King/SG proposed talks.

backup

Steven Gerrard and Dave King will meet in the next fortnight to firm up their summer spending plans.

The Rangers chairman will fly in to Glasgow from South Africa to discuss summer signing targets with his manager.

Gerrard insists there is no major overhaul of his squad required, but he will be targeting quality over quantity.

Loan stars such as Joe Worrall, Ryan Kent and Lassana Coulibaly will return to their parent clubs and talks are ongoing to add Greg Stewart to Jordan Jones as Bosman recruits.

It will be the first time Gerrard has had talks with the Ibrox moneyman since mid-February, when King last visited Glasgow, and he expects them to be positive.

Gerrard said: “I’m sure Dave will give me his honest assessment and we will talk about moving forward. I’m looking forward to catching up.

“I don’t think changes will be wholesale. I came into a broken dressing room last summer with cliques and problems and issues, so it was very important to make a lot of changes and freshen it up to try and provide a base.

“We have achieved it, but it is very clear now it is about quality. It is important to bring in a higher level of player to add to the XI, which will give us more firepower and numbers in the top area of the pitch. That is where we have fallen a bit short at times.

“There are more than a couple of challenges that come with that and one is obviously financial. We have to wait to see what is available and there might be movement within our squad.

“Are the right players available to us? Can we afford them? Do they look in and see this is an exciting challenge that they want to be part of?

“I am really excited by those challenges. I look forward to sitting down with Dave and the board in the weeks before the end of the season.

“The reality is we are not Manchester City or Chelsea, where we have deep pockets and we can just go, ‘Yes, yes, yes’ and everything is rosy.

“That is not the case. We have already identified the areas where we need to strengthen.

“We have identified personnel in those areas. We have a list and what happens and who is available will determine who we go for and how quickly we move.”

I still think the foundation of the team is there and does not need too much. 

Its a few tweaks in certain positions required.

Coulibaly and Worral definitely wont return.

So many others have question marks over returning from injury or returning from loan etc

Holt, Docherty, Dorrans, Murphy, Davis, Kent will all be in a 50/50 position right now as to what happens next season.

Busy time ahead for the Board and Gerrard.

The proof is in the pudding but, in theory, ‘quality over quantity’ is definitely the right approach. I don’t mind us replacing the departing players (loanees plus Wallace, Holt, Fod, etc.) with young SPL bosmans as long as we get those 2/3 marquee players.

52 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Stopped reading when Worrall and Coullibaly were referred to as “stars”

You'd have missed the quotes attributable to SG then, rather than the article writer narrative. Pretty daft approach if you're in any way wanting to ascertain as genuine an insight as possible into a topic.

1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

You'd have missed the quotes attributable to SG then, rather than the article writer narrative. Pretty daft approach if you're in any way wanting to ascertain as genuine an insight as possible into a topic.

That nougat just can't read:p:

25 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

I love it when people always say " stop reading at....." when in actual fact they read the whole article. Makes me laugh 😉

It's the bitch in them . Nothing more sensible to post so they jump in and try to be smart arse . He does it all the time

King must back SG with the funds to add 3 or 4 quality first team starters if we are to offer a serious challenge for the title next season.

I believe he will give him those funds......... 4 or 5 million each.......and hopefully SG can help attract those top notch players to the club.