better known mosquito-borne virus which Webster has contracted.

A friend of hers told the newspaper: 'Charlie is battling for survival at the moment – everyone is distraught.

'But she is so strong and a very fit and healthy person in general so we have to keep positive.

'The doctors have now identified the very rare malaria strain she has contracted so she is receiving the right treatment in Rio.'

Webster's family, including her mother and brother, have flown to be at her bedside.

She was one of Team GB's official presenters at the Olympics and was working alongside fellow ambassadors for a number of different broadcasters.

The TV presenter is being treated in the intensive care unit at a hospital in Copacabana.

The imposing private hospital is the clinic if choice for Brazil's rich and famous.

Hospital staff declined to discuss Webster's condition when approached by MailOnline last night. 

She arrived in Rio on August 4 and the following night attended the opening ceremony at the Maracanã Stadium.

But she is said to have felt unwell during the event and began vomiting. Webster initially put it down to dehydration and felt well enough to post pictures from hospital on social media.

She tweeted: 'Very rough day, severe dehydration & infection - 2 drips & antibiotics #Rio.'

Later Webster added: 'I'm getting there...awful few days with serious infection #Rio'. 

Last December Webster split amicably from her actor boyfriend of one year Allen Leech, who played Tom Branson in Downton Abbey, with the pair wanting to focus on their respective careers.

Webster was part of a team who cycled 3,000 miles from the UK to Rio over a six-week period to raise money for a cancer charity, the Jane Tomlinson Appeal. 

Her journey began in London and took her through France, Spain and Portugal. She then flew to the north of Brazil before cycling down the country to Rio. 

A friend said Webster checked the medical risks and was told she did not need to take anti-malaria drugs because of where she was travelling.

Fears had been raised ahead of the Olympics about the Zika outbreak, leading to a number of high-profile sports stars including golfer Rory McIlroy choosing to opt out of the Games.

The mosquito-borne virus has been linked to severe birth defects and possible neurological problems in adults.

World Health Organisation guidance states that the risk of malaria transmission is 'negligible or non-existent' except in the Amazon region, also encompassing the Northern states of Brazil. 

This includes the city of Manaus which is hosting some of the Olympic football matches.

1 minute ago, Gaz52 said:

It's always sadder when they're good looking

Good luck Charlie 

I always laugh at those social media posts when someone dies saying they were stunning or beautiful but when when a fat ugly one dies its just a R.I.P

29 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

I always laugh at those social media posts when someone dies saying they were stunning or beautiful but when when a fat ugly one dies its just a R.I.P

Nobody is ever a cunt when they die. Even Saddam had well wishers. If it people could say what they really thought. 

8 hours ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

If this was one of the high profile athletes it would be all over the news.

Sounds pretty grim. 

Almost as if a person's perceived fame or importance is related to the amount of attention they receive from the press eh..... 

10 hours ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Nobody is ever a cunt when they die. Even Saddam had well wishers. If it people could say what they really thought. 

Say what you want about Saddam but he would have flattened IS with a single swift of his fat pinky

img_saddam_hussein_issue24.gif

Good to hear she's getting a bit better 

I'm gonna e-mail her and say I was there for her whilst she was in her coma, didn't leave her side, washed her etc. 

She's actually unbelievable in that picture in the OP. I'd declare my love to her, fart then run away

11 hours ago, Cammy. Watp. said:

why would you think a thread title that long is OK? It's not OK it's stupid looking. i just hope admin can sort this mess out

Agreed. It takes away all the suspense before you open the thread.