Roy Makaay discussion

Essandoh

2 hours ago, Essandoh said:

Football was better in the early 2000s and I’ll not hear any different

Even with money beginning to take over the Premiership down south, the product wasn’t completely watered down like it is now

Every team seemed to have that iconic player with individual brilliance that could turn a game on its head. Players are over trained now. Grumble grumble.

The games become robotic and the magic is gone 

I used to watch as much football as possible, now it’s like watching paint dry 

If only he could volley the ball:pipe:

Seriously though, I never knew he was that good a finisher, lost count in that video at how many times the ball got played over the top for him to either catch first time or one bounce and the ball is rocketed into the top corner 

2 hours ago, Essandoh said:

What a player he was back in the day. Elite goal scorer.

Stating the obvious but it’s a great time to be a striker at Rangers with Jermain Defoe and Roy Makaay as your mentors. Absolute fountain of knowledge for everyone in the squad.

It’ll be interesting to see if Alfie’s game adapts at all to being more selfish/direct while staying nearer the box area, rather than dropping deeper like he has for some time now.

He seems very highly rated as a coach.

that’s quite a show reel:

Pile drivers, volleys, headers, running away from markers with ease, long range chips, sklafs, dinks, curlers…he had the lot 

what a talent he was.

Daft I know, but I don’t really take to him  at the time as he was the absolute spitting image of an arsehole I worked for :) 

2 hours ago, Rangers_no1 said:

:love:

Valeron, Riquelme, Zidane and Xavi. Probably my 4 favourite midfielders ever.

Dunno if I could put a list together :lol: 

Zidane, Redondo, Valeron, Riquelme definitely for me in terms of passers/playmakers.

But guys like Effenburg, Matthaus and Simeone are some of my others in terms of box to box / all action. Also loved the Valencia midfield of Baraja, Angulo, Aimar and Albelda.

Vlad Jugovic is a player I always loved too.

2 hours ago, Rangers_no1 said:

:love:

Valeron, Riquelme, Zidane and Xavi. Probably my 4 favourite midfielders ever.

16 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Zidane, Redondo, Valeron, Riquelme definitely for me in terms of passers/playmakers.

But guys like Effenburg, Matthaus and Simeone are some of my others in terms of box to box / all action. Also loved the Valencia midfield of Baraja, Angulo, Aimar and Albelda.

Busquets is on my list. What a glorious player. Pirlo too - if considering pure passing ability, not sure he can be left out of the conversation. 

Loved Seedorf too

9 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

Busquets is on my list. What a glorious player. Pirlo too - if considering pure passing ability, not sure he can be left out of the conversation. 

Loved Seedorf too

Yeah I'd certainly rate Busquets and Pirlo (and many others) above a lot of those players but they were just my favourites.

Would say that if Redondo hadn't done his knee then Pirlo becomes a legend at Inter rather than Milan.

2002-3 was when I really got into football so my earliest memory of him was scoring twice against Celtic the day after we beat Stuttgart. Found out their result on the teletext.

I genuinely thought he was Scottish at the time, didn’t realise he was Dutch until he played for Holland at Euro 2004 😂 

43 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

You could go on and on but for me - Riquelme, Inniesta, Zidane, Xavi

Nice to see them all in person too.

Then you have the individuals

Messi, Ronaldo(s), Kaka, Ronaldhino

2 minutes ago, G.E.C. said:

2002-3 was when I really got into football so my earliest memory of him was scoring twice against Celtic the day after we beat Stuttgart.

I genuinely thought he was Scottish at the time, didn’t realise he was Dutch until he played for Holland in Euro 2004 😂 

Rob Roy Makaay

24 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

Loved Seedorf too

Busquets was more important to that Barca team than Xavi or Iniesta were. If I'm making a perfect anchorman in midfield, it's just Busquets.

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Busquets was more important to that Barca team than Xavi or Iniesta were. If I'm making a perfect anchorman in midfield, it's just Busquets.

Controversial, not sure I agree. World class player obviously but that’s a huge statement.

Just now, Big Al 55 said:

Controversial, not sure I agree. World class player obviously but that’s a huge statement.

I don't think he was better than either of them, just that what he done was more important to letting others shine at Barca - while protecting a fairly makeshift defence with the likes of Mascherano as a CB.