Tav - Get used to it

Just now, G.E.C. said:

He’s a liability whenever he plays against them. Bar one decent showing at the piggery he’s usually hopeless. Flanagen seems a better option.

What was just as worrying for me is thats the first time Goldson has came up against strong physical players and was fuckin brutal. Hes going to see more of the same next week , hopefully it was a one off.

11 minutes ago, TMB said:

Finding a full-back who can attack and defend in equal measure isn't easy.  Tavernier is suspect defensively yet WBA were still willing to pay £3m which we knocked back.  If Barisic is the real deal we wont be able to keep him for long.  

If we played a 4 at the back with Flanagan on the right and Barisic on the left I could understand that.  Today the manager played both full-backs and asked them to get forward and they created our goals.  The three CBs didn't seem comfortable with the formation today at all.  Maybe it's just about striking the right balance which I'm sure Gerrard will be looking at.  

Well hopefully it will be easier to find such players now that we aren't doing all our shopping in the English basement bins

45 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

It was a 352 and Goldson and Katic were sitting when we were going forward. I don't need to be at the game to know what the formation was. He did try and get forward a couple of times obviously, but he wasn't playing LB, because we weren't playing with a back 4. 

That's right 3 at the back, no right back, 2 central defenders Goldson and Katic and a left back Flanagan 

1 hour ago, Davie Mr Magic Cooper said:

I did give him credit for his assists, but HE'S A DEFENDER. A DEFENDER who simply CANNOT DEFEND. He's our weak link at the back (not in the team) and as such is a liability to us winning games. I say again...he missed Candeias today as he helps him out big time.

And that should be the beginning and end of it all - No way should he be selected as a right back if he cannot defend. SG needs to look at this and see whether or not Tav can play elsewhere ( RWB ? ) in a formation which is beneficial to the team performance, BUT, no way at RB !

So glaringly obvious the Flan should start at RB (his natural position) with Borna at LB and with Goldson and Katic in the middle (without having to constantly cover the RB position) will redress the stats of last year where we conceded so many.

Surely it is daft to suggest that to start Tav at RB, it  is necessary to start Candeias - it is saying that SG needs to start with one hand behind his back.

WATP

Also, Tav is no leader of men.

Some of the tv close ups I thought he was going to greet. A little boy lost. I want to see mr fucking angry out there and taking no prisoners. Funnily enough, just like every well player were doing in that second half.

Nice guy, good attacking attributes, but weak as piss. I don't know wtf Gerrard is doing having him as captain. About as motivational as a wet kipper.

I’ve not read the full thread and am willing to be called unstaunch or whatever but imo tav simply isn’t good enough for where we want to be and no1 should be in our team now that were there previously when we were gettin gubbed 3/4/5 off of celtic. I didn’t agree with him getting the captaincy and I thought it was just SG trying to push the price up a bit but obv not  the guy is rank rotten and we should’ve bit the hand off West Brom and put Flanagan to right back,  barisic left back, and used the cash for a Centre half and a striker. 

21 minutes ago, bluewhitevanman said:

I’ve not read the full thread and am willing to be called unstaunch or whatever but imo tav simply isn’t good enough for where we want to be and no1 should be in our team now that were there previously when we were gettin gubbed 3/4/5 off of celtic. I didn’t agree with him getting the captaincy and I thought it was just SG trying to push the price up a bit but obv not  the guy is rank rotten and we should’ve bit the hand off West Brom and put Flanagan to right back,  barisic left back, and used the cash for a Centre half and a striker. 

100%

I thought the well trodden path to success was to create a solid defence and make us hard to beat, then build on that.

You wouldn’t build a wall with the sole purpose of keeping people out which then has a gaping hole in it.

As for the attacking  side of things, if a defender can defend then a winger can attack down the wing more often, rather than have to worry about continually providing cover.

Seems pretty simply to me.

1 minute ago, beararse said:

I thought the well trodden path to success was to create a solid defence and make us hard to beat, then build on that.

You wouldn’t build a wall with the sole purpose of keeping people out which then has a gaping hole in it.

As for the attacking  side of things, if a defender can defend then a winger can attack down the wing more often, rather than have to worry about continually providing cover.

Seems pretty simply to me.

Does and we've never been beat, try again!

7 minutes ago, Howsitgoing said:

Does and we've never been beat, try again!

Can’t argue with that reply.

Yes, we’ve not been beaten yet.

But I can pretty much guarantee that Tav’s inability to defend will be the hot topic of conversation throughout this season.

Also, whilst we didn’t get beat today we threw away two valuable points, if that happens another twice it’s effectively two defeats.

The point I’m making is that you simply cannot build a solid and reliable defence with such an obvious weak link in it.

4 hours ago, cp9 said:

No one refuses to see or argues that Tav isnt defender. Don't know why folk get on such a high horse about it.

The difference is that he'll create more goals for the team than he'll concede. 

A FAR better option than Flanagan. 

What???

oh, except today.

37 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Aye and we shouldn't be drawing with bottom of the league abject fucking dross either.

All about standards and he falls below them in the defending department.

Tavernier has his place in the squad but you'll get no arguments from me that he shouldn't be a first choice fullback. Gerrard needs to use him solely for his obvious strengths which will be fundamental in our 55th league win but he has always been a weak link that opposition teams take advantage of when it comes to defending. 

Shouldn't be the captain either, Ryan Jack is starting to look the part for that job.

Was at the game today and just watched the highlights there. Tav really needs to cut this shit out once and for all and defend and concentrate like a captain fucking should. Love him to bits going forward but today that has cost us three points and allowed the Scum to leapfrog us just before the game at their Cesspit.  My patience has well and truly run out with him as a defender - he can’t fucking defend!!!!

1 hour ago, beararse said:

Can’t argue with that reply.

Yes, we’ve not been beaten yet.

But I can pretty much guarantee that Tav’s inability to defend will be the hot topic of conversation throughout this season.

Also, whilst we didn’t get beat today we threw away two valuable points, if that happens another twice it’s effectively two defeats.

The point I’m making is that you simply cannot build a solid and reliable defence with such an obvious weak link in it.

Tavs inability to defend is an issue that Gerrard will need to resolve but he does have assets that makes him an important member of the squad albeit it shouldn't be him as the captain or first choice full back. There will be games where Tavernier will be more suited than a full back that's better at defending, its up to Gerrard to use him appropriately.