Older Bears

Essandoh

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Billy Ritchie excellent goalkeeper who was a vital part of the wonderful team of the early sixties,had to play understudy to George Niven for about four years before he became the first team goalkeeper,played every game in the treble winning 1963/64 season and was outstanding in both games of the 1966 cup final when King Kai scored the winner in the replay.

10 hours ago, GWR1979 said:

Hemdani 

Was underated but one of the main reasons why we made the Uefa Cup final. 

Always thought he was really, really over-rated tbh.

He had some good games away in Europe for us, but that was it. 

Domestically he was found wanting more often than not IMO.

It's telling that one of the first things Smith did (for the league) when he returned, was drop Hemdani from most games and sign Kevin Thomson. That literally says everything about what we need as a club, to be successful in Scotland and I draw the same comparisons with Ryan Jack now as I did with Hemdani as both were/are highly rated by some of the support, only really shine in Europe, but domestically both look/looked very slow and style of play to keep it far too simple. 

2 hours ago, HairyBeary said:

I was a big fan of Spackman. Never stopped working for the team. 

Me too, happy to graft away & let the others grab the headlines. 

Had a perfect mix of ability, aggression & most importantly gamesmanship.  

Always looked to be communicating with teammates, officials & opposition for the good of the team.  

Great pro.  

22 hours ago, Essandoh said:

Who's a player from yesteryear you feel is forgotten for their contributions? And why?

Don’t consider myself old at 34, but a few that I don’t think get the credit they deserved or contributions are sometimes underestimated: 

- Neil McCann

- Davie Robertson 

Also shout out to Charlie Miller for his contributions, despite pishing his incredible natural talent up against a wall a lot of the time.

11 hours ago, gmcf said:

Those were the days you just turned up and paid to get in . Long gone now . 

Aye pay at the gate and choice of any seat. The thing I remember about the turnstiles they were brown and about 5ft with little room to get under if you tried to get a two for one deal:whistle: and there was always a polis at every one just to ensure.  The games against that lot the attendances must have been out with the amount of fans gaining access by doubling up. The things you done back then kids now wouldn’t have a clue or understand how or why..

17 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Don’t consider myself old at 34, but a few that I don’t think get the credit they deserved or contributions are sometimes underestimated: 

- Neil McCann

- Davie Robertson 

Also shout out to Charlie Miller for his contributions, despite pishing his incredible natural talent up against a wall a lot of the time.

Charlie Miller IMO is one of the best examples of " What if " or " What could've been " regarding players coming through the youth system . One of the best I watched at Youth level , and didn't look out of place when he broke into the first team but sadly never reached the level that his undoubted talent should have warranted . 

Neil Murray is someone who's contribution as a utility player during the 92/95 period goes under the radar . Walter seemed to prefer his steady ,  unspectacular style in a variety of positions . Never outstanding , but always reliable would sum him up , for me .

40 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

- Neil McCann

- Davie Robertson 

The first 2 were out and the out winners. Charlie was gifted but he was surrounded by legends. 

A Charlie miller now would fit our team perfectly 

23 minutes ago, Old No7. said:

Aye pay at the gate and choice of any seat. The thing I remember about the turnstiles they were brown and about 5ft with little room to get under if you tried to get a two for one deal:whistle: and there was always a polis at every one just to ensure.  The games against that lot the attendances must have been out with the amount of fans gaining access by doubling up. The things you done back then kids now wouldn’t have a clue or understand how or why..

Aye , remember all the old codgers stamping their feet in the main stand forca corner any time I was there - that'd be me now :lol:

Then there was having to decipher the code for the half time results unless you had a programme . 

Archived