Biggest signing in your lifetime?

G.E.C.

16 minutes ago, magic8ball said:

I think that was the game where a free ticket was issued if you bought a top .

I remember being in town the day the top came out .I went in to get one .Saw 4 players walking up Buchanan st ,Durie ,Albertz ,McLaren and Rozenthal .Rozenthal drew me a dirty look ,Prick 😂

Never try to suck a player off on Buchanan St mate. Save that fornthe Savoy

3 hours ago, beararse said:

That’s what I was going to type.

Sourness and Gazza in terms of box office but Mo Johnston stopped eveyone in their tracks.

Every Rangers fan I know can remember where they were when they heard Johnston had signed!

I mind being in the womb when I heard, great times 

Souness, then Gazza for me. There have been other huge signings like Butcher, but they weren’t out of the blue like those two - if you just sign a player like Souness as player manager, a signing like Butcher isn’t entirely out of the question when English clubs are out of Europe. 

Just now, The Dude said:

And that Danish fella. 

When Laudrup joined us I thought we were getting a good addition to the team but had no idea he’d turn out to be one of our greatest ever player’s.

At the time of their signings I can’t separate Souness and Gazza.

7 minutes ago, Real Ranger said:

When Laudrup joined us I thought we were getting a good addition to the team but had no idea he’d turn out to be one of our greatest ever player’s.

At the time of their signings I can’t separate Souness and Gazza.

Laudrup had finished 5th in the Ballon D'Or a few years prior to joining us - despite having missed half the season. We were getting gold when we signed him.

15 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Laudrup had finished 5th in the Ballon D'Or a few years prior to joining us - despite having missed half the season. We were getting gold when we signed him.

As I remember it when he signed for us he’d had a bit of a torrid time in Italy and his brother Michael Laudrup was the real superstar in the family, but in hindsight you’re spot on when you say we were getting gold.

33 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Stéphane Guivarc'h signed just off the back of winning the World Cup im sure.

Turned out to be shite though.

That French team was amazing, but whilst they had guys who went on to be ATG strikers, they weren't in the squad in '98 as strikers (Henry was a winger). That French team was a bit light up top and they won the tournament pretty much playing without what was considered (at the time) a proper striker.

Guivarc'h and Dugarry were the guys considered proper strikers in that squad.

Gazza was the biggest star we ever signed, without a doubt. A household name in the uk and even abroad. Even if you knew nothing about football you knew who Gazza was. For me though the biggest was Terry Butcher. Rangers 5th in the scottish premier league one season going and getting one of the best international centre halfs in England when Man Utd wanted him the next. It felt absolutely unbelievable at the time.

Gazza by a Country mile, thousands on Edmiston drive to welcome him and thousands of kids dying their hair blonde. Johnston was the most controversial and Souness was a game changer but not in the same stratosphere as Gascoigne. He was the biggest British sporting superstar and one of the biggest names in football. Laudrup was the best player I’ve seen in Rangers blue though.

2 hours ago, They Gnu said:

Gazza by a Country mile, thousands on Edmiston drive to welcome him and thousands of kids dying their hair blonde. Johnston was the most controversial and Souness was a game changer but not in the same stratosphere as Gascoigne. He was the biggest British sporting superstar and one of the biggest names in football. Laudrup was the best player I’ve seen in Rangers blue though.

^^ What he said ^^ 

2 hours ago, northern bear said:

Pretty sure he was top scorer as well but I think he scored 4 against Cameroon or someone similar. He was fucking shite 😂

Think you’re thinking of Salenko mate, he scored 5 against Cameron in 94. Don’t think Guivarch scored.