Realistically who would you have as Rangers manager?

Jamie0202

2 hours ago, loyalfollower said:

Frank mcparland came with a reputation of unearthing younger talent and then selling them on. 

Hes been here 2 transfer windows  and the players still need time to develop, unless you expect us to sign the next messi.

So who have we signed that's an unearthed gem and can sell on?in fact when was the last time sold anyone instead of giving them free transfers?

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, geneva_ger said:

Again, and only devils advocate

Would Barry Ferguson feature any time?

Do we stick with the plan or do we need the grunts back to toughen us up, or even support MW

If he proves himself as a good manager at a good level then aye, until he does that his name shouldn't be brought up

2 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

So who have we signed that's an unearthed gem and can sell on?in fact when was the last time sold anyone instead of giving them free transfers?

Potentially Windass and Rossiter but out of however many we've signed it's not a great return. Both were already known tho so wouldn't call them unearthed gems.

2 minutes ago, Max1872 said:

Potentially Windass and Rossiter but out of however many we've signed it's not a great return. Both were already known tho so wouldn't call them unearthed gems.

Rossiter will amount to fuck-all IMO 

windass id actually build a team round him unlike they 2 wastes of space Holt and Halliday do that and maybe yup 

Realistically I'd like Mark Warburton, version 2.0.

We've seen a Rangers team coached by him play the best football since Advocaat and he's clearly changing the ethos of thump it the park and win knock downs as our style of play. In the modern world if football that had to happen.

What we've also seen is some strange decisions with signings and a reluctance to change style throughout a game. If plan A isn't working, plan B shouldn't be to do plan A better, which seems to be a barrier for him.

If he can change those things then he's got a real chance of winning and winning in style. Personally think he'll be off at the end of the season anyway (the signings of Barton, Senderos and Niko appear to be a philosophy of 'I've got one shot and I'm going with experience to try and get it') but I'd genuinely like to see him succeed and stay long term. Don't really see it happening though.

28 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

windass id actually build a team round him unlike they 2 wastes of space Holt and Halliday do that and maybe yup 

Too early to tell one way or another on Rossiter but I like the look of him. Agree on Windass. I think Halliday's good enough to be a mainstay in the team albeit further forward, Holt as much as I like him squad player at best.

The man inherited a shambles, a complete and utter farce of a situation where almost the entire squad had to be replaced and the culture of the club completely transformed.  This had to be done with very little budget and very quickly.

So what has he achieved?

It is my belief he has addressed the culture issues and did evolve the squad.  

He imo he has conducted himself in a manner fitting of a Rangers Manager, with class and a sense of pride, I for the first time in years felt a sense of pride watching and listening to the man and thinking...he is the Rangers Manager.

He hasn't lost a single league game at home since taking over at Rangers.

Promotion was won and at times we played fantastic football - it was in the early part of his tenure finally an absolute joy to watch us again.

Defeated the smug beast at hamden in a day I do not think any of us will ever forget - he also addressed the petrofac cup issue (hardly an achievement to be fair however our failure to win it had made it an issue)

He has lost by my reckoning lost 10 games in his tenure - considering the above points around what he walked into and add to that deal with a promotion is that such a bad record? - Thats debatable however keep in mind 3 of those games are twice to Celtic and once away to Aberdeen (robbed).  These are always going to be tough games.

Following promotion he has lost 2 games from an opening 11,  both of these games our two toughest fixtures of the year.

For me the list of what I consider positives could grow.

Where has it went wrong?

The cup final, we did not show up and as much as the semi final will live in the memory for the right reasons I don't think many of us will ever make peace with that fucking day, it has also been followed up with a few big day capitulations, there is a question mark there.  

Signings; there seems to be a feeling emerging now he has signed nothing but dross, I don't agree I think that he has signed some good players and potential of a standard good enough to take 2nd this year and develop into better players, where it did go wrong is where he tried to sign proven quality and due to the budget he has been given had to take risks - it would be fair to say that Barton will be remembered as one of the worst in our History and Niko many predicted would break down.  

