Roy Makaay discussion

Essandoh

3 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

I still think the one who got away from that era who we should have gone after was Robbie Fowler when he went to Leeds. He would have been incredible for us.

https://www.facebook.com/RangersFCVideos/videos/robbie-fowler-scores-for-Rangers-v-middlesbrough/497476617123150/

Robbie Fowler scores for Rangers

5AB40B51-87F6-488B-97C4-FB607660EE9C.jpeg

9DA1AE24-72EE-4D15-9FB6-554D3BFBB961.jpeg

3874BAB9-04D6-4A09-9B6D-231C97063D54.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

Morten Gamst-Pedersen at Blackburn

Steed Malbranque

8 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

I think he was at Mallorca when we tried to get him.

Did we not also try and sign Hakan Sukur too? That might have been McLeish era rather than Advocaat though.

We were linked with Kakan Yakin every window for about 5 years :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

Always think that, with strikers, it’s instinctive, not necessarily something you can teach or coach.

Most successful managers seem to be former centre backs or midfielders, not so many great strikers.

You can obviously coach strikers to get better.

2 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

Agreed but you know what I mean.

“Do I take another touch or just hit it?”

Spur of the moment thing.

Aye things like finishing can be instinctive but movement etc is coachable

1 hour ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Him and Pauleta up front. Some strike force.

Then when Pauleta went it was him with Diego Tristan and Walter Pandiani.

Football used to be so much better.

No really, we all just think that, judging by the era you think was the best I am probably about 10 years older than you. Anyone from my generation would go on about Vialli, Baggio, Weah and Serie A being better than when La Liga took over.

Folk will be posting on here in 15 years time about how much better it was when we had guys like Tav and Davis playing....

3 minutes ago, DiamondDan said:

No really, we all just think that, judging by the era you think was the best I am probably about 10 years older than you. Anyone from my generation would go on about Vialli, Baggio, Weah and Serie A being better than when La Liga took over.

Folk will be posting on here in 15 years time about how much better it was when we had guys like Tav and Davis playing....

Not really my point and I didn't say that area was the best I said football was much better.

I freely admit that nowadays players are much fitter and technically are far superior to 10 years ago. The average football game is much better from a technical point by a country mile.

But a lot of magic has gone out the game since around 2011 with the move to system based tactics, high and relentless pressing, the concept of domination of possession as a largely defensive first strategy rather than an attacking one, and the rise of sport science and data analytics.

2 hours ago, psb07158 said:

He was a class player man, Deportivo had a fantastic team that won La Liga and he scored 20+ goals

He always had the misfortune of playing at the same time as Kluivert initially and Van Nistelrooy latterly, meaning his international caps were restricted to sub appearances

2 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

1 hour ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Tristan is one of my favourite ever players. 

Deportivo were cracking to watch. 

https://youtu.be/nLxavokhgtI

One thing I really resent is how soft the game has gone with fouls. The whole protection of better players and the concept of the game should be played a certain way has removed a lot of theatre. 

It was a bit like bullfighting, half the spectacle was seeing Maradona slipping away from Goikoetxea, or Baggio doing the same with someone like Paolo Montero, with the threat of being absolutely gored in the process and not even picking up a booking. They could be brutally fouled three or four times by the same player but then skip past them, or turn them inside out to set up a brilliant goal. It made you appreciate it more than seeing someone like Messi skip past 6 players without even being touched.

The same goes for the removal of the three foreigner rule. The clash of styles between different countries at the highest level in Europe was brilliant. Now all elite clubs are a much of a muchness and can hoard talent more. 

2 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Djalminha behind creating everything what a team.

Shouldve won a Champions League then.

1 hour ago, McEwan's Lager said:

One thing I really resent is how soft the game has gone with fouls. The whole protection of better players and the concept of the game should be played a certain way has removed a lot of theatre. 

It was a bit like bullfighting, half the spectacle was seeing Maradona slipping away from Goikoetxea, or Baggio doing the same with someone like Paolo Montero, with the threat of being absolutely gored in the process. They could be brutally fouled three or four times by the same player but then skip past them, or turn them inside out to set up a brilliant goal. It made you appreciate it more than seeing someone like Messi skip past 6 players without even being touched.

The same goes for the removal of the three foreigner rule. The clash of styles between different countries at the highest level in Europe was brilliant. Now all elite clubs are a much of a muchness and can hoard talent more. 

The last paragraph is one the biggest disappointments for me.

Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, British, German, Yugoslav and so on all used to have distinctive styles. Going to Belgrade or Athens was like going to a completely different footballing culture, on and off the pitch. None of the teams that come to Ibrox now are distinguishable in terms of regional style. 

In so many ways football is more vanilla now.