Realistically who would you have as Rangers manager?

Jamie0202

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Broxi said:

People keep acting as if the only managers that exist in the world are McInnes and McLeish or the likes of those. When we appointed our last manager the two front runners were Warburton and Vitor Pereira. It could be anybody. Doesn't need to be someone from Scotland or someone who's managed us before. 

Like many things on RM many posters view the way forward through their rear view mirror.   The minimum MW must get is the end of this season at which point it is time to evaluate our league position, how we did in the cup and the football being played.  After what we have been through over the past 4 years I'd have expected a bit more patience, too many 'fans' on here act and sound like petulant wee schoolboys.

7 hours ago, Prso's headband said:

There's plenty, Neilson, Wright and McInnes have all been mentioned and have all yet to do anything of note which would deem them worthy of even being considered for the Rangers job. All play a similar style of ugly football and McInnes especially clearly doesn't have the mentality to handle pressure at Aberdeen, never mind Rangers. 

I agree, yes investment is needed but I'd trust MW over any of they 3 with a budget. Yes MW does have his flaws but they outweigh the apparent advantages of they 3. 

What are they 3 that outwiegh all his failings?

2 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Like many things on RM many posters view the way forward through their rear view mirror.   The minimum MW must get is the end of this season at which point it is time to evaluate our league position, how we did in the cup and the football being played.  After what we have been through over the past 4 years I'd have expected a bit more patience, too many 'fans' on here act and sound like petulant wee schoolboys.

Agree with this mate, I said on here on another thread today that the ONLY reason we were shouting about going for the league was because we were all taken in by kings lies about spending all this dough to get us to the top . Say he was honest and says something like we have had a rough 4 years and we can't go blowing money on gambles we need to spend wisely and get to a European place and then try and spend wisely and try to get the league the next year then maybe MW could get on with his job. I'm honestly gutted for Mark Warburton and really hope he can turn it around as I'm convinced he will make us a good team again. I can't stand the thought of a mcinnes or Mcleish when we have a really decent manager who is trying to build something from the youth right up. Here's hoping he gets the time and money  to get us challenging again 

47 minutes ago, bluewhitevanman said:

Agree with this mate, I said on here on another thread today that the ONLY reason we were shouting about going for the league was because we were all taken in by kings lies about spending all this dough to get us to the top . Say he was honest and says something like we have had a rough 4 years and we can't go blowing money on gambles we need to spend wisely and get to a European place and then try and spend wisely and try to get the league the next year then maybe MW could get on with his job. I'm honestly gutted for Mark Warburton and really hope he can turn it around as I'm convinced he will make us a good team again. I can't stand the thought of a mcinnes or Mcleish when we have a really decent manager who is trying to build something from the youth right up. Here's hoping he gets the time and money  to get us challenging again 

He's a number 2 to br that's probably his position. 

Leave the new manager rhetoric and lack of money out of the equation and we can only then deal with what we have.

Players not good enough to play in MW style, which I still believe is the way forward.

MW reluctant to style his set-up to the tools he has in his box.

That's only going to give us occasional success which we are witnessing today.

Only way I see MW avoiding a collision is for him to change his set-up to relieve some of the pressure and if and when DK decides there is money to spend on better quality, the management team can be discussed then.

13 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

This - especially in the context of living within our means and building for the long term. We need some patience or we will become on of those clubs who flounder because they change manager every bad patch which achieves nothing 

48 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

This - especially in the context of living within our means and building for the long term. We need some patience or we will become on of those clubs who flounder because they change manager every bad patch which achieves nothing 

Yeah warburton is building for the long term!, senderos ,hill ,kranjcar ,Miller gilks ,Barton ,there's 6 long term appointments taking roughly 100grand a week out the club,that's your idea of living within our means!,warburtons bad patch has lasted months, and his failure to change his system ( which doesn't work) is the most stubborn thing I've seen from any Rangers manager in 40 years of watching Rangers

For me its not just to do with budget and so on , its warburtons whole philosophy and his reluctance to change it after months of it clearly not working , his subs on sunday were woefull and he dosent look like he knows how to change a game . nice guy but for me looks completely out of his depth . we need a manager who is adaptable and not afraid to change failing sytsems and formations 

1 hour ago, Bluepeter9 said:

I am all for patience , but the manager has been making the same mistakes time and time again for at least 6 months now , I would be far more patient if we were showing promising signs but its not happening very often and our play is dismal . as far as I am concerned the manager needs to change his approach or we will be changing manger sooner or later 

There's no other manager we can bring in at this point of the season who's going to radically change anything with Warburton's squad. 

The suggestions are laughable, knee-jerk reactions get you nowhere. 

Celtic have won the league, people need to accept that, we're going for second place under Warburton and we'd be going for second place under anyone else...

One of the major problems that no-one seems to want to address is good players are failing big time on the pitch, Lee Wallace, Waghorn, McKay, Windass are all talented footballers but couldn't kick their own arse right now. They're all good enough to play in this league so I won't buy the excuse that they're not. Does it surprise anyone that confidence is low when we're suspending one of our best players - would probably be the best centre-mid in the league if playing to his full potential - and then sending him to train with the u20s whilst Halliday is getting bullied off Ross County midfielders?

