DOF signing the players from now on?

KingKirk

1 hour ago, wearethepeople1 said:

Another shambolic system set up by the current fools who run our club. The DOF will be a costly flash in the pan for us, with no benefits IMO. Taking a former youth coach to be your DOF sums up the idiots running the show. I think after this transfer window the heat will be turned up on Allen then he will be binned in summer. 

He is building a scouting system......fuck all benefits.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Essandoh said:

I get that mate but it won’t exist with the function of the DoF having final say on who we sign. The list will be collected, presented and agreed upon with the manager.

If that doesn’t turn out to be the case I’ll hold my hands up.

if we indeed hire a manager then yeah he will have final say, however if we hire a first team coach then you might find the say on whats needed and signed is down to the DOF

Mark Allan doesnt strike me as that type of DOF however, and i think thats why we got him in, he's to take care of EVERYTHING else bar first team matters, hence why we hired pedro before a DOF was in place

1 hour ago, B1872 said:

I’m like a broken record but it fucking depresses me how my club is being run. A DOF that doesn’t understand Scottish football who will only bring up third rate English pish that won’t improve us! ??

I hope to fuck he doesn’t understand Scottish Football because it’s utter pish. 

1 hour ago, johanhentze said:

Haha, yea... quite the opposite. There are gems to be had. FC Copenhagen were raided over the summer by Bundesliga clubs, so there ARE players to be  had. Plenty good players in Scandinavia.

Your neck of the world is the most beautiful part of the world as far as I’m concerned 

something I want to do soon Is do camp sites and log cabins in the outer outback Scandenvia any commendations ?

being serious not a piss take

Done correctly this should work . The key word here is continuity . 

It's all about Rangers , not any particular manager . We've seen ourselves over the last few managers how difficult , and costly , it is to replace a previous manager's team every time there is a managerial change . Hopefully a DoF can achieve this by giving us players that allow a continuity , and an ethos of football , with which Rangers will be reknown for , irrespective of who the manager is . 

I can understand the concerns of why a manager should pick his players but as I've said , done correctly this shouldn't be  a problem where the manager will have a say , even if it isn't the final decision . And let's face it , player recruitment is at presently only a part of a manager's job , and yes , on many occasions he will have first hand experience of seeing who he wants , but so will the DoF and his team . In fact , even more so , in that they will be able to scrutinise targets under all kinds of different scenarios , something I think would be unrealistic to expect a manager to do , given his main job is preparing the team for games . 

I wouldnt diss this just yet . Obviously the key to this would be the relationship between the DoF and manager , but at a club like ours I'd expect professionalism is key , where the greater good of Rangers comes first before any individual. 

1 hour ago, K.A.I said:

Your neck of the world is the most beautiful part of the world as far as I’m concerned 

something I want to do soon Is do camp sites and log cabins in the outer outback Scandenvia any commendations ?

being serious not a piss take

Well.. my neck of the woods is the Faroe Islands, which is quite different from Norway, Sweden & Denmark.. Up here is amazing if you like mountains and hiking.. Norway is amazing as well - perfect for log cabins.. Was in Lillehammer not long ago and they have all these amazing cabins all over the place. Didnt stay in one myself but it really looks amazing.

12 minutes ago, Basrah Bear said:

not a fan of DOF position. we need  the money for other priorities. Other than sound bytes from him don't see any improvement that has been purely down to him.. Scouting system was inevitable and would have happened with or without DOF.

But it WASNT happening before he was appointed. The point is that he was put in charge of putting it together and has done so.. so thats surely an improvement, no? Time will tell how successful it will be, but a proper scouting system takes a helluva lot of work and that is exactly what someone like him puts in place and runs.

People go on about the DOF role without actually saying what they think it involves. One simply cannot say that "British managers dont work well with DOFs". The DOF role can be so many things.. it can be a purely admin role which just links all the departments... it can be a more hands on approach on the footballing side.. 

6 minutes ago, johanhentze said:

But it WASNT happening before he was appointed. The point is that he was put in charge of putting it together and has done so.. so thats surely an improvement, no? Time will tell how successful it will be, but a proper scouting system takes a helluva lot of work and that is exactly what someone like him puts in place and runs.

People go on about the DOF role without actually saying what they think it involves. One simply cannot say that "British managers dont work well with DOFs". The DOF role can be so many things.. it can be a purely admin role which just links all the departments... it can be a more hands on approach on the footballing side.. 

