Independent review of the SPFL

MattyBlue

So those five clubs have commissioned a review to looking at getting more money in to the SPFL? Basically, they realise Doncaster ain’t doing his job right and trying to do something about it. I fail to see the problem with them doing that. The problem is with the SPFL not doing it’s job right.

2 minutes ago, left winger said:

So those five clubs have commissioned a review to looking at getting more money in to the SPFL? Basically, they realise Doncaster ain’t doing his job right and trying to do something about it. I fail to see the problem with them doing that. The problem is with the SPFL not doing it’s job right.

Doncaster will just hire in yet another consultancy firm to do the work as usual.

1 minute ago, Prso's headband said:

It’s endorsed by the SPFL which means two things; 

Nothing about the running of the SPFL will be questioned as to why the game needs more money. 

The invisible 400k a year man has 5 other clubs doing his job, which is to find money and sponsorship deals that are worth it. 

Delusional to think this’ll be any sort of success 

Five clubs have decided, amongst themselves, basically, that the SPFL board/Doncaster is not fit for purpose when it comes to generating income for the SPFL. So they are spending their own money on this report in an effort to improve that situation. The SPFL have, in effect, no option, but to endorse it. Why would you oppose a report set out solely to benefit your own organisation? These five clubs have commissioned a report that will potentially undermine the SPFL, yet got it’s backing for that report. 

10 minutes ago, left winger said:

Five clubs have decided, amongst themselves, basically, that the SPFL board/Doncaster is not fit for purpose when it comes to generating income for the SPFL. So they are spending their own money on this report in an effort to improve that situation. The SPFL have, in effect, no option, but to endorse it. Why would you oppose a report set out solely to benefit your own organisation? These five clubs have commissioned a report that will potentially undermine the SPFL, yet got it’s backing for that report. 

The fact that it’s ‘SPFL’ endorsed means that’s probably not the focus. Let’s not kid ourselves. 

I’d imagine given neither us or the filth are part of it that it’ll focus on broader distribution of commercial income (e.g. bulk not going to us). 

7 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

The fact that it’s ‘SPFL’ endorsed means that’s probably not the focus. Let’s not kid ourselves. 

I’d imagine given neither us or the filth are part of it that it’ll focus on broader distribution of commercial income (e.g. bulk not going to us). 

‘the primary focus on identifying ways of unlocking significant additional revenues for the benefit of all in professional Scottish club football’.

I have no issues with that. Don’t see why anyone would, tbh. 

5 minutes ago, left winger said:

‘the primary focus on identifying ways of unlocking significant additional revenues for the benefit of all in professional Scottish club football’.

I don't have any issues with that side of the investigation either. Maximising revenue should be the core goal for every club and also the spfl, so the fact the review is going ahead is a positive. 

The issue of course is that the review won't be looking into corporate governance or the current failings of the spfl board. 

You would hope that the review would maybe highlight that current deals are low compared to nations of similar UEFA standings, but the fact the review is endorsed by the spfl I assume shows that the review will be fairly narrow in focus. 

10 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

I don't have any issues with that side of the investigation either. Maximising revenue should be the core goal for every club and also the spfl, so the fact the review is going ahead is a positive. 

The issue of course is that the review won't be looking into corporate governance or the current failings of the spfl board. 

You would hope that the review would maybe highlight that current deals are low compared to nations of similar UEFA standings, but the fact the review is endorsed by the spfl I assume shows that the review will be fairly narrow in focus. 

Yeah, a review into the SPFL’s governance won’t get sufficient support from other clubs. They’ll all be happy with potentially more money, though. Hopefully, this is the first tangible step towards an effective SPFL board (effective in relation to the game, as a whole).

26 minutes ago, left winger said:

Is “identifying ways of unlocking significant additional revenues” not what they pay Doncaster for? If not, what the fuck is he there for?

If this was meaningful, he should be shitting himself. Effectively, the review should be finding out why he brings in so few sponsorship deals and why they’re so lousy when he does.

Of course he may be all smiles and positive on the outside but raging on the inside but this has the feel of a complete non-event.

2 hours ago, Colin Traive said:

Is “identifying ways of unlocking significant additional revenues” not what they pay Doncaster for? If not, what the fuck is he there for?

If this was meaningful, he should be shitting himself. Effectively, the review should be finding out why he brings in so few sponsorship deals and why they’re so lousy when he does.

Of course he may be all smiles and positive on the outside but raging on the inside but this has the feel of a complete non-event.

Yes, of course it is. This is where this report, and it’s very existence, is potentially very important. If this determines that there are potentially more revenue streams the SPFL is not looking at, and actually identifies them, then that is good for the clubs in Scotland and bad for the current SPFL board.

As for Doncaster, specifically, I can’t see how this will be beneficial to him, in any way.

1 hour ago, left winger said:

Yes, of course it is. This is where this report, and it’s very existence, is potentially very important. If this determines that there are potentially more revenue streams the SPFL is not looking at, and actually identifies them, then that is good for the clubs in Scotland and bad for the current SPFL board.

As for Doncaster, specifically, I can’t see how this will be beneficial to him, in any way.

Will be interesting to find out why the cinch spfl consultants are getting a drop of £!00K a year for the next 5 years.
Would piss myself if the speccy chief exec was implicated.