Maradona RIP

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ayrshireranger said:

I feel sorry for those here who never saw him in his pomp. 

But then I am not old enough to have seen Pele or Best at their peak and only saw the great Johan Cruyff at the end of his career (Ibrox 1984). 

Saw them all, Maradona was easily the best of those three on sheer ability, and his character could win a game and lift  a whole team on his own. 

7 hours ago, tannerall said:

Saw them all, Maradona was easily the best of those three on sheer ability, and his character could win a game and lift  a whole team on his own. 

Did see Maradona at Hampden when I believe he was 19 in 1979, Pele towards the end of his career against Scotland in 1973 and Cruyff at Ibrox in 1973. All were brilliant but Maradona was unplayable. I recall Jock Stein took Alan Hansen off at half-time as a reaction to Scotland's inability to control a very good Argentina team with Maradona directing the play even at that young age. Even at 19 he was physically very strong, had superb balance and was extremely quick. Did not see George Best play unfortunately.

45 minutes ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

This 100% ‘The Little BIrd’ was twice the player Maradona was.

Aye, he sure was. Did he have rickets or something like that? I know he definitely had something wrong with his legs, but when he got them moving... WOW!! 

Only player I have ever seen that I would put up there with Pelé. Incredible talent. 

Yes, I also saw him help the Argies beat Scotland 3-1 in 79. Though Leopold Luque and the other world cup winners were the guys I remember, we were told to watch out for this teenager and they were 100% correct. Rest in Peace, Diego.

1 hour ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Aye, he sure was. Did he have rickets or something like that? I know he definitely had something wrong with his legs, but when he got them moving... WOW!! 

Only player I have ever seen that I would put up there with Pelé. Incredible talent. 

There’s a documentary going about on him, great watch. Aye he had his problems as well, physically and life in general, didn’t stop him winning 2 World Cup medals but, another who died early, only 49. 👍🏻😉

5 hours ago, bassettger said:

Did see Maradona at Hampden when I believe he was 19 in 1979, Pele towards the end of his career against Scotland in 1973 and Cruyff at Ibrox in 1973. All were brilliant but Maradona was unplayable. I recall Jock Stein took Alan Hansen off at half-time as a reaction to Scotland's inability to control a very good Argentina team with Maradona directing the play even at that young age. Even at 19 he was physically very strong, had superb balance and was extremely quick. Did not see George Best play unfortunately.

Hansen played the full 90 mins .Half time sub was the goalkeepers then Frank Gray come on for Asa Hartford.

Archived