Cammy Bell on MW

26 minutes ago, fanaticCR said:

He is the worst goalkeeper I've ever seen play professional football. 

what the fuck has that to do with his comments.

These stood out for me:

• I’m still not sure if he got to know the size of the club.
  • As soon as he came under pressure, he struggled.
  • HATED any confrontation.
  • A lot of his ideas as a coach were really good but sometimes he wasn’t great in man-management.
  • He was also very stubborn 

The confrontation comment was summed up by the Barton fiasco.  Had a couple of managers over the years who were great presenters but who detested and shied away from confrontation, sadly in ideas driven environments that does not work.  

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Erm who's ignoring It? It's not news Tannerall, we all knew this month's ago. We don't need Bell coming out a year after he was ditched spouting this, why not when he left?  Bit convienet for him to spill now Warburton is away eh?  

No one is saying he's lying, it's hardly news though u less you have been living here derived a rock for 2 seasons 

"Well who actually Cares?" 

Your words, not mine. 

Backs up what I think of Warburton.

A good coach, with good ideas, who struggled with being a football manager and dealing with a dressing room full of young competitive sportsmen of varying intelligence and personality. Without being involved in professional football until his late 30's/40's, it was always going to be hard for Warburton to fit in - without appreciating the dynamic of a dressing room. He simply struggled to get his message across and get guys motivated. 

I've always thought Warburton would be a good Director of Football, or Head of Youth - I think he is very well suited to those type of roles. I don't think he has enough historical connection with a dressing room to be a manager/head coach.

Just now, Badger said:

A good coach, with good ideas, who struggled with being a football manager and dealing with a dressing room full of young competitive sportsmen of varying intelligence and personality. Without being involved in professional football until his late 30's/40's, it was always going to be hard for Warburton to fit in - without appreciating the dynamic of a dressing room. He simply struggled to get his message across and get guys motivated. 

I've always thought Warburton would be a good Director of Football, or Head of Youth - I think he is very well suited to those type of roles. 

That goes back to one of my questions earlier, what exactly was the purpose of Davie Weir then ?

His experience and man management skills should have enabled Warburton's ideas, looks like Kenny Miller was the only communicator and man manager in the set-up.

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

I've always thought Warburton would be a good Director of Football, or Head of Youth - I think he is very well suited to those type of roles. 

He was really shown up dealing with bigger profile players such as Barton. He couldn't manage egos. 

One thing that has puzzled me is the up and down attitude of Lee Wallace during the Warburton's reign. 

Short periods of great play followed by longer periods where he seemed to lose ability (and all that at a time when he had been recalled to the national team and was playing against England.)

To me he's always come across as decent and committed to the team.

Did the responsibility of captaining a team that was being mismanaged with disruption in the dressing room compromise him and cause him to lose his confidence ?

10 minutes ago, tannerall said:

That goes back to one of my questions earlier, what exactly was the purpose of Davie Weir then ?

His experience and man management skills should have enabled Warburton's ideas, looks like Kenny Miller was the only communicator and man manager in the set-up.

Weir was more a lead by example captain of Rangers. I am sure he carried respect, but maybe not that X factor that makes a manager. Remember he played under Smith, who was a very good man manager, as captain he was perfect to lead by example.

Again being a good coach doesn't make you a manager, and vice versa.

As I said the other day - guys like Fergie and Smith were great managers, but not particularly great coaches. The look at somebody like Cathro, very well regarded as a coach, but looking like a management flop.

3 minutes ago, Badger said:

Weir was more a lead by example captain of Rangers.

Again being a good coach doesn't make you a manager, and vice versa.

As I said the other day - guys like Fergie and Smith were great managers, but not particularly great coaches. The look at somebody like Cathro, very well regarded as a coach, but looking like a management flop.

