Older Bears

Essandoh

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, MurrayWilson said:

Mykhaleilychenko, absolute class. Made it look effortless which it probably was to him. Nowadays we couldnt dream of getting a player like him but back then it wasnt a certainty he would be a first pick.

I bet you googled the spelling.😀

21 minutes ago, MurrayWilson said:

Mykhaleilychenko, absolute class. Made it look effortless which it probably was to him. Nowadays we couldnt dream of getting a player like him but back then it wasnt a certainty he would be a first pick.

Probably one of the best central midfielders in Europe at the time and we played him on the wing where he couldn't get a game ahead of Huistra.  We really were spoiled in those days.

3 hours ago, British_Empire said:

I'm 36 so nowhere near as old as some of the other guys who your thread probably aimed at, but I'd still like to leave a special mention of my own in Ian Ferguson.

One of the last few successful, dyed-in-the-wool Rangers men who actually got it and didn't turn into an utter fanny/celtic-Scotland loving lick-arse fanny minute they stopped playing.

Not the best ever player you'll ever see technically, but his dig, drive, tackling, passion was second-to-none and he could still play a bit too. Nice range of passing and often pop up with crucial goals in big games. 

They don't make them like that anymore. 

Ian Ferguson to me epitomises all it is to be a Ranger.  

37 minutes ago, gmcf said:

Jim Bett . I think he'd have fitted well in a Souness team . 

A John Greig signing and a classy footballer. Looking back I think Greig was trying to turn us into more of a footballing side than we had been under Jock Wallace, in the end it just didn’t work out for him.  

That night at the Piggery had a big effect, we lost a bit of momentum and the tarriers got a big lift from it. If we had won the Treble in Greig’s first season, maybe it would have turned out differently in the long term.

1 minute ago, .Williamson. said:

Obviously he is legend but he is very rarely spoke about by the younger generation in reality

He was the player that got me to think about football in a different way.   Up until that point I'd admired flair players and goalscorers but Ferguson made me realise how important it was to have that bit of bite in the middle of the park.   I think he missed a few games of the 92/93 Champions League campaign cause he twisted his back in a league game and we really missed him.

I know Sandy Jardine was very well recognized within our support but I never quite felt he received enough accolades outside the club. McGrain got more attention and more Scotland caps. For me, there was little between both of them and Sandy deserved more.

Archived