Biggest signing in your lifetime?

G.E.C.

18 minutes ago, Badger said:

Either way, Ramsay is probably the biggest name signing in Scottish football since Roy Keane signed for the tramps 17yrs ago (although he was shot as a player by then, but regardless.... was the Man Utd captain)

That was 17 years ago? Fuckin' hell, time flies

Player wise has to be Gazza, for overhauling the club then the Souness signing was every bit as huge.....honourable mentions to Laudrup & De Boer and in current times this today is massive.....for years I have read on here that we would never see a world class player playing for us in Scotland ever again.....today ladies & gents we have as close to world class as we could imagine 

How big was signing Amoruso at the time? I was lucky to see him in his last season but too young to remember 1997.

Came from Serie A when it was the best league in the world from Fiorentina and apparently we managed to offer more money than Man U.

7 minutes ago, G.E.C. said:

How big was signing Amoruso at the time? I was lucky to see him in his last season but too young to remember 1997.

Came from Serie A when it was the best league in the world from Fiorentina and apparently we managed to offer more money than Man U.

Not any more than Negri or Porrini really, but was still regarded as a big signing. He was Fiorentina captain, and Porrini had just won the Champions League. Thern was probably the marquee signing that window, he was Roma and Sweden captain at the time and to be fair was a ridiculously good player. 

The lassies went mental when big Amo turned up with the shades! 

There has been a few signings in my time that made me think WOW .

Souness ,Johnson ,Laudrup ,Boli (I know but he had just scored a CL winning goal ,Gazza and Ronald De Boer .

These were all done in a different era though a time where TV cash wasn’t so significant and there were fewer leagues able to compete with what we could offer .

Ramsay on paper isn’t quite on the same level as Gazza,Laudrup or De Boer but given the financial challenges we face these days when the minute we get a decent young player he’s gone to clubs nowhere near our size .For that reason Ramsay is right up there with our best signings in my time .

Probably early December time I heard that he was out of favour at Juve ,Thought that he would be a cert to be a Newcastle signing .That’s how good this guy is .

9 minutes ago, magic8ball said:

There has been a few signings in my time that made me think WOW .

Souness ,Johnson ,Laudrup ,Boli (I know but he had just scored a CL winning goal ,Gazza and Ronald De Boer .

These were all done in a different era though a time where TV cash wasn’t so significant and there were fewer leagues able to compete with what we could offer .

Ramsay on paper isn’t quite on the same level as Gazza,Laudrup or De Boer but given the financial challenges we face these days when the minute we get a decent young player he’s gone to clubs nowhere near our size .For that reason Ramsay is right up there with our best signings in my time .

Probably early December time I heard that he was out of favour at Juve ,Thought that he would be a cert to be a Newcastle signing .That’s how good this guy is .

I remember Boli was talked up more than Laudrup, be was only a couple of million i’m sure. 
I got to kick a ball about with Stuart McCall that pre season n I asked about Boli. He told me he was solid but that Laudrup was the one that would stand out. Said you couldnt get the ball off him. 

3 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Can't believe nobody is mentioning Flo. What a massive signing that was despite how it turned out.

I watched Flo at Chelsea and always wondered how he would get on at another club being a first on the sheet striker .He was never first choice but always held his own .

He was actually ok for us despite what was said at the time .He was always compared to the dreadlock prick at the piggery and given a hard time in the media .

It was a different era and the media wasn’t quite as biased .I remember at the time .Rab Douglas and Stefan Klos made almost identical mistakes in the CL in the same week ,Douglas was ripped and Klos left alone .

2 minutes ago, WWTC said:

I remember Boli was talked up more than Laudrup, be was only a couple of million i’m sure. 
I got to kick a ball about with Stuart McCall that pre season n I asked about Boli. He told me he was solid but that Laudrup was the one that would stand out. Said you couldnt get the ball off him. 

Not a lot was made about Laudrup at the time .I remember watching him at Euro92 and he was outstanding .Probably the player of the tournament.There was another Dane Fleming Poulsen who I was desperate for us to sign .simply because ,even in those days I thought Laudrup was well out our league .

5 minutes ago, magic8ball said:

I watched Flo at Chelsea and always wondered how he would get on at another club being a first on the sheet striker .He was never first choice but always held his own .

He was actually ok for us despite what was said at the time .He was always compared to the dreadlock prick at the piggery and given a hard time in the media .

It was a different era and the media wasn’t quite as biased .I remember at the time .Rab Douglas and Stefan Klos made almost identical mistakes in the CL in the same week ,Douglas was ripped and Klos left alone .

People make out Flo was shite, but he was that shite we got £7M back for him nearly 20years ago. You’re right, he was a bit like Solskaer at man u, never quite first choice but a good player. Made a career out of it. 

We were spoiled then. I remember getting the flier through for the Nike day, Rangers V Rangers, and a picture of all our signings lined up with “£15Million” under it. 
Laudrup was announced as the new captain at the game. 

31 minutes ago, WWTC said:

People make out Flo was shite, but he was that shite we got £7M back for him nearly 20years ago. You’re right, he was a bit like Solskaer at man u, never quite first choice but a good player. Made a career out of it. 

We were spoiled then. I remember getting the flier through for the Nike day, Rangers V Rangers, and a picture of all our signings lined up with “£15Million” under it. 
Laudrup was announced as the new captain at the game. 

I think that was the game where a free ticket was issued if you bought a top .

I remember being in town the day the top came out .I went in to get one .Saw 4 players walking up Buchanan st ,Durie ,Albertz ,McLaren and Rozenthal .Rozenthal drew me a dirty look ,Prick 😂