Change of shape?

Yesterday we set up with a 4-3-1-2 instead of the 4-3-2-1. Small change but made a big difference. Admittedly, it's hard to judge against 10 men but I think players like Aribo and most noticeably Ryan Kent benefitted from this. I also think the strikers worked well as a two and was one of Roofe's best games. Would this formation be a better option for next season? I get if it ain't broke don't fix it but it solves a lot of our problems for me, mainly the 2nd no.10 position.

1 minute ago, Essandoh said:

No reason why we can’t and shouldn’t switch between both when it’s appropriate

Probably been one of my consistent gripes over the years that we have never had another plan. Never really needed it this year but aye definitely a good option to have.

25 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Still think Roofe was still played as one of the 10s rather than a 9. Just pushed up when Alfie dropped off. Kent was just given the freedom to scare the shit out of them at will.

I thought Roofe was much more central with Alfie occupying the wider areas and dropping deep. Kent with that freedom as the sole 10 though was more effective than the two ten's.

2 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

I thought Roofe was much more central with Alfie occupying the wider areas and dropping deep. Kent with that freedom as the sole 10 though was more effective than the two ten's.

Either way it fucked them up. Bealeball back to it's very best :lol:

Alfies teamwork and buildup play this season has been a major part of our success in the league. Always dropping off or wide.

Just now, esquire8 said:

Either way it fucked them up. Bealeball back to it's very best :lol:

Alfies teamwork and buildup play this season has been a major part of our success in the league. Always dropping off or wide.

Absolutely mate. Not one other striker in our team can replicate his work rate and link up play. That alone adds value. People think scouts just look for goals to games but that's the kind of stuff they report back. Every manager wants a player that will get dirt on his shirt. Can train how to finish, canny train work rate.

3 hours ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Yesterday we set up with a 4-3-1-2 instead of the 4-3-2-1. Small change but made a big difference. Admittedly, it's hard to judge against 10 men but I think players like Aribo and most noticeably Ryan Kent benefitted from this. I also think the strikers worked well as a two and was one of Roofe's best games. Would this formation be a better option for next season? I get if it ain't broke don't fix it but it solves a lot of our problems for me, mainly the 2nd no.10 position.

Kent should be given a free role every game like walter used to give laudrup, 

Really enjoyed the change of shape

Kent given that freedom as the sole 10 was absolutely fantastic 

Finally found a suitable role for Roofe as a kind of second striker playing off Morelos but ahead of Kent 

Hopefully an option we use a bit more often to mix things up 

2 hours ago, Broxi said:

Think it was clearly a 4-3-1-2 and I quite liked it tbh. Gets Roofe up front and Kent roaming wherever he wants.

Would be up for seeing it again in the next 2 games to see how it works. If we go back to 4-3-3 then fair enough 

I think you might even get more out of Itten with that shape.

Given how good our full backs are getting as many bodies central is key. Whether that is a 2-1 or a 1-2 I suppose doesn’t matter although within the current squad I think we should as much as possible get Morelos & Roofe as natural goalscorers on the pitch as much as possible. Suspect Itten would be much more effective in a 2 as well