Pace & intensity

hammer93

42 minutes ago, Vanoli said:

As good as Davis has been, its time to give Kamara the reins and put him the middle of the midfield three for me. Same class and composure on the ball, but with more energy and intensity defensively. Would put a stop to wee diddy teams dragging us in to deep water like last weekend and has us playing the game 10 yards further forward. 

Glen Kamara is worth easily 20M

Huge difference from midweek, love us when we move the ball quicker such a better team. Hagi, Roofe and Kamara all make a difference for me. Bassey and Patterson both class as well. Will say one slight criticism would’ve been Goldson still looks like he’s lacking a bit of confidence still a few slack passes. 

29 minutes ago, stuart1994 said:

Huge difference from midweek, love us when we move the ball quicker such a better team. Hagi, Roofe and Kamara all make a difference for me. Bassey and Patterson both class as well. Will say one slight criticism would’ve been Goldson still looks like he’s lacking a bit of confidence still a few slack passes. 

I think Goldson seems over confident if anything. Thinking he can do things that he can't. Needs to just keep it simple.

8 hours ago, Born Sinner said:

We were better technically this evening. Let us move the ball around much more quickly.

Previous games where it’s getting stuck under our feet and passes going behind players, never going to hurt a team playing like that.

Thank fuck a vast reduction in the back passing and square passing last night. From the varied play, tempo and intensity far better and sustained it to the end, mainly due to the changes in personnel. Different mentality.

Goldson for me still too slow at bringing it out, along with Aribo who still takes too many touches and slows the tempo. If he could get over this, he would be an even better player than he already is. 

Kamara and Roofe take this side to a different level. Throw in Hagi and it’s three players with genuine quality. Had said three been available for Malmo, we would have progressed. The Slavia game hurt us in a number of ways.
We are always at our best when we move the ball with pace, movement up top / interchangeable runners and play with that intensity and penetration. Off the ball hunger and desire to win the ball back too.

I also feel like our attitude towards an inferior team in the cup was spot on as well. Too many times we’ve been so guilty of expecting to turn up in the cup and win. For every other team in Scotland it’s their only chance of winning anything so good to see us taking it as seriously as they do now

23 minutes ago, DiamondDan said:

I think the issue with recent performances is definitely a lack of urgency and high tempo.

However, I think one of the main reasons behind that lack of tempo is that players are scared to lose the ball and take risks.

Playing with a high tempo requires a lot of one touch lay offs in the final 3rd to allow the team to capitalise on less predictable runs in behind.

If you're playing one touch stuff it's easier to lose the ball. The safer option,and what has been happening, is that individuals are taking a couple of touches to compose themselves and then playing a safe pass to a full back who is in space. By which time the opposition have 10 men behind the ball. 

It takes more bravery to take a risk and dink it round the corner centrally when you may be hit on the break, but the rewards are higher.

Last night there was freedom to take risks because they were shit. Hopefully they're as brave come Thursday.

I'll be surprised if the gaffer doesn't have the usual favourites back in and we revert to the usual controlled ponderous shite, which at this time we haven't even been doing that well.

He may start with Hagi, but if the usual suspects are back in, they will only stifle him, as the movement will be shite and back to the 5 yard side pass to the closest player as the oppo stand yawning in their ten man defence waiting on us coming forward.

Or indeed, the gaffer learns the lesson.

1 hour ago, DiamondDan said:

I think the issue with recent performances is definitely a lack of urgency and high tempo.

However, I think one of the main reasons behind that lack of tempo is that players are scared to lose the ball and take risks.

Playing with a high tempo requires a lot of one touch lay offs in the final 3rd to allow the team to capitalise on less predictable runs in behind.

If you're playing one touch stuff it's easier to lose the ball. The safer option,and what has been happening, is that individuals are taking a couple of touches to compose themselves and then playing a safe pass to a full back who is in space. By which time the opposition have 10 men behind the ball. 

It takes more bravery to take a risk and dink it round the corner centrally when you may be hit on the break, but the rewards are higher.

Last night there was freedom to take risks because they were shit. Hopefully they're as brave come Thursday.

Davis not playing helped..........

Pace and intensity was definitely a vital factor in that performance as we overwhelmed a very ordinary team, but there was also the return of the hunger factor. Our players really wanted so badly to win that game and their attitude was spot on. 

More of the same please and we are in for another successful season.