Steven Gerrard MBE - New Manager

Wullie72

• Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Trooblue said:

But cash is required to give him the squad he needs to succeed as a manager. 

I know but the implication (unless I'm mistaken) was that he's only coming for the money.

I think it has to happen now for the credibility or the club as much as anything. As someone who wasn't convinced originally I'm now desperate for it to happen. 

Another rejection would be humiliating and god knows who we'd turn to next.

2 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I'm not sure mate. Gerrard isn't short. He could get a lot more money going back out to LA and doing ad's, coaching, promotions, reality TV etc out there. No doubt about it.

The appeal for Gerrard is management. The chance of a lifetime to manage a big club like us as his first managers job. 

The way we are just now and the state we are in the job isn't for everyone it seems but it still appeals to anyone with a hint of personal ambition.

I’m sure money is not an object for Gerrard personally but in the sense of his ambitions at the club it is a must.

That’s what I mean.

If the rumours of major investment are true then that’s a bigger story than Gerrard 

1 hour ago, Reformation Bear said:

Perhaps they won't get away with it if it emerges that he doesn't take the job.   But on the other hand the spin machine would be put into turbo mode to make the point that they aimed high (at least in their view of what 'high' was) and tried their best to persuade him with a good deal and all that but he preferred other options.     That way it'll be a case of trying to show that they were trying hard to land what they though would be a big fish and can't be faulted for having the high ambition.    A bit like a business having a stretch target and absolutely great if they hit it but the real target that had to be hit - the affordable one - was quite a bit lower.   A vaulting ambition and good for PR but shrug of shoulders if it doesn't happen because reality has brought them to heel, and reality is all that could be done anyway.

So as I see it they'd simply put the full 'we tried very hard' story out and then we settle down to the reality of who they actually get.   

I'd like to trust them more about achieving the appointment of a really good quality manager, but their track record so far leads me to a position of believing it when I see it. 

I'm familiar with this tactic from Gold and Sullivan. 

It doesn't work and the relationship with the support is dead.

10 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I know but the implication (unless I'm mistaken) was that he's only coming for the money.

I didn't read it that way. You are right about SG not needing to make a career move for money though. 

Person that sourced me tickets for the Cup Semi for the guys on here has told me this has been provisionally agreed and he is the manager as of 1st June. 

It will be made official on Monday, but, if we lose tomorrow it is likely to be made late Sunday to take the shine off. 

There is also talk - but not likely - of Gerard Houlier being involved in as a PT coaching adviser. 

Gerrard and Mccallister have had a follow up meeting at Ibrox this afternoon and terms have been agreed. 

It's all down to both sides signing on the dotted line. 

As much as I'm not enthralled by hiring a rookie, he'll 100% receive my backing. 

5 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

That Klopp, Mourinho and Guardiola combined couldn't get us to beat celtic next year.

What a clown. The English pundits are quick to bump their gums about how English coaches never get a chance and now an English coach is about to be given the biggest job he will probably ever have for his first job and they are telling him not to take it :lol:

5 hours ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

You need to start changing the company you keep, I'm surprised at you of all people. It has saddened my heart to hear this disappointing association.:angrywillie:

Its a couple of people I work with. 

The conversation is kept to a bare minimum

6 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

That Klopp, Mourinho and Guardiola combined couldn't get us to beat celtic next year.

If we had won 4 games against Accies, Killie, St Johnstone and Hibs at Ibrox we would be top of the table by 2 points.  Do we need Klopp. Mourinho or Guardiola to beat them?

10 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Did he say it without his teeth falling onto the table. 

3 minutes ago, MK Dumfries said:

When we played Liverpool a few years back did we give Gerrard a cringy as fuck round of applause just for being quality as we did for lamps and kaka?

Why is applauding a top player after they've put in a great performance cringey? ?

34 minutes ago, gsa said:

I think it has to happen now for the credibility or the club as much as anything. As someone who wasn't convinced originally I'm now desperate for it to happen. 

Another rejection would be humiliating and god knows who we'd turn to next.

You're bang on with that.

Archived