I'm not having a pop at Halliday as I like him, just not as a holding midfielder, he's not brave enough to take the ball of the defenders, Barton would be.

Garner, Miller & Tav all had good chances to bury the game on Sunday as well. 

All the moaning earlier this season was about the defence and that's more than been sorted out yet MW gets fuck-all credit for it.

Too many 'big' players are going missing when we need them to stand up and be counted, you can see MW from the sideline demanding people be brave and take the ball, the guy is a good coach and we're not going to get anyone else who will improve us.

The bottom line is we need to be patient, whether it's MW or another manager, this is going to take time, there are no quick fixes, especially when you have owners unwilling to pump any real money into the playing squad 

1 minute ago, Gaz52 said:

There's no other manager we can bring in at this point of the season who's going to radically change anything with Warburton's squad. 

Celtic have won the league, people need to accept that, we're going for second place under Warburton and we'd be going for second place under anyone else...

One of the major problems that no-one seems to want to address is good players are failing big time on the pitch, Lee Wallace, Waghorn, McKay, Windass are all talented footballers but couldn't kick their own arse right now. They're all good enough to play in this league so I won't buy the excuse that they're not. Does it surprise anyone that confidence is low when we're suspending one of our best players - would probably be the best centre-mid in the league if playing to his full potential - and then sending him to train with the u20s whilst Halliday is getting bullied off Ross County midfielders?

I'm not having a pop at Halliday as I like him, just not as a holding midfielder, he's not brave enough to take the ball of the defenders, Barton would be.

All the moaning earlier this season was about the defence and that's more than been sorted out yet MW gets fuck-all credit for it.

Too many 'big' players are going missing when we need them to stand up and be counted, you can see MW from the sideline demanding people be brave and take the ball, the guy is a good coach and we're not going to get anyone else who will improve us.

The bottom line is we need to be patient, whether it's MW or another manager, this is going to take time, there are no quick fixes, especially when you have owners unwilling to pump any real money into the playing squad 

The defence has not really been sorted imo , we lost the same goal on Sunday we have been losing for 18 months under Warburton, gifted st Johnstone a goal at ibrox the other week etc etc 

Most issues you highlight such as barton and poor playing from certain players, its up to the manager to sort that out and so far he is failing miserably . right now warburtons biggest flaw is his stubborness and that is not really the players fault , they are being sent out to play the same formation week in week out and the opposition have it sussed .not to mention the fact we were bullied by ross county on sunday , emberassing .either warburton changes or we will eventually , its up to him.

4 minutes ago, Gaz52 said:

I agree with all this PQ. Players are largely culpable.  However....

There appears to be a malaise within the playing squad. Too often it's one or two players performing rather than off the boil. Too often there's no reaction to dropped points, the next game it's more of the same. Too often subs appear disinterested and make no impact.

To me there's an underlying problem there we don't yet know about. It's not a happy camp. Yes a few goals would get points and take pressure off but would it resolve the problem.

I still believe in MW, I think he's a good coach and a good man, but if he's causing unrest within the squad or unable to address whatever is going on he'll be gone. Cheaper to replace him than the squad.

Hope I'm wrong but I just can't see how we can get to November and have such poor form across the board (can anyone name any player deserving of a poty type award so far?) unless there's a bigger morale undermining issue.

He gets until I can't see us getting second. If we get second, take stock in the summer.

17 minutes ago, cr3_bear said:

The defence has not really been sorted imo , we lost the same goal on Sunday we have been losing for 18 months under Warburton, gifted st Johnstone a goal at ibrox the other week etc etc 

We have lost 13 league goals 5 of which came against the bheasts in an awful performance. So 8 goals in 11 other games. We're ranked 3rd in league and 3rd defensively.

Sunday's goal loss was poor from our perspective but well worked so credit has to go to RC.

We have undoubtedly improved defensively. We're not brilliant but we're not the shambles we were.

A bit of recognition of the facts wouldn't go amiss.

12 minutes ago, SpidermansGaffer said:

Ian Holloway isn't doing anything right now, occasional Sky pundit. 

He took a bang average Blackpool side into the EPL & had them very well organised, playing high tempo attacking football. Very unlucky to go straight back down.

Has exactly the same issues as Warburton, can't defend and believes in getting the ball on the deck and playing football. 

If we had not dropped points in these games that some say is "unacceptable",we would be right up there with scum.That in itself would have been massive over achievement on a budget basis, versus what they spend. It wasn't going to happen. How do fans say we have gone backwards?  We weren't in this SPL  last year and we still have a poor spend or squad value in comparison to our last stint 5 years. ago. All the demands because we are Rangers?  Not just yet guys. You cannot snap your fingers and build a business up again from where we were. Not in a backwater league with no real money. Would you believe that millionaires are not clambering to put all their money into Rangers in an SPL ?  Yes I can believe it.

Outspending other teams like Aberdeen only comes into it's own when you outspend them to the tune that the scum have done. Our spending versus theirs is pretty meaningless as it takes no account of the experience in their squads. That is basically SPL experience............of which we have months. MW needs more time and experience.