Realistically who would you have as Rangers manager?

Jamie0202

2 hours ago, B1872 said:

Bottom line is the tims have upped their game by bringing in the tranny shagger and backing him and we need to do it as well. So if we do get a new manager it needs to be a step up! 

Rodgers is a mediocre manager who's been made to look good by Suarez and now by a significantly bigger backing from his board compared to any other club in the league.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, gersandy said:

Warburton was outside the box. We need someone who knows the scottish game, whos has reasonable success aswell. McInnes is the only one for me.

If we were going to go for someone from another team in this league I'd rather go for Tommy Wright. 

22 minutes ago, Jelavic191 said:

If we were going to go for someone from another team in this league I'd rather go for Tommy Wright. 

See if it was me and I had to pick one of them it would be Neilson & Levein.

I think they've done an incredible job at Hearts and as an outsider looking in I think it's mental that so many of them seem to dislike Neilson.

9 minutes ago, Jelavic191 said:

I was thinking this 2 weeks ago watching the ST Johnstone game. Almost mentioned him in the OP. Another gamble though and not sure if he would be good enough to take us to 1st place which is where we need to be.

Kenny Miller player manager.

In all honesty hes here until he finishes his 3 year contract then he's away.

And I'm happy to let him do that. He speaks of a 3 year plan, if he's as intelligent as I think he is then his plan might just be going the way he thought it would.

Promotion - Second - winners

2 hours ago, Jamie0202 said:

I was thinking this 2 weeks ago watching the ST Johnstone game. Almost mentioned him in the OP. Another gamble though and not sure if he would be good enough to take us to 1st place which is where we need to be.

It would definitely be a gamble but I think he'd have us well organized, hard to beat and allow the players who have a bit of flair to utilize it rather than stick to a rigid playing system. kinda similar to Walter - particularly during his second spell. 

2 hours ago, DBBTB said:

I think they've done an incredible job at Hearts and as an outsider looking in I think it's mental that so many of them seem to dislike Neilson.

I probably wouldn't be disappointed with them either, realistically given our current spending/budget, again they'd probably be similar to what I said about about Tommy Wright but they do seem to have contacts on the continent as they always seem to have a couple of signings from unknown places. 

3 hours ago, DBBTB said:

Craig Levein? 

12 hours ago, Jamie0202 said:

Apologies to the few who thinks this thread is disrespectful to Mark Warburton while he's still in the job but if we're going to have threads questioning whether he should be sacked then surely we must have an opinion on who should be next manager?

There's quite a few Warburton threads on the first page of The Bears' Den. This thread isn't to discuss Mark Warburton or the management team and their respective weaknesses. This thread is purely to discuss who would be the best replacement.

A few names spring to mind but not one clear and obvious candidate. McLeish and McInnes would be favourites as would de Boer (purely because he's played for us before and is immediately available). McLeish I would reluctantly take and that says a lot because I remember the protests after one of the league games outside Ibrox calling for his head when we languished in third position behind Hearts. McInnes would be a gamble as he's done okay with Aberdeen (and again is an ex-Ranger - something common with a lot of names which would be in the running). McInnes is on a par with McCall IMO - managed a team to being the best of the rest. How many would take McCall back? Walter's name will obviously be mentioned. He would be my first choice but he's served us incredibly well and has earned the right to retire in peace so we need to leave that one be. A few more names will be up there:-

Billy Davis - Done fuck all to merit the Rangers manager's job and not sure why his name keeps getting brought up every time we need a new manager.

Souness - Would kick some arses but not managed in 10 years and hasn't won a league as a manager since he left us.

There's obvious names I've missed but none who stand out. To sum up if I'm being realistic it would be Alex McLeish.

Thoughts?

Joey Barton

26 minutes ago, Jelavic191 said:

It wouldn't be the person I'd choose if I was in charge was just saying if we were taking another manager from the Premiership I'd probably go for him over McInnes etc. 

If we sack warburton and end up with one of these managers a won't be happy mate.

Levein and Neilson? Might be pedantic but aren't we above them in the league? Also what have they done of note ffs? A 3rd place finish after a year in the championship? Is that what is deemed success:lol:

Tommy Wright ffs:lol: Ach well, going down that route and you only allow Scottish football to continually die a slow death. 

Cellic seem to be able to play attacking football domestically so why can't we? Can't really buy anything in the transfer market with buttons can you. 

5 hours ago, MayboleLoyal_atb said:

Craig Levein? 

I don't particularly like Levein, that's why I said if I had to take somebody from the SPFL it would be them. He's the DOF and Neilson is the head coach so if you took one I think you would need to take the other because they obviously work pretty closely together.

16 hours ago, ben51 said:

There's only one Manager who is out of a job who was in contention the last time we were in the market. Karl Robinson. 

I'm certainly not suggesting him, but just pointing it out. 

So is the Portuguese bloke Perreira and Cathro isn't a manager yet either. All completely pointless though becaudr the board won't be replacing Warburton any time soon unless he walks himself. Big couple of months coming up. 

10 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Levein and Neilson? Might be pedantic but aren't we above them in the league? Also what have they done of note ffs? A 3rd place finish after a year in the championship? Is that what is deemed success:lol:

What exactly had McLeish done of note that was deemed a success when he was given our job in 2002?

Sometimes it's more than just a case of "show me your medals" sometimes seeing that a manager has been able to work within his budget and managed to get the most out of what they have shows that if you give them a bigger platform then they can move up a level and achieve more (in theory obviously).

Hearts destroyed us in the Championship title race and immediately consolidated themselves at the top end of the SPFL when they came back up. Youth players are developing under them and they've made some excellent signings in the past few years for absolutely pennies in Ozturk, Djoum, Kitchen, Souttar, Sow, Watt.

Ultimately I think we need somebody with more experience who is proven right now but every manager has to start somewhere and serve their apprenticeship before they earn the right to get better jobs and I think the job Neilson has done there with what is available to him means he is somebody worth keeping an eye on.

Aye lets give compensation to Hearts or St Johnstone who are are below us for their managers! Or Aberdeen who are a point above us. I know what how about D Utd's manager they are flying in the championship.

FFS

Let us wait until the end of the season. We have a team of players the majority of who have not played in the SPL before.

Yes we have the 2nd largest budget but that is because people forget about the old firm inflation. Players and agents expect more money for coming here.

12 hours ago, Bydo said:

Sadly, this is a completely useless thread as we don't have the cash to 

(a) attract a Rodgers type

(b) buy players good enough to stop them 

(c) give Warburton to let him do it.

The thread might as well be called 'Realistically, do you expect King to give us the money he promised?'

And thank fuck for that.