C*ltc

12 hours ago, One Jock Wallace said:

Read this in the Times. Apologies if posted already. 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/celtic-fans-ira-t-shirt-conviction-quashed-plk3sj2pm

Three celtic fans who were taken to court for wearing pro-IRA T-shirts at a football match against a Belfast team have had their convictions overturned.

Michael MacAulay, Daniel Ward and Ryan Walker were spotted by police inside celtic Park sporting shirts emblazoned with a head wearing a black beret, sunglasses and a camouflage scarf covering the mouth, with the flag of the Republic of Ireland featured in the background.

Officers at the celtic v Linfield match, a Champions League qualifier, interpreted the image as referring to IRA paramilitaries. The men were arrested and went on trial at Glasgow sheriff court in February. They denied committing a breach of the peace at the game in July 2017 but were convicted.

PC Samantha Stirling and PC Karen Taylor, both of Police Scotland, told the court they believed the image to have paramilitary connotations. PC Simon Nixon, from the Police Service of Northern Ireland, also said the image was clearly intended to depict an IRA member in paramilitary clothing.

The men took their case to the Sheriff Appeal Court where the verdict was quashed by three judges led by Sheriff Principal Craig Turnbull.

Lawyers for the men argued that prosecutors needed to prove why the image on the T-shirts supported the IRA and had not provided any corroboration. The prosecution said that only the breach of the peace required to be proved. The sheriffs ruled that prosecutors had not established that the men wore the T-shirts in support of the IRA and had not committed a breach of the peace.

Mr Turnbull said in his judgment: “Only the evidence of Constable Nixon was capable of establishing that the T-shirts displayed an image of a figure related to and in support of the IRA. The evidence of Constables Stirling and Taylor did not.”

Mr Turnbull acknowledged that the wearing of the T-shirt could provoke fury from Linfield supporters.

He said: “It is difficult but to conclude that the wearing of such T-shirts amounted to a deliberately provocative gesture directed towards the Linfield support. The wearing of such T-shirts in near proximity to the opposing supporters within or around a football stadium is conduct which, if proved, would in our view present as genuinely alarming and disturbing, in context, to any reasonable person.”

The Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service said it noted the decision and would consider the judgment.

Deendants lawyers argued that the prosecution didn't prove why there was support for the IRA by wearing the T-shirts. Yet the Judge that overturned it acknowledged it could provoke fury (clearly instigating a breach of the peace then).

I'm no lawyer or judge but WTF!!!?

• Replies 41.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, superallysbears said:

Sutton is a weapon and I think they're beginning to actually realise that the league is slipping away from them, coming out with more and more outrageous comments, I think they protest too much, Mon Hivs blow their minds today.

Think if Hibs get a result today they'll be major upset amongst them. Possibly with lennon getting sacked or high demand for it. 
importantly if they do drop points it makes tomorrow even more important to get a result and apply more pressure 

On 19/11/2020 at 22:38, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Only looked back the last couple of pages, so apologies if this has already been ridiculed further back, but what the fuck is McLeish doing talking the fenians up about signing Dean Henderson on loan?

What's he doing saying a good keeper is a good keeper?

Cant see hivs getting anything here today these mankpots know there season is hanging by a thread if they drop points today before they play us they have a SC final to play on the 20 Dec where everything goes for us we go another 3pts ahead i can only hope i am wrong

Be surprised if they dropped points to anyone other than us. As big a shit show as they’ve been, we’re only 1 win better off than them. They don’t make a habit of dropping points to the shite in this league. 

Never know though. Always hope. 

4 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Be surprised if they dropped points to anyone other than us. As big a shit show as they’ve been, we’re only 1 win better off than them. They don’t make a habit of dropping points to the shite in this league. 

Never know though. Always hope. 

I agree. Providing we don’t collapse like we did after Christmas last year this season will be won and lost by the OF games. They might be shite this season, but they’re still better than the rest of the shite in our league.

1 hour ago, superallysbears said:

Sutton is a weapon and I think they're beginning to actually realise that the league is slipping away from them, coming out with more and more outrageous comments, I think they protest too much, Mon Hivs blow their minds today.

Didn't bother wasting my precious time reading his piece today when opened with saying Edouard was the best player in the league by some distance. He's not even the best player for them. 

4 minutes ago, Blueshoff said:

The covid thing is confusing - I thought two of theirs had to isolate after international duty but they are starting today and Turnbull tested positive and trained with the first team (if earlier poster is correct) but only he is sent home. 

Yeah it was Ajer and The striker, they were told/trusted to isolated  for 10 days by the norway officals (who originally wanted to keep them in norway). 

the rules regarding covid are extremely muddy and honestly hibs should be kicking up more fuss about ajer and the striker

Archived