Johan , not a position that's required at present, we have other priorities. The scouting system is a necessity and would happen without a DOF in place. Hes like an HR manager, waste of space and money. Shut his office down and at most people would notice an empty office, nothing else.

The pro DOF people say he needs more time, I disagree.

4 hours ago, Reformation Bear said:

The transfer window opening in a few weeks time looks like it might be a curious period of time for Rangers.   Maybe even a non event in terms of players coming in.    With no permanent manager but with Murty providing inputs in relation to the characteristics or areas where he feels the squad needs to be strengthened and the DOF recruitment hounds setting off to track down suitable targets it strikes me there might not be many, if any, new signings.   Apart from making this process work, Murty is an interim and a different manager may identify different requirements so any player(s) brought in could risk being a waste of money.    In addition in speaking to target players the players themselves may be none too keen on joining if they felt there was a risk that a different permanent manager took a different view of what was needed.    

IMO not having a permanent manager at the decision helm hampers what could and should be done in the Jan transfer window,    It may even effectively scupper it.  But we'd never find out if that was the case as it'd simply be masked under the cloak of targets identified were not available or could not be identified within budget limits.  

A transfer window works 2 ways though.    Maybe there are some players at Rangers who might like to be transferred out.   Who has the ultimate decision on that - DOF or manager (or is it really King if the transfer might attract a decent fee)?

Also players will become available for pre-contract agreements.    Who decides on which ones to go for?  DOF again I presume based on the characteristics etc id'd by Murty (who may not be manager when the players actually join).    Ditto for those players at Rangers who are out of contract next summer.   Miller for instance?   Who decides on who is to be offered a new deal and who is to be released?    DOF again but with input from a manager who may not be in the manager's job next summer?

The DOF recruitment boys don't seem to have done a top notch job in finding a replacement manager after 8 weeks or so.   Those same hounds tracking down prospective players to join or coming to decisions on who at Rangers is offered a new contract next summer and who is released either in Jan or in Summer doesn't so far inspire me.    Central to this is the key figure in decision taking - a manager - is only being filled on an interim basis and it'll be that way at the start of the Jan transfer window.    It'd be something of a wonder if a manager is appointed in early Jan and is still able to have a meaningful influence on what happens in the Jan transfer window.   

Right now I'd be surprised if we saw any new arrivals in Jan but would not be surprised if some of the Pedro-sourced players left. 

Not having a manager after all this time is nuts RB, and your post just highlights what a fuck up the whole situation is.

If as we were told that Murty is here until the tattiedome game then does that mean a new manager will be in post on the first working day of Jan ?  or will we just start looking then incase Murts plays a blinder and he has to be given the job ? 

I am rather :confused: with the whole situation. 

1 hour ago, Basrah Bear said:

Johan , not a position that's required at present, we have other priorities. The scouting system is a necessity and would happen without a DOF in place. Hes like an HR manager, waste of space and money. Shut his office down and at most people would notice an empty office, nothing else.

The pro DOF people say he needs more time, I disagree.

I simply disagree with you. What do we gain by sending him home? Who would run the scouting system? Who would expand it and oversee the whole thing? Specifics?

7 hours ago, Bears r us said:

Not having a manager after all this time is nuts RB, and your post just highlights what a fuck up the whole situation is.

If as we were told that Murty is here until the tattiedome game then does that mean a new manager will be in post on the first working day of Jan ?  or will we just start looking then incase Murts plays a blinder and he has to be given the job

I am rather :confused: with the whole situation. 

I have heard that after 10 games he gets the manager position by default but I can't find anything in the rule book that says this is so. Is this what you mean by plays a blinder?

1 hour ago, Gman36 said:

Why are we putting faith in this guy to get signings for us? Does he have any track record of this? 

His track record is running an academy that had hundreds of millions of pounds into it. Does that make him qualified to go looking for talented players in the bargain basement? For me it’s questionable.

1 hour ago, Sweetheart said:

I have heard that after 10 games he gets the manager position by default but I can't find anything in the rule book that says this is so. Is this what you mean by plays a blinder?

That doesn’t happen. If he is the manager after ten games the bookies will pay out on him being the next permanent manager. That’s it.

1 hour ago, Sweetheart said:

For the purposes of 'Next permanent manager' betting 10 games is enough to win the bet even if the man in place is still officially an interim or caretaker.   Obviously we won't be forced to give Murty the job just because be takes the team for 10 games.