Formation; as a defender of Warburton I am finding it increasingly difficult to defend the lack of flexibility, it seems to me that he wants to play a system that our players lack the quality and/or experience to execute, to bring balance to that , when it works its great however when its not working its frustrating beyond belief and has potentially added to several draws that should have been wins this year and in all honesty were horrible performances.  Draws that are the only reason this thread exists it should be said.

I never really intended to post this long, I think I am laying out my own perspective for my own benefit more than anyone else (I doubt anyone has read this far to be honest).  Having now presented the story (some of) so far in my mind I am in the same place in understanding why many of our support are frustrated however I continue to believe the risk of allowing him more time (and supporting him) is less of a risk of replacing him now.  It is notable how few suggestions there are on this thread when the ask is to suggest an alternative Manager.  There are clear concerns but can anyone now say with certainty he is the wrong man or could we look towards what he has done well and afford him some allowance on the extraordinary circumstances he has faced, allow him some mistakes and lets see if he can turn it around?

Each supporter will make their own mind up, I have this nagging feeling that we will go backwards if we replace him, potentially in so many ways and before long the question will be whether we could have gave him a little more time.  To close this off, in the last 5 league games we are 2nd only to team offended for form - we have lost 0 games, scored 8 and conceded only twice - this is improvement and if 1 or 2 players started taking some responsibility we wouldn't have the 2 draws (from that last 5) and I think all feeling a whole lot happier.

2 hours ago, K.A.I said:

You seem to be a bit slow, but let me try and catch you up. Halliday and Holt, who ran rings round a near identical fenian midfield not too long ago, should be our spine. For some reason the leadership felt that recruiting big names on high wages would startle celtic - unable to foresee that they would deploy their warchest at the first sight of trouble - in Rodgers, Sinclair and Dembele..

We can beat the paedos this season, but it will take a revolutionary change of thinking in the managers part. If not, bid farewell and recruit a proper Rangers man to guide us through the storm and prevent ten in a row which shouldn't even be on the cards.

10 minutes ago, yermaw145 said:

You seem to be a bit slow, but let me try and catch you up. Halliday and Holt, who ran rings round a near identical fenian midfield not too long ago, should be our spine. For some reason the leadership felt that recruiting big names on high wages would startle celtic - unable to foresee that they would deploy their warchest at the first sight of trouble - in Rodgers, Sinclair and Dembele..

We can beat the paedos this season, but it will take a revolutionary change of thinking in the managers part. If not, bid farewell and recruit a proper Rangers man to guide us through the storm and prevent ten in a row which shouldn't even be on the cards.

I'm a bit slowing coming from a scruffy cunt that says Holt and Halliday should be the spine of our team? Forgive me for pishing myself laughing 

Ross County midfield ran rings round Celtic the other week that mean we should build a team round their midfielders too aye ?

4 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Holt and Halliday should be the spine of our team

I do concur with KAI at this @yermaw comment. Sorry Maw but it was a one-off. These guys are tradesmen and I won't put them down but they are so limited. We should be building for European football next term. I cannot slag down MW either and believe that he honestly (me too) thought Rossiter, Windass and Crooks would develop towards this end. I still hope that's the case. Sadly most of the others will not make that grade.

Holt and Halliday ... It's not enough to just say they are "one of us"

3 hours ago, Max1872 said:

Windass runs fast and runs in people he shirks a tackle and looks half the player his dad was Rossiter I've not seen him enough to judge him. Windass struggled badly against the filth to the point of not knowing if he was on the park

We have too many of that type of player now who look decent against lesser opposition.

5 minutes ago, geneva_ger said:

I do concur with KAI at this @yermaw comment. Sorry Maw but it was a one-off. These guys are tradesmen and I won't put them down but they are so limited. We should be building for European football next term. I cannot slag down MW either and believe that he honestly (me too) thought Rossiter, Windass and Crooks would develop towards this end. I still hope that's the case. Sadly most of the others will not make that grade.

Holt and Halliday ... It's not enough to just say they are "one of us"

Holt isn't even one of us he's a Jambo

not that that's the issue - it's not realistic to have 11 good quality blue noses playing for you but in the top flight he looks the Sheff United squad player and Hearts reject - that sounds harsh he's not as bad as that sounds but he's not the calibre we need 

1 hour ago, yermaw145 said:

Basically your saying we should build a team round Holt and Halliday? 

