Free beer tomorrow, again !

backup

STEVEN GERRARD has warned his Rangers strike force they must hit the goal trail or risk losing their starting spots to fresh arrivals this summer.

The Ibrox boss saw his side progress through to the second round of the Europa League with a goalless draw against FK Shkupi on Tuesday night.

There was no repeat of the calamitous defeat to Progres Niederkorn 12 months ago as first leg strikes from Jamie Murphy and James Tavernier proved enough for the Light Blues.

Rangers spurned a series of chances during a one-sided affair at Ibrox last week as they blew the opportunity to finish the tie during the first 90 minutes.

A lacklustre display in the final third never looked like leading to an upset in Skopje as their Macedonian hosts struggled to assert themselves an attacking force.

But Gerrard will demand better from his players after two frustrating outings in front of goal in recent days.

He said: “I think if I am candid about it, the people that can score goals and create quality for us are in that dressing room.

“I have said they are here. I don’t want to go and do that (have to bring players in) but games are going to get more difficult now.

“We almost, with all due respect, treated these two games as pre-season. Pre-season is done now.

“Next week I can’t talk about tuning up and sharpening up, we are four weeks in now.

“Those players have to start delivering in the final third, there needs to be more quality and I can’t be any more candid about it.

“From a positive, and on the other side of the game, the two centre halves were excellent, Flanno (Jon Flanagan) is Flanno, Tav (Tavernier) was good.

“And I thought the two lads we put in front did a really good job. I thought Ryan Jack was good, Ross [McCrorie] was good, apart from a few little moments.”

Gerrard has made significant changes to his Ibrox squad so far this summer as nine players have arrived and a handful have been shown the exit door.

But Nigerian forward Umar Sadiq is the only striker that has been brought on board to date after he completed a loan move from Serie A giants Roma.

Sadiq and fellow loan star Lassana Coulibaly were ineligible for the Shkupi tie and will be given time to get up to speed this term.

Gerrard said: “I think he (Sadiq) will be available [for the second qualifier] but where he will be in terms of fitness we will have to wait and see.

“Those lads are probably on day eight or nine so I can’t put them in when they are not ready. But they are going to be with us moving forward.”

Sounds to me more of what we have heard from previous managers, if those in the dressing room that SG believes are still the first answer couldn’t produce for previous managers, it is a leap of faith to believe imho that they will suddenly come good for him.

Still strangers things have happened they say

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results.

We definitely need more quality in the team. Our bench is poor aswell, it should have players who are as good, at least, as the player he's replacing. Andy Haliday and the likes are nowhere near the quality we need.

Gerrard knows this though, I'm sure.

25 minutes ago, backup said:

Sounds to me more of what we have heard from previous managers, if those in the dressing room that SG believes are still the first answer couldn’t produce for previous managers, it is a leap of faith to believe imho that they will suddenly come good for him.

Still strangers things have happened they say

They did produce for previous managers tho 

Fans over-analyse what managers say.  Its a work in progress and only time will tell if hes up to the job.  Trying to mind read from a press conference or interview doesnt resolve anything.  How we play in the coming months is what counts.  All we can do is buckle up and get ready for the ride.

Those comments in bold worry me if I'm honest. I said when he arrived there's certain players he's talking about keeping that should be cashed in or gotten rid of and got told he actually means something else etc etc.

He is genuinely under-estimating what he/we need. We look the same as we always have with the exception of maybe being tighter at the back. 

We don't have the players in midfield or upfront to go toe to toe with celtic and that's what we should be aiming for. It will be a long season unless some good money is spent middle to front. I'm calling it now.

16 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Those comments in bold worry me if I'm honest. I said when he arrived there's certain players he's talking about keeping that should be cashed in or gotten rid of and got told he actually means something else etc etc.

He is genuinely under-estimating what he/we need. We look the same as we always have with the exception of maybe being tighter at the back. 

We don't have the players in midfield or upfront to go toe to toe with celtic and that's what we should be aiming for. It will be a long season unless some good money is spent middle to front. I'm calling it now.

Its the elephant in the room, everyone can see it.

He starts the season without being tooled up and relying on what we have to come good then he's jeopardising his management career before its even got off the ground. I take no satisfaction speaking in such negative terms but anybody with a brain knows full well by now what we have ain't going to cut it. Not even close. 

Loads of time to get quality in the door who are up to the task so no need for panic.  The warning signs are there already for Gerrard though, he has to convince King to deliver the necessary. 

Just now, Gazza1212 said:

Its the elephant in the room, everyone can see it.

He starts the season without being tooled up and relying on what we have to come good then he's jeopardising his management career before its even got off the ground. I take no satisfaction speaking in such negative terms but anybody with a brain knows full well by now what we have ain't going to cut it. Not even close. 

Loads of time to get quality in the door who are up to the task so no need for panic.  The warning signs are there already for Gerrard though, he has to convince King to deliver the necessary. 

Elephant in the room is a good way of putting it. There's a few things I reckon deep down everyone knows is true but because of the Gerrard effect they don't give it a consideration.

Rangers isn't the place to learn for a manager or the place to develop for a player either. We need ready made people for both. 

Gerrard isn't stupid and will learn from any mistakes with ease - but it's frustrating when you see it play out as prevention is much better than cure.

I don’t want to go and do that (have to bring players in)

I don't like this bit at all. Especially considering king was giving it the top scorer pish the other day as well. Of course he's not going to come out and say this player's shite, but it just gives me a bad feeling they think "sorting" the defence is all it'll take when it's fucking obvious it isn't.

4 minutes ago, They Gnu said:

Jack is just returning from long term injury, give him a chance to get Match sharpness back and he’ll do us a turn. 

It's little to do with long term injuries and match sharpness, it's the type of player he is (even fully fit) he's not a creative player.

You can't play a midfield with the likes of Jack and McCrorie in it, it stiffles creativity. You can get away with 1 or the other against better teams but not both - especially against weaker teams.

6 minutes ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

So the gaffer says Jack played well and I get pelters from the RM Loyal for suggesting this ???

Mate, whatever Gerrard says and does is correct - no matter what. Get with it.

Just now, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Correct mate ?

How was the trip? 

I thought Jack had a good game, never a starter but a good squad player. But on Tuesday he was ok.

Good trip. Suffering now. Just slept for literally 15h straight (had about 3 hours sleep past 2 days previously)