And Fergie and Smith were probably better managers than footballers. :happy:

But Davie Weir had played at the top for us and successfully in the EPL. He had a good understanding of defensive skills, and knew how to marshall a defence, yet that was probably the most embarrassing side to our play, so it's a puzzle to me what he brought to the management team. :headscratch:

2 minutes ago, RDFM said:

A Rangers fan with actual inside knowledge saying what we've all been saying for months yet he's getting slated like fuck for some reason.

Good stuff.

Exactly. 

Whether Bell is a good goalie, bad goalie, bitter goalie, happy goalie, Rangers fan or non-Rangers fan is irrelevant.

He's given proof that there was a lot going on which was being allowed to fester to the point it has probably knocked back our ambitions by 2 or 3 years. 

That is disgraceful in itself, and should not be ignored and the board should be held accountable for that. 

Kudos to Bell for being one of the first to state categorically what we all suspected was going on, but the likes of Barton, the captain and probably quite a few others were being told not to comment on. 

20 minutes ago, tannerall said:

He had a good understanding of defensive skills, and knew how to marshall a defence, yet that was probably the most embarrassing side to our play, so it's a puzzle to me what he brought to the management team

The only defence I could make for that case is that, teaching something that comes to you naturally isn't as easy as what you'd think. Weir could analyze a situation and know where to stand to defend, teaching that too someone isn't as easy and most of the time it's experience that does it. 

Also I think this backs up the rumour that we did no set piece training and no real analysis of losses were done. Also lapses in communication are bad see ICTS second goal against us. If weir was playing he'd likely do a job unlike watching from the sidelines where he can't tell mongo #1 and mongo #2 where to stand and who to mark. 

Still inexcusable and much better could have been done because it's true, we really don't know what Weir was doing. He couldn't have been coaching because nothing ever changed. 

2 hours ago, tannerall said:

Knee jerk reaction on here to blame the messenger not the message. But that just shows the anger the fans are now feeling as the true story comes out. 

God forbid, but maybe Barton was right to criticize the management, no-one else appears to have the confidence to do it, including those higher up. No, especially those higher up.

I've believed this since the very start and have always been vocal in here about it.  I truly believe Barton had a go at the manager (perhaps quite rightly) after the 5-1 embarrassment.  Rather than take it on the chin Warburton had a meltdown and destroyed Barton's Rangers career after only a handful of games.  I can understand why people on here always back the club rather than the players but there's every chance Bell is right here.  Warburton seemed like a smart guy but he was a stubborn cunt and in the end it's got the better of him.

Seems to be the case that players had prettyuch downed tools as they seemed annoyed and frustrated at being told to play a certain way regardless of how a.gem was going they could all see it on themselves probably talking about it after training and on phone to each other etc.  They knew within themselves that the strategy was not working and weRe being tol no this is the strategy play this way etc.  Any pre or post match interview they all sounded the same as if slightly brain washed to a degree. 

Said it a while ago . The barton issue is the straw that broke the camels back and MW made.a cunt of.iT.  on the back of.the things above ,.having made a mess of man management of the situation....the players had already been struggling but nail in coffin

34 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

I've believed this since the very start and have always been vocal in here about it.  I truly believe Barton had a go at the manager (perhaps quite rightly) after the 5-1 embarrassment.  Rather than take it on the chin Warburton had a meltdown and destroyed Barton's Rangers career after only a handful of games.  I can understand why people on here always back the club rather than the players but there's every chance Bell is right here.  Warburton seemed like a smart guy but he was a stubborn cunt and in the end it's got the better of him.

We can now see a bit more clearly that stubborness probably masked a fear of losing credibility, and he may not have had the real confidence and toughness that experience brings and is vital in the fishbowl mentality of Scottish football.

Or was maybe not backed enough by those around him and those higher up ? Paul Le Guen revisited ?

Going forward for Mark Warburton, he does seem to have the correct attributes more akin for a DOF( not suggesting Rangers). He does have a vision about how a football club should be run. He just doesn't have the correct man management to implement it. 

Couple Warburton up with a coach that will first and foremost put out a team to win but will try to maintain the vision of the DOF. Also importantly can get the best out of players, knows how to man-manage them.