God help us if that ever happens....

In my humble opinion there are a lot of people who need a reality check. We are not in a position financially to compete yet. We have struggled through the divisions to get back here but it will be a few years before we are really happy with the team and the management.

How people can turn their opinions round so quickly amazes me. The man who got us through the final hurdle and was considered a god is now not good enough for the job.

Please people, just relax and support the team. I'm old enough to have seen many a poor Rangers team struggling to compete. We will get back to our best eventually but it's not now and there's no point turning on the manager.

2 hours ago, IanFerguson2013 said:

In my humble opinion there are a lot of people who need a reality check. We are not in a position financially to compete yet. We have struggled through the divisions to get back here but it will be a few years before we are really happy with the team and the management.

How people can turn their opinions round so quickly amazes me. The man who got us through the final hurdle and was considered a god is now not good enough for the job.

Please people, just relax and support the team. I'm old enough to have seen many a poor Rangers team struggling to compete. We will get back to our best eventually but it's not now and there's no point turning on the manager.

Dont be surprised next week, after Scotland fire him if you have some on here suggesting WGC for the Scotland manager.

3 hours ago, IanFerguson2013 said:

I've been drinking so this might not be a good idea,but here goes

We didn't struggle through the divisions. We romped the first two and should have came through the championship at the first attempt.

I applaud MW for getting us back to the top league, but he only did what he was expected to do and what should have been done a season earlier.

I am disappointed that the Barton situation wasn't handled better, but all Barton had to do was apologise, so I support MW 100% in that respect. However where I struggle to support him is in his intransigence in sticking with a formation/style of football that just isn't working.

Perhaps MW wasn't happy with the funds made available to him in the Summer,well I wasn't happy that I didn't always get what I wanted for Christmas. But I certainly made the best of what I did get. However I'm not convinced that MW is making the best of what he currently has.

He's been unlucky that two of our most promising signings will play no further part in this campaign, but he still has resources better than any other team in Scotland bar one.

Whilst I hoped we could win the league this year, I didn't really think it was on. But I thought we could give them a bit of a challenge. However apart from getting thumped by them we have dropped 13 points to other (lesser?) teams.

There are 27 points up for grabs before we can strengthen the team. If we continue to drop points at the current rate then 15 of those 27 points will be lost. 

We can moan about lack of investment, we can say we need a reality check, but the only person who can get us those 27 points is MW and he's not going to do it with his 4 fucking 3 fucking 3 formation.

Smiled at Barton's twitter comment about the England manager........"Regardless of the result, Southgate shouldn't be England manager. Lovely guy. But not experienced enough. Got to get an elite level coach."

I suppose he could also have been talking about another manager eh? 

That's the thing now with the Barton 'issue' - the acrimony of its origin and then evolution by the way it was handled by the Club will lead for a while to comments by Barton on one subject being used as convenient 'cover' for comments relating to the Ibrox issue.    If not that, then it leaves a very neat door open for journos to follow that sort of twitter comment up with a question - couched in general terms and not directly related to the 'issue' - about management at Rangers. 

16 minutes ago, Reformation Bear said:

Smiled at Barton's twitter comment about the England manager........"Regardless of the result, Southgate shouldn't be England manager. Lovely guy. But not experienced enough. Got to get an elite level coach."

I suppose he could also have been talking about another manager eh? 

That's the thing now with the Barton 'issue' - the acrimony of its origin and then evolution by the way it was handled by the Club will lead for a while to comments by Barton on one subject being used as convenient 'cover' for comments relating to the Ibrox issue.    If not that, then it leaves a very neat door open for journos to follow that sort of twitter comment up with a question - couched in general terms and not directly related to the 'issue' - about management at Rangers. 

(tu)

I can foresee a shit-load of subliminal digs coming our way from Barton and his twitter/media followers.

Pretty quiet just now but can't see it staying that way for long.

We need someone who was successful as a player, knows Scottish football, has international experience, managed at the top level, and in different countries, and is able to build a team of his own style of players and stick with it.

Also need to be someone who is likely to be available soon to start the rebuild quickly.

How about Gordon Strac.................