Jump to content

Stop with this "are we celebrating 2nd" shit


GTMLivo

Recommended Posts

Yes currently I'm celebrating that we're sitting 2nd... why? because a couple years ago we didn't even know if we'd have a club anymore.
Then we watched our team go through hell and back with some shite players, management and owners.

2nd isn't ideal but it gets us European football and that's what we need to attract players it means more money better revenue streams and thats all good things.
it wont be long until we are 1st again but right now yes I'm happy about 2nd.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree with the main gist of your post but no need for a thread of its own. Will just attract those with no shame to lurk and wank themselves off at the ensuing arguments. But I disagree with happy at second place. That will never be how we feel. Your happy with a few good wins and putting upstart outfits in their place. Nothing more.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not celebrating second... but I am celebrating what seems is a good run of form.  This season is fucked.... and what I am looking for is to build on where we are right now in order challenge the filth next year.  But we need to see some meaningful money put up -- yes in January to ensure European football. but the test is the summer transfer market.

That said... given where we have come from, this is the only season -- ever -- that finishing second can be argued is 'ok'  Not The Rangers way mind... but... we have gone thru quite extraordinary times. (tu)

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Badger said:

Any fan that thought finishing 2nd wasn't good enough this season were deluding themselves.

Finishing a comfortable 2nd is a good result this year.

It isn't a drop in standards, just reality. Next season I expect a credible challenge.

Tbh i felt the "going for 55" a bit ott given how our form dipped dramatically at the end of last season and that malaise seemed to have continued into the start of this one....had our form been better we could have been closer but overall im happy so far and if second place and Europe can be achieved ..that will do for starters. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Any fan that thought finishing 2nd wasn't good enough this season were deluding themselves.

Finishing a comfortable 2nd is a good result this year.

It isn't a drop in standards, just reality. Next season I expect a credible challenge.

Agree with this but doesn't mean we have to celebrate it either since that's what the argument seems to be about

Being 2nd is more a case of job done than anything else and a stepping stone for next season

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, delamonty said:

Not celebrating second... but I am celebrating what seems is a good run of form.  This season is fucked.... and what I am looking for is to build on where we are right now in order challenge the filth next year.  But we need to see some meaningful money put up -- yes in January to ensure European football. but the test is the summer transfer market.

That said... given where we have come from, this is the only season -- ever -- that finishing second can be argued is 'ok'  Not The Rangers way mind... but... we have gone thru quite extraordinary times. (tu)

With a Scottish Cup still to play for and collapses of 8 points not unknown it's a bit defeatist to say this season is fucked / I know the league is a long shot but the cup adds interest and as we are rebuilding this season is important for us in upping our game and moving on. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are where we are, some of us are old enough to remember finishing fourth in leagues. 

However it's never acceptable to enter a season expecting to be second, that's not Rangers never will be 

next season with investment ( enough but not silly spending) we should be able to be challenging 

Link to post
Share on other sites

never expected any more than 2nd this season. the journey back up was always going to impact this season. we needed this one to re establish in the top flight most of our players had no idea what to expect and no matter how often you tell a player he only really learns from experience at any level. no am not happy at 2nd place but can accept that's where we are

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, MasterD said:

It is what it is but celebrating it? Fuck sake :power_of_anguish:

At some point you and others need to move on from being happy just because of where we were years ago.

That haircut's melting your brain.

I understand second is realistic but it's not to be celebrated - it's the very least we should be doing.

its like congratulating someone for spelling their name right at the top of a test. 

Our standards have gone and we accept mediocrity - we had a couple of years accepting it under McCoist before the fans finally woken up just because we got 2 promotions, we accepted it giving Darren McGregor the player of the year award, we accepted it with Holt and Halliday (although I think we realise now they're shite), we've turned Garner into Prso mk2 and we are celebrating being second despite Kings lies, promises and going for 55 campaign.

we look stupider (possible irony alert as I don't think that's a proper word) every single week. 

Second is unacceptable - but it's a must.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, GTMLivo said:

2nd isn't ideal but it gets us European football and that's what we need to attract players it means more money better revenue streams and thats all good things.

Someone posted the financials of playing in the Europa a few weeks ago. Unless we actually progress to the latter stages, it will cost us more to compete than we'll take in, in revenue.

As an aside, there's still a long way to go before then...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe a reality check is in order. Garner isn't "awful" and Halliday and Holt aren't shite,they might not be the Rangers players we were used to in times gone bye(yes even though we're a new club). We are where we are and will be until King or preferably some rich new owner opens the purse strings. Winning leagues with signings from lower leagues and free transfers is not going to happen,we struggled to beat hivs and Falkirk last year and now we are beating hearts and the sheep so it is a step in the right direction but not something to go overboard about.

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Dickie said:

Maybe a reality check is in order. Garner isn't "awful" and Halliday and Holt aren't shite,they might not be the Rangers players we were used to in times gone bye(yes even though we're a new club). We are where we are and will be until King or preferably some rich new owner opens the purse strings. Winning leagues with signings from lower leagues and free transfers is not going to happen,we struggled to beat hivs and Falkirk last year and now we are beating hearts and the sheep so it is a step in the right direction but not something to go overboard about.

Disagree with your first part - they are shite. Maybe it's just me but if your not Rangers class then your no good to me but the second part I agree 110% with your spot on and make a good point about not beating Hibs and Falkirk but we've just bet Aberdeen and Hearts so we are moving in the right direction but I'm worried that the last few games we've peaked, we've hit all the top form we ever will. 

Celtic in a couple of weeks will be a big test to see where we really are now with it being half way through the season.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We were always going to realistically finish 2nd so it should be a given with the 2nd highest wage budget. 

The board should be questioned on their going for 55 pish when they gave MW £1.8mill to spend in the whole summer transfer window. If that isn't at least trebled this summer then we can kiss goodbye to it again. 

We all know where we came from in the past 5 years but were comfortably 2nd after all that just shows you the horror show that is Scottish football

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's has been and will continue to be a shite season. It's not worth celebrating at all. We were lied to by the Board as going for 55 was never the intention. We bought our STs, they haven't put up anywhere near what was promised and needed.

A cup win would give me something to celebrate into the summer although I know we won't win it, but celebrate this season - no chance.

Imo 3 players have got pass marks for their individual performances and  contributions so far- Wes, Clint and Garner. And that's a million miles from how it should be here and the root of my negativity.

I do hope that the squad continues to gel and gets second. I expect this to be the case. I hope we strengthen significantly in the next 2 windows but hope not expect is exactly my thinking.

Sooner this season ends the better.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

It's has been and will continue to be a shite season. It's not worth celebrating at all. We were lied to by the Board as going for 55 was never the intention. We bought our STs, they haven't put up anywhere near what was promised and needed.

A cup win would give me something to celebrate into the summer although I know we won't win it, but celebrate this season - no chance.

Imo 3 players have got pass marks for their individual performances and  contributions so far- Wes, Clint and Garner. And that's a million miles from how it should be here and the root of my negativity.

I do hope that the squad continues to gel and gets second. I expect this to be the case. I hope we strengthen significantly in the next 2 windows but hope not expect is exactly my thinking.

Sooner this season ends the better.

 

At least you'll celebrate the end of the season!(tu)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Upcoming Events

    • 25 May 2024 14:00 Until 16:00
      0  
      celtic v Rangers
      Hampden Park
      Scottish Cup

×
×
  • Create New...